• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • slowG

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 15, 2010
    Idk not the greatest picture maybe a rat snake. Either way it looks like the spawn of satan and i dont like it.

Brickmandan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2017
    Wheeler
    Pretty sure a rat snake by the markings. They can get up to 6 feet long. Snakes are good for the environment and the ones around here are harmless.

HamsterStyle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Carthage
    Oh yeah, we won't be killing them. I'm stoked to finally see one. I am hoping to see quite a few this year since the neighbors cats have seemed to die off.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    I haven't personally ever seen a Rat snake, but it seems likely that the folks who've already chimed in have nailed down your species of serpent.
    It's definitely not one of the few venomous species in our state.

bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    I am going to have to disagree with the Rat Snake. Due to the markings up by the head I think you are looking at an Eastern Garter snake. I have caught a TON of snakes over the years just to check them out and then released them. The body color looks a little washed out but that could just be because it is going to shed in the near future.

Check this link and see if it is what you saw.

PA HERP IDENTIFICATION » Eastern Gartersnake

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    I am going to have to disagree with the Rat Snake. Due to the markings up by the head I think you are looking at an Eastern Garter snake. I have caught a TON of snakes over the years just to check them out and then released them. The body color looks a little washed out but that could just be because it is going to shed in the near future.

I thought Garter snake too, at first glance. I like the non-venomous snakes, they are welcome around our place. :)

Brickmandan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2017
    Wheeler
    Y

You're right. I didn't even see the head last night. I was so tired and just browsing the site before bed.

bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    That right there is the Indiana Nope Snake. When spotted I say "nope" and go another direction

I can say I have not spotted that one yet.

I have a buddy that thinks the only good snake is a dead snake. Haven't been able to sway him on that view yet. It is all kinds of fun to watch him scream like a little girl every time he sees on though.

Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills

I have a buddy that thinks the only good snake is a dead snake. Haven't been able to sway him on that view yet. It is all kinds of fun to watch him scream like a little girl every time he sees on though.

Maybe he was a rat in his last life and a snake was the last thing he saw. Or, maybe he had a REALLY strong cultish religious upbringing

White Squirrel

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2016
    Evansville

Do I know you, because that is what I always say?

I think my phobia stems from childhood. Almost stepped on a copperhead one time at my grandmother's farm when I was just a little kid. Then a few years later, we had one in the basement of our house. Got in through a hole in the brick around the base of a door. Intuitively, I know that most of them are harmless. At a gut level, I can't stand to be around them.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Do I know you, because that is what I always say?

I think my phobia stems from childhood. Almost stepped on a copperhead one time at my grandmother's farm when I was just a little kid. Then a few years later, we had one in the basement of our house. Got in through a hole in the brick around the base of a door. Intuitively, I know that most of them are harmless. At a gut level, I can't stand to be around them.

I'm quite the opposite.
    I almost stepped on a Copperhead down in the creek bed at Versailles State Park one time, but he was too busy trying to get away from me to try biting me.
    When I was a kid, I regularly went to our barn lot to collect as many Garter snakes as I could, one time over a dozen.
    Garters are very reluctant to bite, except for the one very pregnant female that my brother tried to capture, so protective of her unborn young that she was uncharacteristically angry, finally biting him and prompting him to just let her crawl away.
    I also caught a few Northern Water snakes, which are similar looking to Garters, but a bit high-strung and far more prone to biting; so I just made sure to carefully handle them by heading them only to prevent an angry bite.
    I always released all the snakes I ever caught unharmed.

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    Garter snakes around my house usually meet up with Mr. Toro. Also they have like a stripe down their torso. We use to pick them up and they defended by giving you a splash of pooie on your handie. don't mess with them anymore. That pic does look like a rat snake of some kind. Hard to see in the bush.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis

I am inclined to agree with your buddy. Around home if I see a snake it quickly loses it's head when I get my shovel or garden hoe. In the woods they usually get a shot of .357 or whatever caliber I may have that day. I don't even like seeing them behind glass

Top Bottom