• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Toole

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    May 31, 2008
    Noblesville
    A buddy and I went down to a lodge in TN last weekend for a boar hunt. I was using my recently finished AR10 build and he was using his bow. I shot mine at about 100yrds, weighed in at 208. My buddy got one at about 45yrs with his bow that weight in around 225.
    That deer was out on the side of the road as we were walking out of the woods, one of the guys working at the lodge says it pretty much lives at the persons house and sleeps next to their dog in the yard every night.

EDIT: For those curious, this would actually probably be a better place to take a first time hunter or your kids. The main hunting area is 1000 acres but it's fenced in so the animals can only go so far. You can have a guide go with you, or they can take you out there and drop you off and you either walk back to the lodge when you're done or call (if you have signal... I definitely did not the entire time). You can do a walk and stalk (highly recommended, you can't walk for more than 15-20min without hearing or walking up on a group of boar... the deers and ram were considerably more spread out and harder to find) or they can drop you off at a shooting blind. The other people at the lodge were all very personable and good people. The employees were as well.
    The guide said they have roughly 4000 acres total so there are a couple other hunting areas aside from the 1000 acre main area but they are fenced in as well.
    website for the lodge: www.wildernesshuntinglodge.com

Last edited:

farmerdan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2009
    Thanks for sharing this, I'm wanting to go as soon as I can stay healthy. That's a neat picture of the deer. Dan

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Wow...elk too?

Now that's something I've never seen in the wild. I know Tennessee has been working on establishing herd(s) down there...looks like their work is paying off.

Toole

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    May 31, 2008
    Noblesville
    They've got about everything down there. Russian and razor back boar, doll rams, some other type of ram, buffalo/bison, water buffalo, red stag and sika deers, elk, ect

Steel and wood

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2016
    Tipton
    That looked like a good time. So was it worth it? Was going to go with my brother and nephew and my son would you recommend it?

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    That looks like a sambar stag but it could also be a sika (they all look similar but the sika is much smaller). In any case it is definitely not an elk.

That's one of their Red Stags

I think I agree. Once he indicated that he was on a preserve or something like that rather than a state park, it occured to me that thing looked different than what I'd expect an elk to look like.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    I think I agree. Once he indicated that he was on a preserve or something like that rather than a state park, it occured to me that thing looked different than what I'd expect an elk to look like.

Technically, elk and red stag are considered to be the same species despite the obvious differences in appearance.

JoeG1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 6, 2016
    Greenwood
    I am headed to Wilderness Lodge in September, I am excited. Hoping for a bigger hog, what would you say the average size was?

Top Bottom