• ...and so much more!
  • patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Up north here you almost never hear of one around, are they really that bad down south?

Don't know about "bad", but a friend who hunts my ground for deer had 2 walk by him at about 50' last fall. I'd probably not take more than a couple over several years unless the price of fur jumps. Would like to have a couple hides to hang in the cabin though.

JimH

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Get them on my trail cameras pretty regular in Ripley Co. Just as soon leave them alone for a couple more years though.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I've seen them twice within a few hundred yards of my house here along the river in Clark Co. I know quite a few deer hunters around Clark, Floyd, and Harrison counties that claim to have seen them.

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    This limited season (similar to the otter season) was put on the back burner this past year. Not sure when it will be brought back up again....

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    I've seen a couple in Monroe Co. 2 yrs ago - and I didn't go out very much that year.
    (probably 3 nighttime outings, and I saw 2 on separate occasions)

Edit to add: I'm glad they're back and doing well. I almost would give them, and foxes, a free pass. I'd prefer to kill coyotes if in the same area. I see the yotes as more of a long-term problem/nuisance than fox or bobcats. I'm sure I'd want to kill them all if I were raising chickens, but I'm not.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    I've seen a couple in Monroe Co. 2 yrs ago - and I didn't go out very much that year.
    (probably 3 nighttime outings, and I saw 2 on separate occasions)

Edit to add: I'm glad they're back and doing well. I almost would give them, and foxes, a free pass. I'd prefer to kill coyotes if in the same area. I see the yotes as more of a long-term problem/nuisance than fox or bobcats. I'm sure I'd want to kill them all if I were raising chickens, but I'm not.

I don't understand your reasoning, bobcats pick off a lot more fawns and poults than coyotes ever did.

possumpacker

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2009
    parke co
    i found today in. has hired a furbearer bio. from N.C. and she has a 5 star rating from N.C. outdoorsmen. i heard bobcat managment will be a top priority for her.

MRP2003

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Greenwood
    Ive seen two from 69S in the last 2 years. One in a field west of 69S right below where you had to get on and off south of Crane prior to the completion to 37 in Bloomington. The 2nd this year in a field just north of Evansville on the east side, walking through a field. The 2nd was very big. Thought it was a dog at first.

If I am seeing them walking through field during the day, there must be a lot of them. Haven's seen a yote on the same stretch since 69S opened up 4 years ago and I am sure there are a lot of them in that area.

Just a matter of time before I see them while hunting or on a trail camera in Brown county.

Years ago in PA, there was a limited trapping season for bobcats but they quickly opened it up to a regular hunting season as the population had grown quickly. I envision that within 5-6 years, there will be a regular hunting season for them here as well.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson

My source is personal observation from 10's of thousands of trail cam photos over 15 years showing a steady decline in the number of fawns and poults surviving until fall while bobcat photos grew tremendously and coyote observation were rare.

Top Bottom