• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    Squirrel season always opens August 15th in Indiana, regardless of whether that falls on a weekend, or not. Back when I was much younger, I was an avid squirrel hunter, and ate tons of the little tree rats. Today, I`ve "graduated" on to white-tail deer and Eastern wild turkeys, but have planned on doing a little squirrel hunting again. Fortuitously, I have two grandchildren who say they want to go on a squirrel hunting outing with grandpa. Swweeeettt! I`ll wait for cooler weather to get them out, probably late September if it cools off, or maybe early October, where it may still be just a little too warm to go after deer, for my liking, but cool enough in the early morning to make it a great time to scan the tops of the Hickory`s for fox and greys.

Are there any hardcore squirrel hunters here? Any that will head out in August and battle the heat and mosquitos? Anyone else planning on getting some grandkids started hunting in the squirrel woods? It`s not far off now...

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Even pushing the season start up to aug 15 (can't even remember when they did that) always wait till the first frost to tree rat hunt.

It might change a bit this year as a new dog has found its way to the house. But if you can't start off in a sweat shirt at least in the very early am it is not time yet. Just always been what I do. Less bugs. More active tree rats. Favorite time of year is truly a winters day with sun. The second favorite is always just as scout trip for deer with a marlin Mountie or a 22 pistol. Nothing like it but early season always seemed better for drinking a beer and catching a fish.

Summer has been filled with daughters softball for several years. Starts at Easter time ended at Halloween time but her being 17-18 now those days are done. It is years of catch up work from being gone every weekend for tourneys a couple days of practice and a play in game a week. Maybe it is time to start walking about earlier this year for sure.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    You grow to hate those years of softball, but you do miss them a little when they're gone, don't you? Stuff like that is why you see more of us grey haired men stalking reds and greys these days. The kids tend to keep ol' dad too busy .

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    Step grandson not interested. Some of his friends have expressed an interest and I may take a couple of them out. I haven't missed many opening days over the years.

Very, very cool, both that you`ll take the young one`s out, even though not your blood, and, that you`ve missed so few opening days. My Nephew told me last year, that squirrel hunting is becoming a lost art. I tend to agree. Good for you buddy!

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    I'll take greys only anymore. Getting picky in my old age.

I`ve said the same thing for the few times I`ve been out over the past couple years. To me, too many of the fox`s just swell up and are like rubber in the skillet. A good friend who is an avid "everything" outdoors said he put`s old fox squirrels in a pressure cooker before transferring them to the skillet, and he said it makes them much more than just edible.

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    Even pushing the season start up to aug 15 (can't even remember when they did that) always wait till the first frost to tree rat hunt.

It might change a bit this year as a new dog has found its way to the house. But if you can't start off in a sweat shirt at least in the very early am it is not time yet. Just always been what I do. Less bugs. More active tree rats. Favorite time of year is truly a winters day with sun. The second favorite is always just as scout trip for deer with a marlin Mountie or a 22 pistol. Nothing like it but early season always seemed better for drinking a beer and catching a fish.

Summer has been filled with daughters softball for several years. Starts at Easter time ended at Halloween time but her being 17-18 now those days are done. It is years of catch up work from being gone every weekend for tourneys a couple days of practice and a play in game a week. Maybe it is time to start walking about earlier this year for sure.

When the little one`s aren`t so little anymore, everything changes, I know...

Squirrel season just takes me back to, what was in many ways, a simpler time. I wouldn`t want to go back there, but the memories of times out in the woods, scouring the tree tops for squirrels, just is soothing I think. I had given up squirrel hunting entirely, but I believe it`s time to take it up again. Kind of a balm for the soul.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Yes still tagged along to a couple softball games this spring. Watched a pitcher at 13 with some amazing skills. Drop ball. Curve inside and outside, fastball, rise ball and change up. Plus her fastball speed was almost 64 mph at 13. Drove an hour one way to see the game.

But the days of 100 degree heat at the park with the no coolers (team coolers only) rule at not much missed.

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    You grow to hate those years of softball, but you do miss them a little when they're gone, don't you? Stuff like that is why you see more of us grey haired men stalking reds and greys these days. The kids tend to keep ol' dad too busy .

Absolutely. I`m tickled I`m at a place in life now, where I can hopefully get some of the grandkids out, into the woods, and just maybe, put the love of the hunt into their hearts, in spite of the anti-everything agenda that seems to be in place. I know we`ll even say a prayer before the sun comes up, then we`ll pray again should we take any game. That`s a part of the proper way to bring them into hunting, for me.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    Absolutely. I`m tickled I`m at a place in life now, where I can hopefully get some of the grandkids out, into the woods, and just maybe, put the love of the hunt into their hearts, in spite of the anti-everything agenda that seems to be in place. I know we`ll even say a prayer before the sun comes up, then we`ll pray again should we take any game. That`s a part of the proper way to bring them into hunting, for me.

That is the RIGHT way to do it .....

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    I will start early this year squirrel hunting in order to scout for deer I like to find ambush areas between feeding and bedding areas.

I will also be putting out trail cameras in an effort to find evidence of a mountain lion!

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Here in the GSF seed ticks have discouraged a lot of early season squirrel hunters, if you go out before October, wear good repellent.

King31

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    Southern Indiana
    I always go several times before cold weather hits. It is much harder now to find the time than it used to be during high school/college. Blue Raid sprayed on clothing, pants leg duct taped around my boots, and a lot of Off on the hat does the trick for me. Stalking around a big hickory tree on a brisk morning with a .22 in hand, is one of the more enjoyable things in my life. Patience is key, but it is well worth it!

IMG_1790_zpsjj3gy2qr.jpg

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    I`ve said the same thing for the few times I`ve been out over the past couple years. To me, too many of the fox`s just swell up and are like rubber in the skillet. A good friend who is an avid "everything" outdoors said he put`s old fox squirrels in a pressure cooker before transferring them to the skillet, and he said it makes them much more than just edible.

Plus 1 on the pressure cooker. 15 minutes at 10 lbs of pressure will tenderize old squirrels, red OR grey. Don't put the young ones in there if you can keep em separate. They turn to mush b4 the old ones are done. Lot of good meat on a dumb ole fox squirrel. Shame to give em a pass.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    I'd love to squirrel hunt with my 39A once again, but the woods I'd be most likely to hunt is also the one I intend to deer hunt come November.
    It's a tough choice to make.

Top Bottom