Get Geared Up for Hoosier Turkey Season!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    I'm itching to get out there. I am excited to try out my TurkeyFan and Avian X hen decoy.

I have an Avian-X hen decoy, a gift from a very great buddy! Just last evening, I ordered an Avian-X Jake quarter-strut decoy. There was a great article in the April American Hunter where they interviewed a couple professional turkey callers and I guess well renowned turkey hunters. The first guy said the Avian-X Jake decoys were fantastic because of all the red they put on the head. He said the Toms` seem to come right in to the red, they lock onto that. We shall see shortly. It`s troubling though that Leadeye says he`s already hearing gobbling and seeing strutters. I hope it`s not over by the time we can get after them!

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    By the time our (extremely late) hunting season rolls around, there won't be a gobbler in the state that hasnt had all the tail he wants.

Does anyone else think our season is crazy late or am I the crazy one?

71silverbullet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Oct 30, 2010
    Southern, In
    Indiana's season is way late. With the state being long like it is, it should be devided up or something. I live in the south central part of the state, and they have been gobbling and strutting for a coupe weeks now.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Indiana's season is way late. With the state being long like it is, it should be devided up or something. I live in the south central part of the state, and they have been gobbling and strutting for a coupe weeks now.

This ^^^ I've been hearing gobbling for 2 weeks now. As a matter of fact, it seems like the gobbling has tapered off a bit now. I think in 3 more weeks when season finally opens they'll be done for sure...

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    By the time our (extremely late) hunting season rolls around, there won't be a gobbler in the state that hasnt had all the tail he wants.

Does anyone else think our season is crazy late or am I the crazy one?

I know a bunch of guys, myself included that may not hunt this year....They are gobbling in Perry County all over our new place and have been for two weeks....

Tom Threetoes

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2010
    Southwestern IN
    I don't understand the logic behind such a late opening date. To add insult to injury the woods will be so greened up and thick you can't see the gobblers till they're too close anyway.

yetti462

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 18, 2016
    Unglaciated heaven
    I don't understand the logic behind such a late opening date. To add insult to injury the woods will be so greened up and thick you can't see the gobblers till they're too close anyway.

The good ole IDNR. March along as usual and fear any change. I'm not going to rant about the IDNR, but they suck. I asked a biologist with the IDNR, not going to name drop, why Indiana has such a late season? He said, "the hens should all be nesting, and the toms will be more responsive to calls, hunter success should be high." Indiana needs to open a youth season a couple of weeks before regular season and make it fun for beginning hunters.

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    The good ole IDNR. March along as usual and fear any change. I'm not going to rant about the IDNR, but they suck. I asked a biologist with the IDNR, not going to name drop, why Indiana has such a late season? He said, "the hens should all be nesting, and the toms will be more responsive to calls, hunter success should be high." Indiana needs to open a youth season a couple of weeks before regular season and make it fun for beginning hunters.

I`ll say this: I`m not necessarily a fan of the timing of the Indiana Spring Wild Turkey season, I`d love to see it open two weeks earlier, but, I also feel that these decisions should be left in the hands of the professional game biologists, who have the best interests of both the game and non-game species, and the habitat at heart. Hunters want to bag game, and our perspectives aren`t as long-term as the biologists at DNR. The DNR has a tough job, and I feel overall, they are extremely good at what they do, and the way they do it.

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    I`ll say this: I`m not necessarily a fan of the timing of the Indiana Spring Wild Turkey season, I`d love to see it open two weeks earlier, but, I also feel that these decisions should be left in the hands of the professional game biologists, who have the best interests of both the game and non-game species, and the habitat at heart. Hunters want to bag game, and our perspectives aren`t as long-term as the biologists at DNR. The DNR has a tough job, and I feel overall, they are extremely good at what they do, and the way they do it.

Perhaps. But while I'm not allowed to hunt turkeys on my Indiana farm that nearly borders Illinois, my brother in law just over the border is sending me pics of the turkeys he bagged. Surely 50 miles can't justify starting the season several weeks behind?

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    No, it can't. Indiana has biologists but who is to say they're any good at their jobs? If there were any emphasis whatsoever on hunter success the season would be weeks earlier. Waiting for the hens to nest is ridiculous, hens aren't in season and if there aren't enough toms then close the season or have limited tags or something. OTC tags and a season two to three weeks late every year is nothing more than generating revenue while reducing hunter success.

yetti462

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 18, 2016
    Unglaciated heaven
    ^^^agree. Most surrounding states have 2 bird limits too. In Kansas the season in 1 month long, two bird limit in spring and have had a huntable population years behind Indiana.
    If indiana paid their dnr employees a little better, they might get some talent, and get them to stay.

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    I know a bunch of guys, myself included that may not hunt this year....They are gobbling in Perry County all over our new place and have been for two weeks....

Well add another guy to that list. Me. I'll go do property work instead. I'm not even getting my gear out of the closet to prepare.

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    Well add another guy to that list. Me. I'll go do property work instead. I'm not even getting my gear out of the closet to prepare.

Too bad you`re not hunting. I couldn`t stand to let a season get away from me. Hopefully, I`ll be able to post pictures so you`ll at least see a turkey.

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    ^^^agree. Most surrounding states have 2 bird limits too. In Kansas the season in 1 month long, two bird limit in spring and have had a huntable population years behind Indiana.
    If indiana paid their dnr employees a little better, they might get some talent, and get them to stay.

Could the season seemingly be better timed to match up with gobbling activity? Yup, most years. Are birds still killable, even if the gobbling isn`t timed perfectly to the hunting season? Yup. It takes a little more woodsmanship, more of a dedicated effort. More time out in the field. Is a seasons standard of success based solely on whether a bird is brought to the bag? Possibly...for some. For me, I`ll drag myself out of bed early every day I can hunt, I`ll head out and see some of the most incredible sunrises I`ve ever seen. I`ll smell the moist earth as I settle in to call. Probably, I`ll hear at least a few birds gobble. With any luck I`ll see some birds, and if God really smiles down upon me, I may get to hoist a nice Eastern Gobbler upon my shoulder. I`ll spend time with some of the best buddies I`ve even known, we`ll meet up in the morning after the first hunt to have breakfast at the diner and swap stories. It will be wonderful, getting to relive this annual tradition of preparation, practice, and hunting with good, decent men, who are great friends. I wouldn`t miss this time for anything.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom