• Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Question in deer hunting and the processor

I might have a chance to go hunting on private land this fall. I haven't hunted deer in over 20 years. Since then, I've become very squeamish with the whole blood and guts thing.

When I was 17, I took my one and only deer. The guy with me guided me in field dressing it. I was elbows deep in that buck and other than a bad smell from cutting the gut open, I did fine. Fast forward about 15 years. Changing really smelly diapers from my kids made me dry heave. And the sight of guts gets me going too. I'm not sure I could make it through field dressing a deer now.

Will the place I take it fir processing do this for me? I'd gladly pay for it. If not, what options do I have? I'd really like to hunt again and I'd like to stock the freezer with some venison.

What do you say?

Last edited:

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    Some do and some do not. However I suggest you try to diy. The faster you get those guts out, the better your meat will be.

Take me hunting and I'll gut all the deer you can legally shoot :)

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    You could try one of the methods of butchering that doesn't require gutting the deer. There are several variations but this one seems pretty straight forward. Just make sure you don't forget the tenders.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    I'm with you, OP.

I do not hunt because I do not wish to clean the quarry.

I do believe, however, that if I NEEDED to, I certainly could. But I just don't WANT to.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Bigtanker, respectfully: It sounds to me like to like the idea of hunting deer.

I say: If you can't get over gutting the dead deer, then you don't need to be shooting the live deer. Hunting isn't for everyone, and you may be one of the 90% who aren't cut for it. And that's just fine.

-Nate

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    Depends on where you go to have it processed, but I`ve heard some will gut it for you. I don`t think it`s a common request that processors get however. If you have a hunting buddy, try it again on your own, and have him talk you through it. The thought of field-dressing is a lot worse than the actual chore.

Look, here`s all that`s involved. Use your dressing knife, or, I carry a fillet knife for this chore, but the first cut is around the anus. You want to free that muscle from the intestinal wall inside. Then get the animal on it`s back, head slightly uphill if possible, and find the sternum. Using the tip of the knife blade, just below the sternum make a shallow cut into the body cavity. There may be some fat to get through to actually get into the body cavity, but take your time, and slowly cut until you`re just into the cavity. Then use either a gut hook, or the knife blade turned upward, with your fingers beneath the blade pushing the intestines down, and slowly cut all the way down to the pelvis. Don`t punch the bladder, and if it`s a doe, cut to the side of the udder. Then move up to the diaphragm. It`s a thin membrane that separates the heart/lung area from the stomach. Cut the diaphragm all the way around, and you`ll see the heart and lungs. Reach up carefully into the neck with your off hand and knife, and cut through the esophagus. You can use that as a handle to start pulling everything out, top to bottom. You`ll need to do some final cutting as you pull the intestines out, then You will be able to pull the rectum free because of the first cut you made. After that, turn the deer over to drain out any remaining blood. It`s not my favorite part of the hunt, but it is a part of the hunt, and if you get to do even just a couple deer a season, you get pretty good at it.

IndyColtsFan

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jan 24, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    Depends on where you go to have it processed, but I`ve heard some will gut it for you. I don`t think it`s a common request that processors get however. If you have a hunting buddy, try it again on your own, and have him talk you through it. The thought of field-dressing is a lot worse than the actual chore.

Look, here`s all that`s involved. Use your dressing knife, or, I carry a fillet knife for this chore, but the first cut is around the anus. You want to free that muscle from the intestinal wall inside. Then get the animal on it`s back, head slightly uphill if possible, and find the sternum. Using the tip of the knife blade, just below the sternum make a shallow cut into the body cavity. There may be some fat to get through to actually get into the body cavity, but take your time, and slowly cut until you`re just into the cavity. Then use either a gut hook, or the knife blade turned upward, with your fingers beneath the blade pushing the intestines down, and slowly cut all the way down to the pelvis. Don`t punch the bladder, and if it`s a doe, cut to the side of the udder. Then move up to the diaphragm. It`s a thin membrane that separates the heart/lung area from the stomach. Cut the diaphragm all the way around, and you`ll see the heart and lungs. Reach up carefully into the neck with your off hand and knife, and cut through the esophagus. You can use that as a handle to start pulling everything out, top to bottom. You`ll need to do some final cutting as you pull the intestines out, then You will be able to pull the rectum free because of the first cut you made. After that, turn the deer over to drain out any remaining blood. It`s not my favorite part of the hunt, but it is a part of the hunt, and if you get to do even just a couple deer a season, you get pretty good at it.

Very good instructions! +1 on the gut hook if you're concerned with puncturing the stomach/intestines with your knife and don't feel comfortable using your fingers as a guide inside the body cavity. I typically use a good, sharp pocket knife and the smaller blade helps me with control and keep me from over penetrating and puncturing the innards.

jagee

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    My processor will gut it for your. But as said upthread, you want to dress it as soon as possible.

I dress mine immediately in the field, then try and let it hang for a while (day or so) to go through rigor mortise prior to taking it and having it processed...provided it's cold enough to hang it outside and not have it spoil on me.

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    Very good instructions! +1 on the gut hook if you're concerned with puncturing the stomach/intestines with your knife and don't feel comfortable using your fingers as a guide inside the body cavity. I typically use a good, sharp pocket knife and the smaller blade helps me with control and keep me from over penetrating and puncturing the innards.

And I forgot to mention. After the kill, take your time. The sooner you can get the intestines out, and cool that body down, the better. But having said that, if you`re still shaky and geeked up from the kill, walk away. Walk around. shake it off. You want to not be anxious or cranked up while you`re doing this job. You don`t want bodily fluids or waste on your meat.

jagee

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    And I forgot to mention. After the kill, take your time. The sooner you can get the intestines out, and cool that body down, the better. But having said that, if you`re still shaky and geeked up from the kill, walk away. Walk around. shake it off. You want to not be anxious or cranked up while you`re doing this job. You don`t want bodily fluids or waste on your meat.

Yep.

I typically shed the outer layer or 2 of clothing as well. Opening up a deer and then dragging it to wherever makes me work up a sweat, I don't need all my layers on for that.

sugarcreekbrass

Expert
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 29, 2015
    West central
    Early on, I always just gutted the deer barehanded. I would then find a little stream or snow to clean up the best I could. Now I use the the full length gloves. I like the orange Hunter Specialty ones. Now at most I get a little blood on my hands if I poke them with the knife. No more smells that sticks to your hands for a day!

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Gutting is never pleasant, it's just one of things you have to get used to. Being on private land I recover animals these days with a front loader, makes recovery and field dressing quick and easy.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I will attempt it if I can't find a close processor that will do it for me. There is one about 5 minutes from the property I'll be hunting on. I'll give them a call.

I'll start watching some YouTube videos on the subject. Maybe I'll stream them on my TV to get used to the sights.

It's possible I could be worked up over nothing too. When I was in my teens, blood and guts were cool. Now I'd just rather not see it.

I'll see what happens. Nose plugs, long gloves and a few sharp blades should suffice.

Restroyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    SE Indiana
    None of the processors that I know or use will gut it for you. Typically where we are the nearest processor is 20 to 30 minutes away and that doesn't count the time it takes to drag or cart the deer out of the brush so me personally I would not want to take a chance at ruining the meat by waiting that long to field dress it. Like some of the other posters mentioned I use the full length rubber gloves (cheap purchase on Amazon) and a knife with a gut hook. I have dragged a deer out before to a better lighted area when I have got them right before the end of the hunting day but otherwise it's better to field dress them as soon as possible.

chubbs

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Jun 2, 2009
    North of hell, south of heaven
    Shed your outer layer and get gloves that go up to your biceps. It's not as bad as you think if you take your time and systematically do it. Don't think about it, just do it. Watch some youtube videos to strengthen your gut. I don't do well with peoples bodily fluids, but i can dress a deer out without much issue. Deer are heavy, gutting drops the weight you gotta lift into the truck. And as others had said, don't risk ruining your meat.

Family man

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 21, 2017
    Southern
    None of the processors I know of around me(evansville-louisville) will gut your deer, they require that to have been done. Are you bow hunting(hot in oct.) You really want the guts out asap so the deer can cool down fast. Its a simple and after a few wont take you 20min tops. Do a few more and get it down to less than 10. I havent used a processor in years. And back when i did it was only for to reasons1. So I could spend my time in the woods not cutting up deer.2 when i would shoot one early season and didnt have time to get it cut up before it would spoil.( due to having to be at work normally).
    Now I have gotten efficient enough I can get the quartered and on Ice quickly 70min or so. So the processor is not nessarry.
    3. Things
    * dont gut shoot it.
    * dont cut the gus
    * dont get your self talked out of it before you get started. Do this and you lost before you start.
    Its part of the hunt make your mind up you can do it. Do it. You will get so its 2nd nature and laugh at your apprehension now. I learned from renting a vhs when I was 13 that gave me the confidence to try. A lot of practice helps. You can do it.
    And its satisfying to know you can. I know you can.

Top Bottom