My dog chewed on Myrtle ground cover and got real sick.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 1DOWN4UP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2015
    North of 30
    My year old pup ate a dead bird.He then coughed it up.He then chewed on Myrtle also known as periwinkle like a dog chews grass.He then coughed it up.He was not himself the rest of the day.He was not keeping down food or water.I thought it was the bird.The next day,he was not much better.I looked up periwinkle.It turns out to be poisonous to dogs and causes hallucinogens.No cure.I called Purdue,and they said if I am sure he has no more in his system...Just watch him.He is ok now.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Huh, didn't know that. I always figured they would know what they shouldn't eat, so ignored them when they would eat stuff.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    I hope he is okay. There are so many landscaping plants that are toxic to pets and livestock. Cornell University used to have a very comprehensive list of toxic plants on their web site. I used it a lot when I had my goats.

bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    I hope he is okay. There are so many landscaping plants that are toxic to pets and livestock. Cornell University used to have a very comprehensive list of toxic plants on their web site. I used it a lot when I had my goats.

Hmm I just figured a goat wouldn't eat anything that was bad for it. We had one and he was a bit on the picky side as to what he liked. We are planning on getting a couple in the near future and am soooo looking forward to it.

Wisteria was like crack to our goat. Anytime you even walked by the plant he would jump up on you wanting you to pick some for him.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Hmm I just figured a goat wouldn't eat anything that was bad for it. We had one and he was a bit on the picky side as to what he liked. We are planning on getting a couple in the near future and am soooo looking forward to it.

Wisteria was like crack to our goat. Anytime you even walked by the plant he would jump up on you wanting you to pick some for him.

Rhododendron and Azalea are HIGHLY toxic to goats. There are other plants as well, such as wilted leaves from any stone fruit (peaches, cherries, plums...anything with a pit) produce a tannin that is quite toxic. The fruit is safe and fresh leaves are as well, but I kept mine away from the trees since even a broken branch from a storm with wilting leaves could be an issue for them. They love blackberry bushes, poison ivy and other brush type plants. Blackberry leaves are also a great cure for scours (diarrhea) for them.

Top Bottom