Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Has anyone been to Crystal Colorado? Thinking about going in June and I am looking for some first hand info on the road.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Northing?:dunno:

The most photographed place in Colorado and no one on here has been there?

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    I lived in Colorado for 25 years. "Roads" is a rather broad term and is dependent on weather, time of year, etc.

That being said, a good friend in Indiana drove along I-70 on his way to Utah a couple of weeks ago. He wasn't comfortable with the drive. It was his first time in the mountains. So, like most things, YMMV. Drive slow, have 4WD available and you'll get up to Crystal.

ps. the most photographed area of Colorado is the Maroon Bells.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    I lived in Colorado for 25 years. "Roads" is a rather broad term and is dependent on weather, time of year, etc.

That being said, a good friend in Indiana drove along I-70 on his way to Utah a couple of weeks ago. He wasn't comfortable with the drive. It was his first time in the mountains. So, like most things, YMMV. Drive slow, have 4WD available and you'll get up to Crystal.

ps. the most photographed area of Colorado is the Maroon Bells.
    Thanks for the reply. As for the ps I only know what I read on the web. We are going to give it a go in June. I will report back on the results.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    The photographs are mostly postcards or the equivalent. The feint of heart never went to Marble and fewer went on up to the mill.

I spoke with my son who was in the area fishing about 5 years back. He said the road still needs 4WD and adequate clearance. He didn't mention a shovel or winch...which is an improvement over how that road used to be most of the year.

You can always check with the Forest Service or LEO's in Marble for up-to-date info.

Dave A

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 22, 2010
    Hancock Co.
    If you get tired of I-70, try highway 91 south at Copper Mtn. to Leadville. Then south on highway 24 and then west on highway 82 to Carbondale. There is usually a lot of traffic in Aspen otherwise it is a nice drive, better if you are on a nice road bike.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    I talked with a friend who has done some hunting in Colorado and showed him pictures from google. He seemed confident that we could make it ok. Time will tell. Going to drive up that way and see what it looks like.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Found some Youtube video of the road. I have no way of knowing if this is really the road or not. But if it is I think the chevy can make it up and back. Will find out in just over a month.

Dino Bravo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 20, 2015
    Cumberland
    I just realized this morning the background of the abandoned mill on my desktop was Crystal! We do want a return trip to Colorado, the state is too big to see everything in one week.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    I just realized this morning the background of the abandoned mill on my desktop was Crystal! We do want a return trip to Colorado, the state is too big to see everything in one week.
    It is a heavily photographed place. I have never been to Colorado but doing it in less than a month.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Leaving a week from tomorrow. Have to wiggle in a two day pistol match then it is on to Crystal, and a stop at Doc Holiday's grave.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Royce and I drove up to the Mill and the town of Crystal today. Holy Crap. I have not been able to upload pictures on here recently. We have some. I will have to get that figured out when we get home.

Calling it a road is an overstatement. The Silverado made it up and back. It was rough. It was very narrow and the drop off the side were extreme in a few places. Most nerve racking drive of my life. Royce was refusing to look out his window several times on the way up. Plenty of scenery. The Mill does just appear on the right eventually. Getting up there and back was a real sense of accomplishment. Plenty of water going over the falls by the Mill today. Met plenty of folks on the way back down. A really cool adventure.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    smith.jpg
    Not from Crystal but Ramah, Colorado area. I think I have figured out how to resize pictures so we might be in business finally.

Top Bottom