• ...and so much more!
  • DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    I was so happy to add the last of the "regular" calibers, a 45 70, to my Marlin lever action row. "So what if it's a Remlin?" I thought. "Quality is better now, and it's still a Marlin!".
    Yeah, right. I left it in the passenger seat of the old S10 for the last 4 days, covered by an old tool bag. When I go to bring it in to clean today? Rust. Cappy little specks of corrosion all over the damn thing. Not really established yet, just a quick wipe with an oily rag to clean it up. But really? Seriously? How much did you spend on the finish, Remington? A penny? Was it even that much?

**** you, Remington.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Saw a buddies 870 express rust while we watched in hunting camp once. It was an issue in the parkerizing. Sure is was damp out and humid but truly you could watch it rust up. It got replaced by Remington. Something was missing from the finish they said. The next express did not rust. The I told you to go ahead and get the 1980's wing master 2 3/4 but you had to get the express in 3 inch cheaper. Almost priceless. How many of that run of guns is currently setting in a safe or closet rusting who knows.

Sounds like that one could use a very good buff with wax. Friends dad used to buff with wax as a coating on rough finished guns. They looked good and stopped rusting. He also shined up stainless firearms well.

Ohh and never leave em in the truck for days in this humidity what was it today before the rain 97 precent. Bad dad.

Let us know anything else about the gun. Is the wood still that plastic looking stuff? Fit finish (well we started there) groupings feeding issues. Ejection and feeding. The 1895 was one of the levers they had better luck with post JM circle stamp. Still have not seen a 2016 2017 model 39a but it is still a catalogue item. Just not seen one in the wild.

Big time marlin fan here. 44 mags times 2 39a's times 14. (Wife's complains about why one would want 14 of the same model) a 46-70 guide. 35 rem 30-30. 41 mag. And an outfitter. Just so far that is. Luckily I have always had it in for the level guns.

I will I'll see if my post Cerberus marlin boxes picture is still in the photobucket. You will get a kick out of it. Bought the 30-30 for the box souls the rifle.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    I've seen the $H*TTY Remlins, very. I have tons of complains about them but this is the first I've seen/heard with the finish issue (besides looking cheap) but I'm not shocked.

Long story short, Remington can and will, screw up a wet dream. Don't buy Remington/Remlin

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    Many years ago, I took my relatively new Remington 11-87 Cantilever to the HNF on opening day of firearms season. I sat near a great area I`d stumbled onto with a lot of great sign, and it rained, and rained, and rained. Getting home that evening, I tore her down to clean her, and the gas seal collar had already formed rust. I was heartbroken and frustrated. No way you should spend what that gun cost, and have to worry about the thing holding up to a single wet outing. Fast forward to circa 2012, and I bought a Remington 870 Tactical from Bradis. Took it home, wiped it down well, and stowed her in the safe only to take her out just a few weeks later to find minor surface rust all along the barrel. Not one more Remington for me, ever.

Last edited:

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    That's what really Pisses me off. I grew up with a wingmaster, and killed my first deer with it. In the rain. I got an 1187 when i grew up that I lost track of how many it took . I expect QUALITY from Remington. This **** is just a complete stab in the back as far as I'm concerned.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    I was so happy to add the last of the "regular" calibers, a 45 70, to my Marlin lever action row. "So what if it's a Remlin?" I thought. "Quality is better now, and it's still a Marlin!".
    Yeah, right. I left it in the passenger seat of the old S10 for the last 4 days, covered by an old tool bag. When I go to bring it in to clean today? Rust. Cappy little specks of corrosion all over the damn thing. Not really established yet, just a quick wipe with an oily rag to clean it up. But really? Seriously? How much did you spend on the finish, Remington? A penny? Was it even that much?

**** you, Remington.

If it will print a "group" of less than 4-6" at 100 yards, then it is still better than some of the JM stamped 1894s I've seen and heard about.

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    That's what really Pisses me off. I grew up with a wingmaster, and killed my first deer with it. In the rain. I got an 1187 when i grew up that I lost track of how many it took . I expect QUALITY from Remington. This **** is just a complete stab in the back as far as I'm concerned.

I get it. I get the whole nostalgia thing. I get wanting something to be a great gun just because of what it is. I definitely get, expecting what I paid a lot of very hard earned cash for, to be what I expect, and to hold up and perform.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Went to the Remington website couple weeks ago to see which 700 models are offered in .338 win mag. Not a single one. Really?????

To me that's just weird. Different flavor of Remington disappointment than finish / craftsmanship flavor in OP, but WTF! Their management is seriously messed up.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    IF you're depending on RemOil to lube and wipe down your weapons that's where your problem is. It just doesn't keep the rust off.
    Wipe them down wet with CLP and wipe dry. No more rust issues.
    It's not just Remington that's cheapened up the finishes. .

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Went to the Remington website couple weeks ago to see which 700 models are offered in .338 win mag. Not a single one. Really?????

To me that's just weird. Different flavor of Remington disappointment than finish / craftsmanship flavor in OP, but WTF! Their management is seriously messed up.

Well . . . I have recommendations but I get to come up and shoot it.:D

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    If it will print a "group" of less than 4-6" at 100 yards, then it is still better than some of the JM stamped 1894s I've seen and heard about.

I have an 1894 JM stamped 44mag cowboy. I have taken a bunch of deer with. It's accurate. I thought the JM stamped ones were the good ones. :scratch:

spankys56

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 11, 2014
    NWI
    This is a lesson for all of us, almost all new production guns seem to be way off on the quality anymore. My advice to everybody is. do your research and find out what serial ranges are proven on a particular gun you are interested in and find it used. It may not be perfect but you wont have a new POS that you can't stand to even look at that you dropped a 8 spot on. It seems most quality fell of after the 90's. It does take more time a effort to locate them used but guns are not cheap and money does not come easy for me anyway.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    I have an 1894 JM stamped 44mag cowboy. I have taken a bunch of deer with. It's accurate. I thought the JM stamped ones were the good ones. :scratch:

Some of the JM stamped Marlins are good, some are not but the hype about them, imo, is based more on 1) the rapid collector value increase(which happens every time there is a change in ownership of a company) and 2) the terrible quality control on some of the guns leaving the factory during the first few years after Remington took over. Of all of the problems I have heard and/or know of with the late JM Marlins, I have yet to hear of a problem with the cowboy models, all of the problems have been associated with standard 1894s in .44 mag specifically.

saintnick81

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    Bedford
    My 870 was the same way. I could see it rusting as I was sitting in my treestand. Remington was no help so I had a friend duracoat it and did a rattle can camo job over top of that.

Top Bottom