Now THAT'S a Snake!!!!!!!! (Part two Redux)....

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    We drove over to the new property after the field was plowed and planted with corn....I wanted to walk around and look for artifacts....My daughter and I drove the Mule over and when I got off the Mule my daughter stayed frozen in her seat....

She called out to me, "Daddy!!! I need you to come here...I need some help.."

"What is it Honey?"

"There's a very big scary snake.."

I looked down where she was pointing and saw this beautiful beast...A toad hunter from way back....He had an old scar where it looks like a hawk may have gotten a piece of him at one time......He tried pulling his Hog Nosed bluff on me.....Any way I know how INGO loves some snakes so here you go guys....Maybe we should combine our snake threads and just make a snake thread???

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    We used to find them at recess when I was in elementary school. That was 30 some years ago. Haven't seen one since.

They weren't as common as garter snakes, or as rare as blue racers, but they were around.

We had a swampy woods next to our playground. Snakes, bullfrogs, salamanders, turtles, were always fun to chase, catch, and harass the girl with.:D

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    I had a Hognose / Thespian snake as a pet once. My dad caught it wild and we released it a few weeks later. He was in the back yard and it did the Cobra imitation then struck at him, he hit it with the back of his hand instinctively and it rolled over and played dead. They aren't Opossum stupid though, it tried to make a run for it when he walked over to it.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    That's one scary looking snake - I do love looking at pictures of them.

It's funny...I KNEW it was an eastern Hog Nose but just for a moment....When he spread his head wide....I thought...Just for a second mind you..

"OMG THE STORIES ARE TRUE!!!! Not only did DNR air drop rattlesnakes in Perry County from black helicopters but they dropped COBRAS TOO!!!!!"

And then my brain over rode my visual and my hand quit hovering above the butt of my Smith and Wesson...But just for a second I thought..."Wow...First wife sees a mountain lion in Perry County and now I spot the only cobra in Indiana...":laugh::laugh::laugh:

Dang old alligator brain with it's visual cues......

I bet the snake was watching me too and probably had his "Oh ****" moment when he thought, "Dang I must be good....This hillbilly actually thinks I AM a cobra....I better upchuck and roll over real quick before he draws that .357 magnum and then gets berated on INGO for killing a harmless hog nosed snake after posting he killed a cobra..."

:)

yetti462

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 18, 2016
    Unglaciated heaven
    I had one crawl across my back yard, wife squalled like a panther, I rolled a geode into it and watched the show. The thing started contorting and opened its mouth 180* and started banging his head into a lump of dirt. He barfed up a leopard frog then played dead. Wife was amazed and bewildered. He crawled off about 10 min later. Neat and fun snake to torment.

nighthawk80

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    Trafalger
    I've seen a baby one in Morgan county (about 8-9 inches long) about 3 years ago. As soon as I picked it up to show my son, it went limp. He asked if I killed it. I set it back down and We watched it slowly slither away.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    Awesome pics. I've never seen a black hognose snake, just the yellowish/greenish/brownish ones.

I'm a little bit envious of you folks who live in places with lots of interesting snakes and other critters.

Snake-wise, it's pretty sterile up here in farm country. Crop combining and hay cutting are hell on snakes, and box turtles too.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    I've seen only one Hognose snake, and it was funny how well he played dead.
    That's only one part of their repertoire, as yours clearly tried imitating a cobra by puffing himself up like that.
    They'll even extend their playing dead routine to rolling over on their backs and letting their tongues loll out and even emit a foul-smelling musk to make themselves smell dead.
    That's some really clever survival skills, and would never hurt a critter so determined to live in such a way.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I'm wanting to think that's what I found at one of my garage doors a couple of months ago. Seems like it was that color but it didn't do any tricks when I went to pick it up, that I remember. I got gypped.

Top Bottom