• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ws6duramax

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    Metamora
    Due to an unfortunate change in my schedule , I'm forced to cancel this . Hopefully I can do it again next year

My family and I did this last year and everything went well and turned out to be a great time . So why not do it again !

I would like to give some young boy or girl who doesn't have a place to hunt or has to hunt public land a chance to hunt some good private ground .
    I'm looking to give this to someone who preferably has not hunted yet , or who has hunted but hasn't had any luck . This will be on the honors system , since I have no way of knowing who's done what . So please keep it to a youth in need .

We own approximately 350 acres in Metamora In 47030 , which is about 1 hour Southeast of Indy . There are roughly 14 double ladder sites and 5 elevated and enclosed shoot houses and some ground blind setups . Food plants planted every year , and try to manage the population the best we can . It should be close to a 100% oppurtunity .

My requirements are :
    Age 8-16 M/F must have completed hunters ed. and be able to show card .

Must be able to supply own legal weapon archery/firearm and hunting license .

Parent/Guardian must come along with them and also sign a waiver releasing me from any liability/responsibility .

This will be limited to a 1 doe only hunt . I want it to be more about getting the kids outdoors , than the trophy .

Hunting out of ladder stand will require you to have a safety harness at all times . I do have some , but I prefer you have your own .

I will provide food , lodging up to 3 people (if desired) , processing if time permits and a great hunt .

If possible I would like the hunter or huntress to be able to arrive on the day before the youth opener which would 9/22 , maybe an hour or two before dark . That way we could get acquainted and shown around the place . Youth season is 9/23 and 9/24 . A meet and greet sometime before youth opening weekend would be preferred .

Just post the name of the child and age and I will put them in the hat . Please only enter once per youth , but you may enter multiple youths .

I will most likely draw an alternate or two in the event someone drops out or if it is just to far to drive .

Entries can start now and will end on 9/14/2017 around 4 pm .

I will have a few other kids hunting as well , ages from about 7-16 yrs. old . It should be a great time .

If you have any questions , please post them up or Pm me . I wish anyone who enters good luck and I cant wait to meet whoever gets picked !

Jim

Here is a link to last years hunt : https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/great-outdoors/418960-free-youth-hunt.html

Last edited:

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    With very, very much respect to what you are doing (and as I would not be so willing, having been burned numerous times)...

...I only suggest that for the magnitude of the gesture, you ask that the youngster and family come in the week before, walk around and meet/greet slowly and casually. I think the night before idea is great, but it's A) not a wonderful idea to be blundering around the woods the night before, and (B) it could be much more casual and the kid likely more attentive if it were not season the next day.

Done,

-Nate

bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    +1 I followed this last year and must say this is one truly great gesture!!

You sir are one of the GREAT ones!!

I also know you are a bit selfish.... having been with two youngsters for their first deer I got more joy out of it than my last ten deer....I mean this in a good way that if more people did this they would find the joy of the experience through someone else's eye's!!!! It is awesome and wish I could do it every year!

ws6duramax

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    Metamora
    With very, very much respect to what you are doing (and as I would not be so willing, having been burned numerous times)...

...I only suggest that for the magnitude of the gesture, you ask that the youngster and family come in the week before, walk around and meet/greet slowly and casually. I think the night before idea is great, but it's A) not a wonderful idea to be blundering around the woods the night before, and (B) it could be much more casual and the kid likely more attentive if it were not season the next day.

Done,

-Nate

I edited the OP to reflect your suggestion . If it can work out for an earlier meeting , that's great , if not its ok to .

Last edited:

Bsj425

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Jeffersonville
    Awesome gesture! I am taking my boy out for his first youth Turkey and hopefully deer this year. He is only 7 tho and hasn't done hunters ed yet, will be hunting under an apprentice license. I took the hunters ed course online to test out the difficulty and some of the things may still be a bit out of his comprehension and I want him to fully understand everything when he does take it. He has been on a lot of squirrel and rabbit hunts with his 10/22 but never and real game hunts. Good on ya OP! If you run this next year when he is older we would definitely be interested!

Hoosier Carry

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2012
    In the Woods
    I wish I owned property to host youth hunts like you are doing. So much fun to see kids enjoy the outdoors. Thanks for helping someone have a hunt they will remember. I would enter my son, but he's only 7 months and can't pull a bow back yet:D

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    What a wonderful thing to offer. I hope you get good, decent people, that will honor your wishes on shooting does only, and be good, gracious guests. Good for you man for being such a kind, and caring person.

ws6duramax

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    Metamora
    Due to an unfortunate change in my schedule , I'm forced to cancel this .

Thanks for the kinds words . It was a tough choice , but sometimes things get in the way . Hopefully I can try it again next year .

Top Bottom