• ...and so much more!
  • Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    151   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    I'm a gun guy, and pretty clueless about bows. Just picked up a used Mission 320 crossbow and getting about 2" groups at 40 yards with 125gr field points, I'm very impressed with it.

I want to take it out turkey hunting, and then later for deer. Folks at cabellas are telling me I need to ask around as to what broadheads are performing well with this particular crossbow. As for turkey, I'm open to both vital shot or guillotine type head removal hardware. As for deer, I'm open to both fixed or mechanical broadheads. Clueless on all accounts.

So, what say you ingo? Any recommendations?

sugarcreekbrass

Expert
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 29, 2015
    West central
    I am partial to Grim Reaper. They have several options in mechanical heads that will work well for any crossbow. They will shoot just like your field points and are devastating.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    on a mission, or another crossbow? Any advice considering broadheads? Or is this whole thing like debating modern HP bullets? Ha

I'm shooting a Scorpyd crossbow but I've never seen anything that suggested broad heads were specific to a particular brand of bow or crossbow.

Goodcat

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    151   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    I'm shooting a Scorpyd crossbow but I've never seen anything that suggested broad heads were specific to a particular brand of bow or crossbow.

That's good to hear. Sounds like cabelllas advice was like an LGS on the lifetime LTCH. Thx guys!

Goodcat

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    151   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    I am partial to Grim Reaper. They have several options in mechanical heads that will work well for any crossbow. They will shoot just like your field points and are devastating.

The razorcut from grim reaper seems gnarly. Good for turkey, deer, or is there a such thing as an all around good broadhead?

DEC

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 25, 2008
    Angola
    My youngest daughter has killed many deer with a crossbow over the years. She has always had great success with the Magnus Buzzcut heads. They fly great, leave nice holes, and come with a no questions asked lifetime replacement guarantee. Also take a look at their Black Hornet line of heads. Even bigger holes and a lot of crossbow guys are shooting them.

amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    If one of the "experts" in the archery department at Cabelas told you that some broadheads perform better with certain bows - that guy should ask for a transfer to the shoe department. I haven't shot any crossbows so I can't comment on them. I have shot either a Mathews or an Elite for the last 15 years. In that time I have killed whitetails that have weighed over 200 lbs field dressed. Last year I shot a 400 lb black bear. I have never failed to recover an animal during that time. Some animals, including the bear, didn't go 20 yards after being hit.

Shot placement is foremost in archery. Some folks talk about kinetic energy which is a function of draw length, bow weight, arrow speed, and arrow/broadhead weight. Without proper shot placement kinetic energy is of little consequence. Firearms kill based on tissue destruction and the hydrostatic shock affect of the projectile. Conversely, a quick humane kill from an arrow occurs as the result of blood loss. ( Unless you happen, by accident, to hit the spine)

There is a whole litany of folks who will swear by or against mechanical vs fixed blade broadheads . . . or vic versa. That's a topic that requires a whole lot more time and space than can be resolved here.

To answer your question, the broadhead I would recommend is either an NAP mechanical ( they have several models) or the Grim Reaper, which is also a mechanical broadhead. I'm currently shooting an Elite E35 bow at 62 lbs with a 100 grain Grim Reaper broadhead attached to a 28.5" carbon arrow and 2" vanes - which provides plenty of "kinetic energy." The Grim Reaper has four blades and a cut on contact point. It leaves a great blood trail.

I think more important than the broadhead you choose or the bow model you shoot, you should practice and learn to shoot well. The game animal(s) deserve that.

Last edited:

sugarcreekbrass

Expert
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 29, 2015
    West central
    Grim Reaper has a "XBow" line that is the same as the regular heads in either the RazorTip or RazorCut. They are 3 blades and either 100 or 125gr. They also have the Pro Series line that works for crossbow or compound. I used the CarniFour 100 gr this year and was very pleased. Both deer only went 30-40 yds and both entrance and exit holes are the same size. Before season I shot one into a target at 20, 40, and 60 yds and they flew perfectly. I like the pro series because you get 4 heads for $5 more than 3 in the other lines. You just don't get a practice head with the pros. The one I shot into the target is what I used on the buck and doe I shot. It is still razor sharp and can be used again.

Goodcat

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    151   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    Thanks everyone! I've got some Magnus bullhead 3.75" 125 gr coming in for turkey and will be looking up all these broadheads for deer!

DEC

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 25, 2008
    Angola
    Thanks everyone! I've got some Magnus bullhead 3.75" 125 gr coming in for turkey and will be looking up all these broadheads for deer!

Be careful if you are shooting the 125's out of your X-bow. The problem can be clearance between the blades and the foot stirrup. You can make it work if you are real careful about blade positioning. I have an X-bow for my daughter that we have had a lot of success with, but I had a machined spacer made that drops the foot stirrup out of the way. 100 gr Bullheads work very nice out of an Xbow though and Magnus even sells a kit with the bolts with the correct spine. If you have any questions about Bullheads, please let me know. I have years of experience shooting them out of both compounds and Xbows. I am also a personal friend with the owner of Magnus. We have created an entire video series on getting setup to properly shoot Bullheads.

Top Bottom