Anyone use an ESEE - 3 for Field Dressing Deer?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • clfergus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southeast Indy
    I have some extra money laying around and have always wanted an esee 3. I was thinking about possibly using it as a field dressing knife. Was wondering if anyone had experience with using the knife for this and if it worked well for the size.

cerebus85

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Mar 5, 2012
    i used mine on a very large deer this year and it worked great. its blade was manipulated pretty nimbly in my hand. youd be fine.

chubbs

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Jun 2, 2009
    North of hell, south of heaven
    I used an Esee 3 for 1 deer season. It did fine. But, i ended up passing it along to a friend because of that finger choil. It killed the feel of the knife for me. So definetly handle one before buying.

Last edited:

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    I used an Esee 3 for 1 deer season. It did fine. But, i ended up pass it along to friend because of that finger choil. It killed the feel of the knife for me. So definetly handle one before buying.

Take a look at the ESEE 3HM model. You get the same 3" blade that is on the standard model, but the handle is more rounded (bushcraft style)....a totally different feel.

clfergus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southeast Indy
    That handle looks more suited for field dressing and hunting application. I will have to check that out. I have never really had a nice knife, aside from my BUCK knives which are great. Though I would try my hand at something around the 85.00 mark. The esee 3 seems popular and a good fit for general hunting and field dressing. Never had a 1095 carbon blade before. Do you have to oil it every week?

Any other suggestions for a field dressing knife around 85.00?

jsx1043

Master
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    Napghanistan
    Take a look at the ESEE 3HM model. You get the same 3" blade that is on the standard model, but the handle is more rounded (bushcraft style)....a totally different feel.

So, now you had to go and spend my money. I have a BK14 (EsKaBar) that I've stripped the blade on and made into a decent rough service field knife. I never have liked the handle profile, but I do like their steel and warranty.

Expatriated

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 22, 2013
    ESEE 3 with the new HM handle is probably going to be perfect for you. Full disclosure: I work for ESEE ;). Fuller disclosure: Just about any knife will field dress a deer so you dont need to buy another knife if you already have one. But we wont be mad if you do ;)

At ESEE/Expat Knives, we like other knife conpanies too. Check out Smith & Sons for some good quality stuff too. A bit of old school look to them and they hold up to serious abuse. (I cut a hole in the roof of a car large enough to crawl through with one of their knives. ).

If you do go with ESEE, we always like to recommend knife lady here in Indiana.

clfergus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southeast Indy
    ESEE 3 with the new HM handle is probably going to be perfect for you. Full disclosure: I work for ESEE ;). Fuller disclosure: Just about any knife will field dress a deer so you dont need to buy another knife if you already have one. But we wont be mad if you do ;)

At ESEE/Expat Knives, we like other knife conpanies too. Check out Smith & Sons for some good quality stuff too. A bit of old school look to them and they hold up to serious abuse. (I cut a hole in the roof of a car large enough to crawl through with one of their knives. ).

If you do go with ESEE, we always like to recommend knife lady here in Indiana.

Thanks for the reply....I am on the fence now. I saw a couple of youtube videos of the IZULA II and it looks like a nice little knife for field dressing. Having a real hard time making up my mind. I am debating picking up the Izula II for the field dressing chore and to keep in my hunting bag and maybe a 3HM later down the road to keep in my oh no honey the power grid just went down bag.

In that scenario would the regular 3 be a better option than the 3HM? Or maybe buy a 3HM and use it for everything?

I have my mind set on a new ESEE and in real life I know I will use a field dressing knife. The other might sit around more than it is used but I have OCD and in my mind I need a good knife in my prep list.

Expatriated

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 22, 2013
    Well, you could always get both. ESEE's have pretty good resale potential if you didn't like it.

The 3 or the 3HM is a preference thing. Personally, I like rounded handles. Some people like flat handled knives. I've just always preferred the rounded handle. Like on my Randall knives. Provides a better grip in my opinion.

You could easily dress a deer with an Izula II. It's also probably a bit smaller and lighter.

Those two are so close, it boils down to personal preference.

AtTheMurph

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    I prefer a thinner blade that the esee 3. I started just using the paring knife from the kitchen. But my paring knife is high end and I keep them really, really sharp on a couple of whetstones.

clfergus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southeast Indy
    That Esee 3hm is for sure on my list of knives to get but I think I am moving away from it as a deer knife and back toward a camping and survival knife. It would do the trick though no question.

I am really starting to like the looks of the Knives of Alaska Trekker series, especially the Elk Hunter. Not versed in what D2 Steel is but its a pretty good looking blade that has great reviews.

View attachment 56742

This knife is beautiful....KOA legacy but a hefty 200.00 price.

View attachment 56743

Expatriated

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 22, 2013
    My Silver Stag knives knives are D2. I dont mind D2 but some people complain about it because it is harder to sharpen than 1095.

I also like thin knives for most tasks, outside of heavy chopping. My Strider phase is long gone :).

Top Bottom