• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 1DOWN4UP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2015
    North of 30
    I have a sandy spot,and they are making holes in the ground to make the nests.They are flying a couple ft.off the ground sparing for a spot. I will not mow this spot I don't think for quite some time.......I saw a queen breeding the other day,and her stinger was at least 1/4 inch long.They are not aggressive like yellow jackets or hornets,BUT they are huge....

Last edited:

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I have a sandy spot,and they are making holes in the ground to make the nests.They are flying a couple ft.off the ground sparing for a spot. I will not mow this spot I don't think for quite some time.......I saw a queen breeding the other day,and her stinger was at least 1/4 inch long.They are not aggressive like yellow jackets or hornets,BUT they are huge....

I see. Yes they are huge. The first time I saw one I thought it was one of those Japanese hornets I'd seen on a National Geographic show. :D

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    My kid is working for a lawn service this summer. He has seen a ton of them.

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    The cicadas have given me an awesome show here in southeast Fishers. It really was impressive. Last year I had cicada killers all over. When I mowed a few days ago I saw one hive. I may have a war brewing.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    They've been noisy as heck here in my backyard in Hobart for at least 3 weeks now. Outdoor cats love to eat them, lots of protein i guess

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I had the killers quite heavy a few years back in the garden. I think tilling eradicated them. Only seen a few these last couple years.

The weeds are deep this year and I'm due for tilling, we'll see how many are hiding out there. I've certainly heard the screaming cicadas as of late.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    I was thinking just the other day that it seemed like there was a lot of cicada racket. Sun up to sun down almost constant. BZZZZZTTTTTT BZZZZZTTTT Don't think I've seen but one or two of the killers, tho.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    OMG they were super loud near my neighborhood but finally died off about 6 weeks ago. Millions of them! I didn't see a single killer. The only Cicada killer was my mini long haired dachshund. We couldn't get her to come inside at night. She wouldn't eat her dog food but ate so many bugs she made herself sick. They must be delicious!!!

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    When I read about stingers, I thought you guys were talking about the cicadas and I though "Whaaaaaa?". Then I realized it was something call a cicada killer wasp, which I didn't know existed until I read this topic and did some googlin'.

rw02kr43

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    Paragon
    How do I get rid of them? I have a rental property with a nest somewhere in the yard. My tenant is terrified of them. She thought they were hornets. I told her they weren't and were harmless unless she's a cicada. But I'd still like them gone.

Jason

jrogers

Why not pass the time with a game of solitaire?
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Central IN
    How do I get rid of them? I have a rental property with a nest somewhere in the yard. My tenant is terrified of them. She thought they were hornets. I told her they weren't and were harmless unless she's a cicada. But I'd still like them gone.

Jason

When I was a kid the standard approach was a pellet gun. Not terribly effective if you have more than a few, but boy was it fun!

Our giant bucket-headed mutt thinks that they are delectable.

Bzzzzzzt. CRUNCH Chomp chomp chomp.

Same. Last time they showed up he thought it was a month of Christmas. I'm disappointed that we haven't seen any this year. I could be saving on dog food!

Top Bottom