• ...and so much more!
  • bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I discovered a nest with baby birds. Anyone know what kind they may be?

51fpMmI.jpg

zLeTQmc.jpg

Khhxkz2.jpg

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    Twig nest in a goofy location, I'm guessing wrens.

I think you're right. They're either Carolina Wrens or House Wrens.

It would be easy to find out by just sitting quietly near the nest (not too close) and wait to see one of the parents bring food in.

Definitely not Robins. Robins make a bowl-shaped nest and they mix mud with the material.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    BigBoxaJunk pretty much has you covered.
    Definitely not robins.
    The location is all wrong, and they didn't make a more compact and mud-reinforced nest.
    As BBaJ already said, the quickest way to get your answer is to set up a clandestine location to avoid spooking the parents to ID that way.
    Better yet, use a camera with a good resolution with a proper optical (NOT digital) zoom function so that you can post the photos of the parents here to ensure proper ID.
    I'm certain that they're not starlings, so that's a very good thing, as starlings are an all too common pest bird that I've killed in the hundreds.
    However, it's possible -- although unlikely -- that they're House sparrows, another pest bird.
    They're definitely not that other pest bird, pigeons, so it would be best to leave them alone otherwise, especially from a legal aspect because (haven't confirmed, but believe it to be true) it can be illegal to deliberately harm native birds.

Hoosier Carry

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2012
    In the Woods
    Had a Robin build a nest on top of our garage light that's why I thought this was robins.

The nest is still there but it is definitely a bowl. So I agree that they must not be Robins.
    Maybe you can get some weekly pics and share with us. I would like to see them as they grow.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    Come around and check periodically. Mom needs to feed them frequently, and if she is a small brown bird, with tailfeathers angled upward at about 45 degrees...House Wren. They have that name because they want to build attached to a structure. They will give you a real scare if you walk up on them unexpectedly...careful she doesn't take your head off flying out of there!

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Not baby's this time, just a nest. If it's the same bird as I seen a couple three weeks ago in the same spot, they are black and dark blue. Really fast darting fliers.

TIA :ingo:

Hoosier Carry

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2012
    In the Woods
    Had a nest from Robins on top of our meter base. Watched them from eggs to young all spring. The Mother got comfortable enough to sit 10-15 feet from us while we mulched the flower bed.
    Walked by one day and one of them had twine from the nest wrapped around its leg and it was hanging outside of the nest. Poor guy had a short life but the other 3 were gone. Mother Nature is amazing.

Top Bottom