Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Marksman

Probable cause- DNR boat stops

Can DNR officers stop any boater they want and check for violations, breathalyzer tests, etc,at will? Or do they need "probable cause"?

Marksman
    I think they can. I've been stopped and checked for no reason. Aggravating while trying to fish. Doing their jobs I guess.

Growing up in Michigan spending plenty of time on the water, DNR frequently pulled along side to check for safety equipment and licenses. We complied and never gave it any thought. DNR officers were all pretty cool.
    Easy choices, hard life.
    Hard choices, easy life.

I'm pretty sure they can do a safety check for pfd's, fire extinguisher, etc with no pc.....and if they sniff out some pc while doing a safety check that's all they need to persue it.

I have always wondered how they got around the PC issue. Driving a car, carrying a handgun and fishing, all require a license, but fishing is the only one that justifies a license check.

I had bass boats for years, and have been "checked" most weekends while being on the lake. On at least two occasions, twice in the same weekend, by the same CO.

It is almost comical to watch. Two rental boats in the same party cove. One, a double decker pontoon full of teenagers doing keg stands, and the second, a fishing boat with two guys fishing. The fishing boat will be stopped.

https://www.boat-ed.com/indiana/hand...IC-14-15-10-1/

No PC needed for them to stop you.

We boated exclusively on Lake Michigan and got stopped multiple times every summer. I think, for us anyway, the reason was because we always had a bunch of my daughters friends with us. They seemed to do more stops on boats loaded down with people compared to just a couple out for the day. The stops were under a couple of minutes and consisted of making sure we weren't drinking and checking for life jackets. As soon as I raised the rear seat and the officer could see we had a crap load of jackets they were on their way!
    Last edited by t-squared; 06-05-2017 at 23:54.

Marksman
    FYI for those without a license, this is the last FREE fishing weekend in Indiana (Indiana residents don't need a license these days).

Quote Originally Posted by t-squared View Post

We boated exclusively on Lake Michigan and got stopped multiple times every summer. I think, for us anyway, the reason was because we always had a bunch of my daughters friends with us. They seemed to do more stops on boats loaded down with people compared to just a couple out for the day. The stops were under a couple of minutes and consisted of making sure we weren't drinking and checking for like jackets. As soon as I raised the rear seat and the officer could see we had a crap load of jackets they were on their way!
    I guess the question should be, does the 4th amendment stop at the boat ramp?

I've never seen conservation officers as ambassadors of freedom. They seem to do as they please. I've met some real a-holes and have never been doing anything wrong.
    PLEASE DONATE TO BRING SYLVAIN TO AMERICA
    https://www.gofundme.com/get-sylvain-here-k1-visa-fund

Sharpshooter
    Quote Originally Posted by t-squared View Post

We boated exclusively on Lake Michigan and got stopped multiple times every summer. I think, for us anyway, the reason was because we always had a bunch of my daughters friends with us. They seemed to do more stops on boats loaded down with people compared to just a couple out for the day. The stops were under a couple of minutes and consisted of making sure we weren't drinking and checking for life jackets. As soon as I raised the rear seat and the officer could see we had a crap load of jackets they were on their way!
    If the daughters friends were past puberty I can make an informed guess as to why you were stopped.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast