• ...and so much more!
  • Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    152   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    So I'm newer to hunting. Spent a few quarter days last season and haven't had a deer yet. I plan to sit a tree stand on a friends 10 acre plot October 1-3. Last night, I was taking care of a few pests in their woods (same place ill be deer hunting Oct 1st) and could barely hear anything around me from the buzzing of mosquitoes around my ears (over mask). I got bitten about 25 times in one hour (my wife just finished anti itch cream and now estimates 75 bites!!!!) as the bugs got in and around my clothing and all over my face despite bug spray. Are the mosquito activity deep in the woods generally this bad in Oct too, or was this a weird experience? If so, what are you methods of control? Does being in a stand change anything? Yes I had bug spray on!

Last edited:

Restroyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    SE Indiana
    Early October mosquitoes are still bad down here. Late October and November they are pretty much gone. Main thing I can recommend is long sleeves and pants and bug spray with 20 to 30 percent deet (I have not had luck with the organic sprays that are deet free). They also sell thermocell devices you carry on you but I have never tried those because they are too expensive so I can't say if they actually work.

Hoosier Carry

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2012
    In the Woods
    You don't have to go deep in the woods for mosquitoes to drive you nuts in the early season. On average they will tend to die out around the first weeks of November. You should have a good breathable face mask or netted hood for the early season.

I never used a Thermocell until last year because I was worried about the scent. But I can tell you that it worked well. I had to get down early on an evening sit because of mosquitos. Next night I was back it the same spot with one on my side and was able to hunt without them bothering me. As for the scent, I can smell the stuff burning so I know deer can smell it. You will need to play the wind the best you can but at least you'll be in your stand and not doing chores!

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Thermacell (and similar devices) works great as long as you're in a fixed position. If you're moving, not so much.

AtTheMurph

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    Or if there is any wind, or there are 10,000,000 mosquitoes per sq inch like I have seen. Nothing stops them but a barrier.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    Spray down your clothes with .5% permethrin as per instructions. I spent the summer in some of the most mosquito-infested places Indiana has to offer, and never got bit through my clothes (also repels ticks and chiggers). 40% DEET for the rest works great. Higher percentages give longer protection, but not more, and tend to melt plastic.

Last edited:

bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    Spray down your clothes with .5% permethrin as per instructions. I spent the summer in some of the most mosquito-infested places Indiana has to offer, and never got but through my clothes (also repels ticks and chiggers). 40% DEET for the rest works great. Higher percentages give longer protection, but not more, and tend to melt plastic.

+1 on everything he said. I use the permethrin on my cover up clothes and DEET on the exposed areas.....the DEET will eat clean through some of the new cool dry fast dry clothes.

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    152   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    Thanks so much guys. Is this combo instead of thermocell, or should I use in addition to? My thermocell just came in, but I'm open to anything! Any issues using permethrin or deet come whitetail season?

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    I would think a Thermocell would be more of a problem, since it depends on spreading scent into the air. My hunting buddy swears by his Thermocell, but I've never seen him use it during a hunt.

Don't need a Thermocell if you use Permethrin/DEET. Not sure deer have adapted to DEET=human yet. There are plenty of people who use it without hunting. Maybe it helps mask human scent? Maybe a Thermocell does the same?

More questions than answers.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Anyone tried Picaridin yet? Unlike DEET, it's odorless, non-greasy, and does not attack plastics and other synthetics.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    I would think a Thermocell would be more of a problem, since it depends on spreading scent into the air. My hunting buddy swears by his Thermocell, but I've never seen him use it during a hunt.

Don't need a Thermocell if you use Permethrin/DEET. Not sure deer have adapted to DEET=human yet. There are plenty of people who use it without hunting. Maybe it helps mask human scent? Maybe a Thermocell does the same?

More questions than answers.

Most forms of DEET has a stronger and less natural smell than the Allethrin in a Thermacell. DEET is also more likely to leave scent behind on the trail in as well. The bite barrier suits are the best option for true scent free hunting.

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    Permathrin on your clothing and ThermaCell for the skeeters.

If deer can smell the ThermaCell they can smell you too..

Prior to the invention of ThermaCell I used the Permathrin on my clothes and a head net while hunting black bears in Canada. The skeeters were huge and they would make touch and go landings on my clothes. Not a one stayed on the clothes..

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    Prior to the invention of ThermaCell I used the Permathrin on my clothes and a head net while hunting black bears in Canada. The skeeters were huge and they would make touch and go landings on my clothes. Not a one stayed on the clothes..
    This is what I noticed when doing informal arm-vs. arm tests with various repellents at our local mosquito hell-hole. Doesn't keep them from landing, but keeps them from staying. Makes us "taste wrong," I guess.

Mosquitoes use 4 parameters to find us:
    Motion
    Carbon dioxide
    Body heat
    Skin chemicals

You can't do much about the first 3 besides being dead (though some systems use decoy sources of CO2, they are not usually portable). So that leaves us with the last one. That also explains in part how some people are much more attractive than others to mosquitoes.

Top Bottom