Decisions, Decisions...what to use this deer season.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • clfergus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southeast Indy
    Back in 2016 I decided I needed to get a .308 and have been very happy with the results. Deer didn't run far at all before dropping. With these new regs set to possibly go into for this year, my .270 and .35 Rem are also gonna be in play.

The marlin in .35 might be fun but I hate the trigger. Do I work up a good load for the .270 or just stick with the .308.

yetti462

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 18, 2016
    Unglaciated heaven
    If the new regs get passed I'll for sure roll one with my 7mag and might as well see what the 45/70 will do too. If I fulfill my hankering for a 6.5CM i'll try it out as well.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    If the new proposals pass, I'll have at least 7 different handgun calibers available to use, and 8 different rifle calibers to choose from.
    After that, it will be a matter of choosing which gun in that caliber...

Options are a good thing.
    Variety is the spice of life.

Last edited:

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Isn't it great finally having as a difficulty deciding between multiple options for your deer rifle?
    I'm loving how my .30-06 performed first/last time round.

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    Isn't it great finally having as a difficulty deciding between multiple options for your deer rifle?
    I'm loving how my .30-06 performed first/last time round.
    Definitely. And about time.

I took 2 with the .308 and 1 with the 30-06. Maybe it was just a lucky shot, but the 30-06 looked like a scene from a hokey action movie. The round sent the deer flying!

Sling10mm

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2012
    Same dilemma here. I hunted with a Savage bolt gun in 308 last year, but never got a shot on a deer. Took a yote with it though. If the regs change I'll have to decide between the Savage in 308, Marlin in 44 Mag, Marlin in 45-70, or an AR in 6.8mm. Only one property would allow for the 308 or 6.8mm, so I guess I can mix it up a little bit.

clfergus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southeast Indy
    Personally I would just stick with the 308. At Indiana ranges your not anywhere near under gunned, and the deer will be just as dead.
    Probably a good idea. It took me awhile to find a load that the .308 liked. Ended up with 165 grain Federal Sierra Gamekings. Thinking about trying to find a load mt .270 will like and the cost doesn't sound as appealing. Need new arrows and broadheads this year.

BigMatt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 22, 2009
    Last year with my Model 70 Winchester in 30-06, I was really happy. The deer dropped in its tracks.

This year, I might have to break out the old Marlin 1893 in .32 Special. The LeverEvolution shoots really well out of it, but I would like to try some that I rolled too.

I can't wait.

Last edited:

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Last year with my Model 70 Winchester in 30-06, I was really happy. The deer dropped in its tracks.

This year, I might have to break out the old Marlin 1893 in .32 Special. The LeverEvolution shoots really well out of it, but I would like to try some that I rolled too.

I can't wait.

Why not have it both ways, i.e. Use the exact same bullet for the LeveRevolution ammo, but roll your own? - Hornady Manufacturing Company :: Bullets :: Rifle :: Choose by Caliber :: .321 32 CAL :: 32 Cal .321 165 GR FTX®

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Probably a good idea. It took me awhile to find a load that the .308 liked. Ended up with 165 grain Federal Sierra Gamekings. Thinking about trying to find a load mt .270 will like and the cost doesn't sound as appealing. Need new arrows and broadheads this year.

Its kind of a double edge sword. If your just wanting something to play with and do load development go for it, if your doing it for preformance or need then dont.

Hell Im considering building a 243 WSSM for deer hunting. Not because I need it, but because I was a project. 90gr Barnes TTSX going 3400FPS would make some powerful deer medicine, but I wont be shooting any further, or better with the WSSM than the 308 I currently use, its just an excuse to tinker in my mind.

BigMatt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 22, 2009

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Actually, I just picked up some of those bullets a while back and rolled some. I have 3 different loads ready to try at the range. The factory loaded stuff is really consistent though. I have never tried my hand loads for accuracy.

I'm confident that you can better the accuracy from what the Hornady factory gets, especially if you use some of the tricks (seating depth and neck sizing chief among them) that have been tried and true methods for squeezing smaller groups.

Top Bottom