• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Richwon4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2011
    Northern IN
    Spent a few days camping in the Deam Lake Wilderness last week. ( just south of Bloomington) Son came to me and Told me there was a rattler on the trail. Sure enough...had to be 6' long beautiful mature Timber Rattler. Made our week. Are they common in Southern IN?

joseywales7450

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 11, 2009
    Carmel
    Yah, pretty common. Someone who lives on the edge of HNF said he sees them all the time in his yard (young kids playing around a lot). I have encountered one myself in HNF when I was hunting turkey once. Right off the edge of a trail.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Our new place butts up to Hoosier National Forest...I have not seen any yet but the habitat sure looks like they would dig it....We got copperheads.....John the Plinker is a few miles south west of us and he says they are up around German Ridge so I expect them to be here as well....

Jerry

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 23, 2008
    S. Indy
    They are. I've seen them in Yellowwood:

IMG_20150523_121629740_zpslxunnkir.jpg

IMG_20150523_121734950_zpsmkcisw6j.jpg

I never did see any at my parent's place growing up a bit farther down in Southern Indiana. We only came across copperheads down there.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Indiucky, I always see photos of your place, including the hot tub, and think, "man, that's the good life, right there"... then I remember the snakes. :nailbite:

And the humidity. :faint:

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I hate snakes, that's why I always observe... Rule #1 Always take a gun (or 2) with you when you go in the woods (or fishing on a bank).And if you see one you can bet there are more around. I will try to avoid them and give them space but if justified I will take care of it. Regardless of species even if I gotta roll the dice and deal with a conservation officer. Did I mention I hate snakes?

FCS-04

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 27, 2013
    Bloomfield
    yellowood and the jackson county side of Deam/HNF are a hotbed for them. I always worry about my dog when we are out there as he runs loose.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Man, Indiucky, she's even got your names carved in wood.

Wonder what would happen if I tried that in my 'burb...

rw02kr43

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    Paragon
    I've hiked a good bit around those areas and never saw one. With all these reports of them though I'm afraid to go there anymore. 1. Cause I hate snakes. 2. I'm afraid my 2 yr old will be running around like he does and come across one. He wouldn't know to stay away from it.

Jason

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    I know a fellow who stepped over one, mid-stride, and kept going. He never knew it was there until it was pointed out to him several steps later. There not always easy to see. Lots of people haven't seen one because they "ain't lookin' good".

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Almost stepped on one in Brown County. Also almost pooped myself.

They're definitely there in BCSP, Yellowwood, HNSF, and the woods around Story. And some of them are BIG.

Just glad they're Timber Rattlers and not Diamondbacks or something like that. Timbers are pretty docile as far as rattlers are concerned. They'll normally warn you with a rattle. And if they bite, the first one is normally a warning bite and isn't a full dump of venom.

dung

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2017
    Charlestwon
    Snakes have never bothered me at all. I have ran into a bunch of copperheads and a handful of Water Moccasins (in Illinois). I just leave them be. I might poop myself if I heard a rattle, but assuming it didn't mess with me first i would keep on going.

w_ADAM_d88

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Greenfield
    I used to hunt early bow season in NE North Carolina, talk about pooping yourself... nothing creepier than walking to your stand in the morning, in the dark and hearing a rattle and then feeling a strike to the leg. Of course we always wore snake chaps because we were aware of their presence and how abundant they were.

tcecil88

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    @ the corner of IN, KY & OH.
    I spend alot of time in the woods down there in HNF, but have not seen any Rattlers yet. My Dad and I were talking the other day wondering how many we have passed by walking over the years and not known about. A friend was staying with us last year and found a few Copper heads at the back end of the property, but fortunately, I have not found them.
    I do wear snake boots, but it is mostly for crossing creeks as I find rubber boots too hot and flop around too much for my liking. I also have started carrying a revolver loaded with snake shot.

Top Bottom