• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Wow. I am REALLY not sure that I'd be willing to step on the wounded snake's tail to keep it from getting away.

Yeah, intellectually, I know that's a constrictor, so, intellectually, there's a very low risk - approaching zero.

But, in that moment, I'm not sure I'd be thinking intellectually.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    agreed.

Also, what's on top of her Glock slide?? the white mark? It does NOT seem to be a cutout like on a G34/35... maybe a sign/label??

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    agreed.

Also, what's on top of her Glock slide?? the white mark? It does NOT seem to be a cutout like on a G34/35... maybe a sign/label??

I think that's the famed "Snakekiller" Glock. Once it leaves its holster, it must taste blood.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    Wow. I am REALLY not sure that I'd be willing to step on the wounded snake's tail to keep it from getting away.

Yeah, intellectually, I know that's a constrictor, so, intellectually, there's a very low risk - approaching zero.

That snake whips around and sinks its teeth into your leg.
    You will never do it again.
    It will take a long time to release it from your leg.
    You will see the teeth marks for a very long time.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas

I wouldn't be quite so sanguine about a constrictor, especially one of that size. They are incredibly strong, and they do bite. He gets ahold of you, and you are in serious trouble. Better have a knife to carve him off of you, or a gun (I'd prefer the knife because of the proximity).

As a medical first responder I was once sent to what was first dispatched as a "snake bite". I was thinking copperhead or rattlesnake, but when I queried dispatch enroute they told me "python." One of my neighbors ran a wildlife rescue operation out of her home, and when she went to feed the "python" (actually a red boa, not significantly different that I could see), it decided she was snake chow and bit down on her hand. And didn't let go. And then coiled around her arm and clamped down. She is really lucky she (yes the snake was female) didn't wrap around her head or throat as well.

This lady got her tween daughter to call 911, and since I was neighbor I was there pretty quick. But her arm was already blue up to her shoulder and she was in lot of pain. The snake wasn't as big as in the OP, but still it had a head about as wide as my hand, and about as long. I told her I could cut it off of her but would likely not survive. She said, "Kill the *****."

So I whipped out my Cold Steel Spartan and started cutting its head off. I got part way down one side of its neck (could feel the blade grating on the spine, that was interesting) and it suddenly opened its mouth (BIG TEETH) and rapidly started unwinding from her arm. Scared me! We both jumped back and she shut and locked the door on its cage. She had some holes in her hand from the teeth, and ultimately some nerve damage in her arm.

I later had some snake collectors tell me that I could have splashed whiskey (or whisky) in its face, something with high alcohol content I guess, and it would have released her and not harmed the snake, but at the time I didn't know to ask her where the lady kept her single malts. Probably would have gone with the knife anyway.

So if you decide to go step on the tail of some big-*** boa or python, make sure you have your gun and your knife and a flask on you...

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I wouldn't be quite so sanguine about a constrictor, especially one of that size. ...
    Yeah, I get that... but just watching it move after the gunshots I think from 12 ft away, I'd be able to tell that the head was coming back my way and GTFO. :D

At that size, my impression is (and I hope NEVER to test this) that they aren't quick.

But again, I REALLY don't think I'd be stepping on any snake's tail to get it to stay put.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0

It's amazing how fast our alligator brain overrides our logical brain when confronted with the primal isn't it????:)

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    Given that the goat was already dead, she could have waited for the snake to get it a little more than halfway swallowed, then she could have gotten closer and placed the kill shot right dead center in the head, and the snake wouldn't have been able to do much about it.

But, hind-sight's 20/20.

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    Given that the goat was already dead, she could have waited for the snake to get it a little more than halfway swallowed, then she could have gotten closer and placed the kill shot right dead center in the head, and the snake wouldn't have been able to do much about it.

But, hind-sight's 20/20.
    This. Even the mambas and taipans are virtually harmless with a mouth full of food.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tatdale2
    Top Bottom