• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SEMI-AK

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    Barnes Vortx is the pill u seek for seek for deer. They are tipped with black plastic. They are going to stop a deer very well. They are what I recommend regardless of barrel length. /thread.

BiscuitsandGravy

Future 'shootered'
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 8, 2016
    At the Ranch.
    Barnes Vortx is the pill u seek for seek for deer. They are tipped with black plastic. They are going to stop a deer very well. They are what I recommend regardless of barrel length. /thread.

Word. Double /thread. My Son took his 8 pointer with a 110g Barnes Tac-Tx solid copper black tip. Very DRT. It didnt go 20'. Very accurate but a little pricey. Except for my 450BM, we'll be using Barnes all season.

[video=youtube;HwqjUYzV27A]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwqjUYzV27A[/video]

yetti462

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 18, 2016
    Unglaciated heaven
    I dumped a doe with a 300bo. Shooting the Hornady hog hammer 130 gr barnes. Worked well, but it was a front on neck shot. Exit hole was size of golf ball. Only shot at 100 yds, can't speak for farther shooting ability.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    I used a 110 gr Hornady SST on a wild boar at 100 yards. Exit wound was golf ball sized hole.

Im sure the "There's better rounds for deer" peeps will be along shortly to tell us what we're doing wrong tho.

dekeshooter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 8, 2010
    Bunker Hill
    My wife killed her buck last year with a 125gr Nosler BT over Winchester 296 fired from a Ruger American Ranch.

The shot was only about 25 yards and she took out the lungs and the top of the heart. The deer piled up within 30 yards.

The sad sad thing is, I loaned her the rifle because we didn't have the chance to check zero on her .300 Blackout AR and she decided the Ruger is hers now since she made the first kill with it.

Oh well, happy wife happy life.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    Haven't had the opportunity to whack anything yet but I loaded up a bunch of 125grn SST on top of IMR4227

Looking for a gun let me know. Mine is a safe queen.

glank09

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 27, 2013
    Corunna
    Shot both a buck and a doe last year with my 300BO pistol. Neither one took a step further at 60 yards.i was using the 110 gr. Barnes

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    My pattern opens up with 110gr loads, so I used a 125gr Team Never Quit round. I get 1 inch or smaller groups at 100 yards consistently, anything lighter opens up to 2 inch groups.

I took my buck last season at 50 to 60 yards, hit him in the vitals and he hit the ground without taking a step. I would not trust the round past 150 yards as the energy sheds off pretty quick with 300bo, but in the areas I hunt 150 yards is about all the further any shot needs to go.

29zougz.jpg

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    My favorite .300 AAC load is a .243 Winchester.

:D

Just messin with ya,
    -Nate

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Which AR platform do ya use?

Ha, shoot, I only wish I did! I think an M110 in .260 or similar with a 22" barrel, suppressed, would be pretty close to approaching an ideal, for an automatic do-all.

I use bolt guns, and try for only using one round.

-Nate

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    The regs are confusing is .300 blk ok on public land or private only?

In a pistol it's GTG in all place unless they don't allow pistols (IE, deer reduction hunt at Crane was muzzleloader & shotgun only when they still did that). However, the HP rifle law that allows 300 BLK rifles is only applicable to private property.

Bsj425

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Jeffersonville
    In a pistol it's GTG in all place unless they don't allow pistols (IE, deer reduction hunt at Crane was muzzleloader & shotgun only when they still did that). However, the HP rifle law that allows 300 BLK rifles is only applicable to private property.

The government makes zero sense. There is no logic in that what so ever.. Also doesn't make sense that I can literally hunt coyotes just about anywhere with a .50BMG if I wanted to ..hopefully they re-visit this in the future.

tiz9p.jpg tiz9p.jpg

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    The government makes zero sense. There is no logic in that what so ever.. Also doesn't make sense that I can literally hunt coyotes just about anywhere with a .50BMG if I wanted to ..hopefully they re-visit this in the future.

tiz9p.jpg View attachment 57897
    Yeah, before the HPR law it was confusing to try to explain to people the nuances of deer hunting in Indiana... Prior to the HPR law you could use a pistol if it was chamber in a pistol or rifle cartridge (anything that met the minimum caliber of .243), but could only use a rifle if it was chambered in a pistol cartridge. SBRs count as "handguns" in Indiana, so some were "bypassing" this by registering a short-barrelled rifle and hunting with a legal rifle caliber in their "shoulder fired handgun". But the state caught on and disallowed that, so SBRs are handguns in Indiana EXCEPT when considering legal calibers for deer hunting.

Now we have HPRs allowed on private property... we're working towards a slow transition of less confusing and less "stupid".

edwea

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jan 25, 2015
    New Dolan
    I just re-sighted in my 300 blk for use on deer this year. New 10.5" bbl and vortex strikefire make a sweet shooting little rig. I had planned on using my 125 gn sst over h110, but ordered some 125 gn gmx that I think I will use instead. It is a monolithic bullet similar to the Barnes and should expand reliably at 300 blk velocities. And it was on sale at Midway for about .42 per pill...much cheaper than the Barnes. We'll see how it does I guess.

BiscuitsandGravy

Future 'shootered'
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 8, 2016
    At the Ranch.
    I just re-sighted in my 300 blk for use on deer this year. New 10.5" bbl and vortex strikefire make a sweet shooting little rig. I had planned on using my 125 gn sst over h110, but ordered some 125 gn gmx that I think I will use instead. It is a monolithic bullet similar to the Barnes and should expand reliably at 300 blk velocities. And it was on sale at Midway for about .42 per pill...much cheaper than the Barnes. We'll see how it does I guess.

Sounds like a solid set up. You should do just fine. :yesway: :yesway:

:ingo:

Top Bottom