• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hopfdubois

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2017
    Dubois County
    I just thought about starting a small garden down by our cabin, and was wondering what I could start growing very soon, I know it's a little late. So, I want to know what I could start growing right now or very very soon, and what I would need to or can do to make sure animals don't get them. Appreciate any and all help.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    You're south aways but yeah, go for it real soon.

We're in the northwest part of the state. Gonna put in six more grape vines tomorrow. The "deervestated" trees and vines from last year now have protectors around them. Made them out of remesh 4x8 panels. Fold two feet on each end and stand two of them up to make a four foot box.
    Last year I folded over the ends and put them over the planted stuff to make a barrier thinking in terms of a deer, size and geometry. Yeah it worked except for the hungry little baby deers who went under the sides and chowed down on the grapes, the blueberries, the raspberries, the black berries, the fruit trees... GAH!

OK, I'm calming down. All but one of the berries is coming back. Even the fruit tree is coming back that the fawn was tossing the top part around the pasture like a dog with a bone.
    Now they have the new and improved Mk.II deer shields. YES!!
    And the better 2/3's thinks that I should build a green house. It just don't get any better than that.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    I don't think that you're late at all. I've got some things growing now, peas, potatoes, onions, spinach, and romaine lettuce, but I won't put out the bulk of the other stuff until the 2nd week of May or later, depending on weather.

If you till up a spot in the next two weeks, you'll be just in time for about any vegetables that you'd want to grow. As far as protection from varmints, I think the easiest thing is to just put up a simple fence around your plot. My main pests are rabbits, cats (they think a freshly tilled raised bed is the perfect litter box), and wandering dogs (that mostly just tromp things down). If you get deer, then your fence would have to be taller.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Up here in NWI about all i start this early is lettuce and strawberries, maybe early cabbage. Usually don't start tomatoes, cukes, zucchini, peppers, etc until around mothers day up here. Some veggies can handle the chilly weather while others like it warm and humid. Do some research on what you're wanting to grow and go from there

hopfdubois

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2017
    Dubois County
    Thanks for all the help guys, how high a fence will I need to keep deer out? Also, I'd imagine a couple spaced out boards with wire mesh stapled on would keep rabbits out, but if I'm wrong someone tell me please, lol.
    I'm not sure what I want to grow, but I'm thinking about strawberries, peppers, or maybe something else, if yall have any recommendations other than what you've already given I'd appreciate them. Should I start them from seed or buy plants from the garden center? If ya can't tell I'm new to gardening.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    We use a composite fence made from cattle panel sections with a layer of chicken wire on the bottom. Steel T posts hold it up and I take it apart at the end of the year to till in the spring.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    I've shared this tip in other threads about gardening here, but this is what I do to keep the deer out and it works amazingly well. I have not had a deer in my garden in several years since I started doing this...and I have a decent number that are in my yard on a daily basis.

I cut plastic shopping bags in half vertically and then loop the bag through the handle so it hangs on the top of the fence. Cutting them in half prevents them from collecting rain that would weigh them down. They blow in the wind and flap around and the noise/motion scares the deer away from the garden. I take them down at the end of the season as they do tend to deteriorate somewhat and failing to take them off the fence tends to result in bags blowing around my yard. Here's a picture demonstrating what it looks like.

DSC_3590.jpg

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    It's amazing how well something so simple and cheap/free works! They used to destroy my garden and eat so much of my stuff. I haven't had a single hoof print inside the fence since I started doing this about 6 or 7 years ago.

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    Who grows asparagus? We've had a bed for 6-7 years now. The first 2 years, i didn't harvest hardly any, as recommended. Had a couple of good years, last year was pretty poor, and this year even worse. I only picked a few this year, hoping it will reproduce more for next year. Not sure what happened, i know it should last much longer than 7 years. I don't know if i should plant more crowns, or if it will produce more on it's own eventually. :(

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    Who grows asparagus? We've had a bed for 6-7 years now. The first 2 years, i didn't harvest hardly any, as recommended. Had a couple of good years, last year was pretty poor, and this year even worse. I only picked a few this year, hoping it will reproduce more for next year. Not sure what happened, i know it should last much longer than 7 years. I don't know if i should plant more crowns, or if it will produce more on it's own eventually. :(

I've been growing asparagus for about 6 years and most of mine are still going strong. Do you stop harvesting when the spears decrease to the size of a pencil and do you leave foliage on those you eventually allow to mature to stand until they turn brown in the fall?

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    I've been growing asparagus for about 6 years and most of mine are still going strong. Do you stop harvesting when the spears decrease to the size of a pencil and do you leave foliage on those you eventually allow to mature to stand until they turn brown in the fall?

I probably did harvest some of the smaller ones, not a lot. I always leave the foliage until it turns brown.

sugarcreekbrass

Expert
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 29, 2015
    West central
    We have a section of our garden about 20'x20' loaded with asparagus. We bought this house in May 2013 and the asparagus was already there and well established. My wife got some that year. The last 4 years she gets so much. When it is really growing, she will get at least 20 spears a day. We haven't done anything during this time, just pick the big ones and let the little ones grow. Then in late winter or early spring, she will cut off all the grown stalks. Our only problem is keeping up with the weeds. So far this year looks like she will have a great harvest. Strawberries have been plentiful, rhubarb and beets are close, apples trees are loaded, and everything else is looking good.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    We have a section of our garden about 20'x20' loaded with asparagus. We bought this house in May 2013 and the asparagus was already there and well established. My wife got some that year. The last 4 years she gets so much. When it is really growing, she will get at least 20 spears a day. We haven't done anything during this time, just pick the big ones and let the little ones grow. Then in late winter or early spring, she will cut off all the grown stalks. Our only problem is keeping up with the weeds. So far this year looks like she will have a great harvest. Strawberries have been plentiful, rhubarb and beets are close, apples trees are loaded, and everything else is looking good.

Asparagus is a fairly heavy feeder. Some Miracle Grow in solution, and a healthy dose of compost usually help. Grass clippings will keep the weeds down and help retain moisture and the asparagus will come up right through it. Soil should not be too heavy/impermeable. Don't think asparagus likes its feet wet all the time. That's been my experience.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    Don't think asparagus likes its feet wet all the time. That's been my experience.

I found that out myself. I had some asparagus and a rhubarb plant in a nice sunny spot, and they did well for the first year, then got progressively smaller. Our land is mostly poorly drained clay, so I eventually started building raised beds, and I dug them up and put them in one of the beds and they've done way better.

boosteds13cc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 5, 2011
    Lowell
    I have different sections of my yard where I have different things growing. Pumpkins, watermelon, strawberries, green pepper, tomato, corn, cucumber, zuccuni, and green beans.

Growing purple flowers help attract more bees to pollinate the area and have up a bee box next to main garden.
    On the opposite side of the yard I have a bat habitat box..hopefully everything all balances and works out.

yetti462

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 18, 2016
    Unglaciated heaven
    My soil is poor, best suited to grow weeds and oak. I plant 5# of potatoes and get 3# back. Almost didn't plant one this year. Yesterday, I awoke at 3:30 to my barking dogs. Shine a light and neighbors 3 4h cows are in it. Toppled my pole bean teepee s and ransacked my tomato cages. I hearded them back to his place 1/4 mile down the road. I want to quit trying a garden I tell myself every year, this might be the straw.

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    I found that out myself. I had some asparagus and a rhubarb plant in a nice sunny spot, and they did well for the first year, then got progressively smaller. Our land is mostly poorly drained clay, so I eventually started building raised beds, and I dug them up and put them in one of the beds and they've done way better.

Mine is in a raised bed, too. Wish i knew what happened!

Top Bottom