• ...and so much more!
  • Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    Yesterday morning was wild..

I was set up in my blind on the corner of a 40 acres field. I had out my Avian X half strut jake and a feeder hen.

There was some serious gobbling going on in behind me about 5:30 am CST. I made a couple series of calls and then waited.

Without any warning (gobbling) I had two gobblers come into the field 15 yards from me. They headed straight for the Avian X Jake decoy. I had to wait until they separated and shot one and dropped him. He began his flop. The other one didn't leave but started flogging my Jake decoy . He stopped for a second and looked at the flopping bird as if to say “what the heck is the matter with you”? I thought he might jump on the flopper, but he went back to the decoy. I let him do that awhile but then I thought he might puncture it. Plus my bird started flopping more so I thought I'd better go get him.. I finally got out and ran him off . He went back the way he came....

Two year old bird but a nice beard.. Probably the prettiest bird I’ve ever killed. He has a lot of red on him. I saw a hen later that had the same coloration.

7F487FBF-3C5C-4FED-918F-58A977B12B54_zpsjacpba9o.jpg

We had these two birds on the trail camera last week. This is in front of my son’s blind. They were chasing a jake. I guess when they saw my decoy they thought they had caught up with him

0D738EDE-1B1C-4AED-8166-E15CB17FFC3B_zpsyhvkfdv3.jpg

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    Congrats! The woods were silent as far as turkeys go. I had a mockingbird mocking me as I called. I saw two hens on a neighbor's property.

Opening morning my buddy heard a big tom gobbling, but the bird wouldn`t leave hens. His brother hear some gobbling as well first thing in the morning. I was between them, but never heard a thing.

Last edited:

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    My son is up there this morning. He is seeing gobblers in the fields but they are un-workable. All they are doing is out feeding and not responding to calls. He calls (and he is good at it) they just look his way and then go back to feeding. This LATE season is terrible..

As long as Steve Backs is our turkey biologist we are stuck with it.

Top Bottom