• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    I was going to say that yesterday I saw my first Cougar, but decided to try and avoid the usual jokes. Yesterday I was in Lawrence county on a friends property looking for some late mushrooms. This is the same property on which I saw Couger tracks this winter (I was going to go back the next day for pictures and casts, but it rained). Anyway, I was walking through the woods and saw what I thought was a deer running perpendicular to me through the woods (I only saw it's body and not its head). My first thought was that it had different muscular structure than a normal deer. My second thought was that it was not running like a normal deer. My third thought was to notice that it had a long slender tail with a black tip!! The owner of the property has given me permission to set up some trail cameras. Does anyone have suggestions as to fairly high quality trail cameras at reasonable prices? I would really love to get some good pictures of it. Thanks.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Most trail cameras work well. At least the ones available new now. Looks for cost to feature and remember the cheaper ones normally have no real mounting systems with them.(sold separate) The major issue is going to be where you want to set them and how long you want to go between checking the pic's and replacing the batteries. Some of the most expensive use cellular to upload the photos to you (assuming you have cell service in the area and fire alarm style batteries which should give you at least 90 days of pic if not up to a whole year. (Don't know how long for sure).

Camera tech each has improved grandly since we used to make our own back in the day.

Now if if you can find fresh road kill to bait one. Would love to see the photos.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    The big forests of the Lawrence,Greene, Orange, and Martin county area are ideal for those animals. Much of that area rarely ever sees people.

MRP2003

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Greenwood
    You could always bait the site. Go to your local butcher and ask for a pig or beef cattle carcass. Hang it from a tree, just high enough so the coyotes can't get it. Put as many cameras out as you have. It may still take a week or two but you could then just check every two weeks and bring out a new carcass every time. If it works, you could have that cat coming by on a regular basis. Not sure that is a good thing though.

yetti462

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 18, 2016
    Unglaciated heaven
    A few years ago when all the sightings were being reported a couple of buddies of mine saw one just north of my house. 100% positive they were in their sighting. I've yet to see one or get a pic of the unicorn. Don't know if I want to see it either, I still like thinking I'm the dominant predator in the woods.

Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    He refused to answer this question when I asked him previously, I wish you better luck! I, too, would like to know as I'm in Lawrence County in VERY Mt Lion friendly territory...

I didn't REFUSE to answer your question before, I just do not know for sure what township his property is in. It is not far from the White river if that helps. If it REALLY matters, I will call him and ask.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I didn't REFUSE to answer your question before, I just do not know for sure what township his property is in. It is not far from the White river if that helps. If it REALLY matters, I will call him and ask.
    You could have just said that in the other thread, your silence led me to the conclusion that you were just trying to play a "super secret" game with us.

That being said, for future reference:
    lawrence_township.gif

With all of these Lawrence county INGO people on here, we should have a meet-n-greet sometime . . . . .
    We should!!! Meet & shoot would be even better!! Too bad I don't have my range completed yet... I hope to have the 100 & 500 yard backstops done by next spring. Future backstops are 50 yd (maybe), 200, 300, 400, & 700 (maybe)

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    It's terrific that these magnificent predators are finally making a comeback here.
    They're so furtive that it practically takes someone with the hunting/tracking skills of a Daniel Boone to catch so much as a glimpse of them.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    I'm not sure what price range you are looking at for a camera, but I have six of these. I use lithium batteries, which can get a little pricey, but buying them on Ebay or through Amazon helps with the cost. https://www.amazon.com/Stealth-Cam-No-Glo-Camera-STC-G42NG/dp/B01MV53HWH

They take a good quality picture day or night. IR/blacked out so no visible flash or glow on the camera to give away it's location.

Restroyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    SE Indiana
    I agree with Mom45 on that Stealth Camera. I have several trail cameras (Stealth, Bushnell, Browning). I like the same Stealth model she posted a link to the best. Usually at Christmas Amazon drops them down to $89.99 and I buy another to add to my other cameras. The only thing about that Stealth model is it is a battery sucker (I set it to take 30 second videos on the camera). I average almost 100 videos a week per camera. I use the Lithium Batteries and go through an 8-pack per camera every 3 months or so. Mine does not operate correctly on rechargeable batteries - that's why I buy the Lithium ones. Make sure you set it a little low on the tree if you want to be sure to trigger the camera for a bobcat.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    I agree with Mom45 on that Stealth Camera. I have several trail cameras (Stealth, Bushnell, Browning). I like the same Stealth model she posted a link to the best. Usually at Christmas Amazon drops them down to $89.99 and I buy another to add to my other cameras. The only thing about that Stealth model is it is a battery sucker (I set it to take 30 second videos on the camera). I average almost 100 videos a week per camera. I use the Lithium Batteries and go through an 8-pack per camera every 3 months or so. Mine does not operate correctly on rechargeable batteries - that's why I buy the Lithium ones. Make sure you set it a little low on the tree if you want to be sure to trigger the camera for a bobcat.

I tried rechargeable batteries and they didn't work well at all. I set mine to take a 7 picture photo burst and the lithiums last about 6 months. Setting them low on the tree is the key to getting good pictures! Also, remove any twigs/branches/tall grass that will sway in the breeze near the camera so you don't get a bajillion pictures of nothing. :)

Top Bottom