• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    A couple of weeks ago I was out mowing and saw some movement in the grass. Looked real hard to see what it was, saw a snake, so being the Steve Irwin wannabe that I am, bailed off the mower and commenced a great struggle trying to catch this monster. It was real touch and go for a while but eventually my superior brains and opposable thumbs won out. So I snuck in the house with my prize (The Boss was taking a nap or else there wouldn't be any proof) to grab the camera. The beast knew he was whipped so didn't put up any struggle, and in fact almost seemed to enjoy the inside world, although I think he looked at The Boss's dog and thought "lunch!". So here's a couple of pics.

Ready?

Not for the faint of heart!

Cover your eyes if you're squeamish!

Tell any small children and those with heart conditions to leave the room!

Here it is! Not sure who's got who in the first one!
    SAM_0816_zpsl5dh4hep.jpg

SAM_0819_zpsxhmpswr4.jpg

SAM_0820_zpsstokoqjl.jpg

SAM_0818_zpssabisrdb.jpg

:)

And no, I didn't stick my thumb in it's butt, I'm not THAT much of a Steve Irwin wannabe!
    And Bob says HI ALL!
    SAM_0826_zpsz6dpq34h.jpg

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    He has beautiful markings.
    Species?

Garter snake.

Does your wife know the snake was in the house? I think mine would move out if I did that in my house. :D

She found out about after the fact. Still got a bit of a goose egg on my noggin, and I had to buy a new skillet. :bash: :): I caught one a few years ago and made the mistake of bringing it to show her. I was told in no uncertain to NOT do that again. But I did it anyway. Oh I'm such a troublemaker.

Last edited:

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I've got a buddy that thought it would be funny to leave a shed skin in the house where his wife would find it. Boy, was he wrong.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Garter snake.

She found out about after the fact. Still got a bit of a goose egg on my noggin, and I had to buy a new skillet. :bash: :): I caught one a few years ago and made the mistake of bringing it to show her. I was told in no uncertain to NOT do that again. But I did it anyway. Oh I'm such a troublemaker.

Not being argumentative, but I haven't seen Garters marked that way.
    There's some variation between each snake, of course, but I've yet to see a beautiful silver-gray one.
    Is it just a different color phase?

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    I've got a buddy that thought it would be funny to leave a shed skin in the house where his wife would find it. Boy, was he wrong.

:):

They get really mad when you ruin one of their skillets.

IKR? Just luckily it wasn't the one I use when I cook. That would have been a tragedy.

Not being argumentative, but I haven't seen Garters marked that way.
    There's some variation between each snake, of course, but I've yet to see a beautiful silver-gray one.
    Is it just a different color phase?

I wasn't sure at first but it has the lengthwise stripes, they're very faint and didn't show up in the pics, the light had to hit the scales juusstt right for them to be visible. I'd never seen one like this either and that was part of why I wanted the pics.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    Nice snake John....We need to keep these "Perry County is full of snakes, mountain lions, and turkey ticks" threads going to keep the Canadian weekenders from driving up land prices....:)

Works for me! One of these days we really need to let everybody know about the honey badgers, drop bears, and bigfoots (bigfeet?) too!:): Oh, and I almost forgot about the rattle headed copper moccasins!

delwin

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 5, 2017
    Walkerton
    Our resident old lady RHCM died last year after slithering up onto the train tracks. Heck of a mess, half the train derailed. Her babies are only now at the cat eating stage, so we've got a couple of years yet before they start threatening the local children.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oh, a baby! Did it have the corkscrew fangs yet?

Yep...Three curler....It was beautiful....I held a picture of the Indianapolis skyline in front of it and kept poking it with a cattle prod...(I am trying to get the guy from Indy to sell us his 10 acres next to our place...)

Don't get me wrong...I like when Canadians visit I just don't want to live next to one...I take some of that back...The Fort Wayner's who have a deer camp down from us seem like pretty good dudes....I can't understand their accent sometimes but they seem like good guys and do a great job of keeping the coyotes in check....Between trapping and hunting last year they got 35 and the rabbits came back big time....Pretty good guys...I often wonder if any of them are INGO'ers????

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Yep...Three curler....It was beautiful....I held a picture of the Indianapolis skyline in front of it and kept poking it with a cattle prod...(I am trying to get the guy from Indy to sell us his 10 acres next to our place...)

Don't get me wrong...I like when Canadians visit I just don't want to live next to one...I take some of that back...The Fort Wayner's who have a deer camp down from us seem like pretty good dudes....I can't understand their accent sometimes but they seem like good guys and do a great job of keeping the coyotes in check....Between trapping and hunting last year they got 35 and the rabbits came back big time....Pretty good guys...I often wonder if any of them are INGO'ers????

:bat:

I'm doing just fine here in "Canada", free from lots of scary things - 2, 4, 8 and no legs.

Top Bottom