• ...and so much more!
  • CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Let me set the stage for the nearly heart-attack I had:
    On my property there is an old abandoned limestone house in the woods; built in 1930. It's been 25 years since it's been occupied, it's in BAD shape. Unfortunately, due to a convoluted water well setup, the power for the well is fed from that old house, that still maintains an electrical panel in the basement. Because part of the basement wall is caved in critters are free to come and go as they please. Even more unfortunately, I have to go down into the basement to check the electrical panel and well-timer occasionally. The steps are in a sad state of decay, I can only step on the steps right next to the stringers, stepping in the middle will likely land you in the 6" of water in the basement. If it were ever necessary to quickly vacate the basement I likely would break through the steps in my haste. YIKES!!! Therefore I'm always very cautious when going down; I try to make plenty of noise in the main level of the house to give critters a chance to vacate before I go down.

So last night I'm down there checking on the panel, coming up with my game-plan to re-route the well power to the electrical panel in the shop. I'm tracing wires through the ceiling by flashlight. Some of these wires are LARGE old-school wires with the woven fabric insulation on them. As I was tracing wires I had a "holy crap, that's a huge wire" moment. Time seemed to slow down from there, it occurred to me that what I was seeing was NOT the woven insulation of a really large wire, it was the scaled texture on a snake-skin. As much as I like having snakes around, I don't EVER want one right above my head. Thankfully, this skin did NOT have the snake inside of it, but who knows if at some point previously it was laying there in the floor-joists shedding it's skin as I walked underneath (it's directly over the electrical panel)? Oh, the important part, from what I can estimate on length of the skin from what remained, the snake was at LEAST 8 feet long...maybe more.

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    Timber Rattlesnakes aren't big climbers, your safe. Even money says it a Black Rat Snake. :thumbsup:

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Timber Rattlesnakes aren't big climbers, your safe. Even money says it a Black Rat Snake. :thumbsup:
    I figured a Black Snake but still a bit spooky when you're not expecting it...
    Yeah...sounds like it's time to get that power feed changed over. :D
    Haha, that's definitely the plan, just waiting on Duke to do their part. Their engineer came out in May to look the situation over, he said he would get back to me in a couple weeks. I finally called him a couple weeks ago and left a message, still no response from him.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    362   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    My family used to have a nice cabin/small house in Pike County. Fairly open layout with an open staircase with stairs made from sawn barn beams to the upper level. We went up one weekend, opened the place up and went to bed. The next morning there was a large shed snakeskin on the stairs. The 12 yo boy that I was just KNEW that the snake was still in the stairs, waiting to bite my ankle.

ACC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    134   0   1
    Mar 7, 2012
    N. Side of Indy
    99% it was a black rat snake. They are the only ones I have seen around Indiana that get 6' or more. I have definitely seen a 7'+ version at my property in Parke Co.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    So last night at dusk walked down the path to the barn to feed the horse. On the way back there is an 18" copperhead just to the left of the path. I'm about six feet away when he moves and I spot him. Hmm. Did he crawl next to the path AFTER I passed by, or did I just walk right by him on my way past earlier? Entertaining thought.

In general I am a live and let live kind of guy, but this part of the path is very close to the house so I grabbed a nearby hoe and commenced battle. I left the body hanging over a big downed tree limb on the ground, with the separated head nearby (didn't have a pike handy!).

This morning when I walked by both the body and the head were gone. Hmmm. Rational thought says the local barn owl who inhabits my property found a midnight snack he didn't have to work for, or something similar.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I miss my big 'ol Black Rat Snake. I found blood next to a giant crack in the floor of my old barn. It must have found it's way under a tire?

It left skins hanging from the barn rafters. My daughter and I once watched it climb the side of a tree to disappear into a hole in the tree trunk 12-13 foot off the ground. It was like a Hitchcock movie. :runaway:

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    I figured a Black Snake but still a bit spooky when you're not expecting it...

Haha, that's definitely the plan, just waiting on Duke to do their part. Their engineer came out in May to look the situation over, he said he would get back to me in a couple weeks. I finally called him a couple weeks ago and left a message, still no response from him.

Maybe the snake that left the skin ate him. :runaway::runaway::runaway:

:D

kickbacked

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    My dog found a garter snake in the yard the other day. He didnt want to play, i tried picking him up but he wasnt having it and slithered into some thick brush

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    YEESH, had a bit of excitement last night... but first, let me rewind...

4 days ago I went to the basement to check some things and noticed a NEW skin about 4-1/2 or 5 feet long. It was definitely new and it was complete, head-to-tail. It was located very close to the other, older one.

Fast-forward to last night, a buddy needed a place to crash overnight, but didn't get in until late. I was showing him around a bit in the dark. We were walking through the old house with headlamps/flashlights. I went to show him the basement and about jumped out of my skin. The door location blocks the view of the jamb (knob/handle) side of the door as you round the corner to the door. I reach out to open the door (it's always cracked a bit because it won't fully close) and there is a black-snake hanging out in the crack, suspended from the top of the door, head right next to the handle. HOLY CRAP, heart-attack!!!! My buddy wanted to catch him, I told him I didn't want to molest the snake for fear of driving him away (he's likely there because there is food there). He was definitely defensive, started rattling his tail and bunching up to act like a rattler.

Top Bottom