• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    Photo of a target, showing what will hopefully come to transpire this Wednesday morning...

20170423_154411.jpg

Best of luck to everyone opening day of turkey season, and, be safe!

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I put two down in KY last week, hoping they haven't vanished on our farm like they did the last couple of years. We're headed out tomorrow to try to put them to bed but I'm not too optimistic about that, they don't tend to gobble in the evenings around us.

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    I put two down in KY last week, hoping they haven't vanished on our farm like they did the last couple of years. We're headed out tomorrow to try to put them to bed but I'm not too optimistic about that, they don't tend to gobble in the evenings around us.

I'm in the woods now. Have a hen, and jake dekes 25 yards out. Hoping for a big tom for my birthday, but will love just being out in Gods' glorious creation no matter what.

Congratulations on the birds you've already taken, good luck for today, and be safe!

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Good luck to you and happy birthday as well! We're sitting over just a Jake but hoping it'll bring one in, took both of mine in KY with this setup.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Same sort of morning as phylo, no gobbles and the only bird I saw was flying through the trees from the HNF, probably kicked out by hunters.

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    Good luck.

Do turkeys live all over the state year round or do they just pass through in certain areas for breeding or migration?

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I stopped in at the Outdoorsman about 9:15am this morning and someone bagged a nice big bird. It was laying on a piece of cardboard in front of the fishing reels.
    I didn't measure but the beard was at least 11" long, spurs in the 1 1/2" range and I'm guessing the bird at 18+ lbs. Maybe someone will chime in with specifics. .

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    Well, done for the day, but...now it looks like it may actually be huntable in the morning. I hope so. I`ll be out, weather permitting, since I have to go back to work Monday, and won`t miss church Sunday, plus, looks like the entire weekend will be a washout anyway. That means tomorrow and Friday left to hunt, then maybe the next two Saturday`s. However you look at it, not much time to try to bag a bird.

Good luck to all who are getting out there, and please, stay safe. Everybody check in as to what you see and hear, and how you do.

Last edited:

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    Sorry but you now have me picturing "The annual turkey migration!"

If you have watched these things fly in and out of the trees you would know why I am laughing inside.

I've had them go to roost in the fall in the same woods while I was bowhunting. Yep... They get up and then decide that limb over there looks better and they fly to that limb..then another limb.. This can go on for a long, long time..

Rating - 96.3%
    26   1   0
    Oct 22, 2011
    Lebanon
    Gentlemen, I went out this morning and bagged a Tom. I watched two of them tie up for about two minutes. They were close enough I thought they were going to run into me. After they separated I took aim at the bigger one and bang. Beard was 8", spurs I'm guessing 1", weight.. maybe 22/25 pounds. Big enough I had to take a break hauling his big butt back to the truck. And I'm a fit fella.

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    Gentlemen, I went out this morning and bagged a Tom. I watched two of them tie up for about two minutes. They were close enough I thought they were going to run into me. After they separated I took aim at the bigger one and bang. Beard was 8", spurs I'm guessing 1", weight.. maybe 22/25 pounds. Big enough I had to take a break hauling his big butt back to the truck. And I'm a fit fella.

OUTSTANDING! Congratulations! Share photos later if able.

Tandem160

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Got this one at 8am on opening day. 10" beard, 1"spurs easily 20-25 lbs. Hen came into my decoys then it wasn't long after that he came a running. 30 yards out he started to leave so that was the end of him. We had turkey breast strips last night.
    IMG_0200.jpg

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Glad to see some folks are having luck. We were close yesterday, got ahead of three toms crossing a field toward the road. We set up on the back side of a hill just across the road and they were coming right for us. Just as they got to the road someone came hauling ___ down the road on an ATV and when they crested the hill 15 yards in front of us they were putting and running in circles full sprint. Couldn't get a shot before they agreed on one direction and were gone. Pretty much the luck we've come to expect hunting our farm for turkeys. I think we average one bird killed here every other year between the two of us. Pretty discouraged at this point and with the weather forecast the next couple of days it looks like I'll be eating tag soup this year.

Top Bottom