• ...and so much more!
  • Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    152   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    I'm applying for reserved hunts and keep seeing the military/refugee hunt. What the crap is a refugee hunt? Like Syrians apply for this hunt or what the crap?

1DOWN4UP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2015
    North of 30
    Can you also trap em?I would think to hunt em,you would need the Migratory stamp also.Non- Resident s will be very expensive.

Last edited:

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    But if they have been living in the state for over a year do you still need the migratory stamp????

You might need to check with Homeland Security or INS on that. I think if they are classified as a refugee, they retain that status even if they try to settle down!

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    All joking aside, these are military member only hunts? I'm a bit confused.

No. The short version is that you enter your name into a lottery to hopefully get picked to go hunt there.

The more detailed version is that these are population reduction hunts at facilities that usually have limited access. Because those that have access don't harvest enough deer they allow "outside hunters" in on special days to help reduce the population. Each facility is different but lets take Crane for example (even though they no longer do the state reduction hunts). At Crane only military and dod civilians that work on Crane can hunt there; IE they don't have to go through the lottery process to be able to do so. Just buy a Crane hunting permit, and abide by the rules. However, if not enough hunters that work at Crane kill deer the population will grow to where they need to harvest more, and they will then have a lottery for certain dates. On those dates you have masses of hunters that won the lottery, that do not normally have access to Crane, coming on ONLY on the date they are allowed. You get to pick an area (IIRC there is a quota of hunters for each area) from any remaining open spots, and you go hunt for that day and if you get one you get one and if you don't you go home empty-handed.

That being said, when these places are doing these hunts it's because they have high populations so as long as you aren't picky you're almost certain to harvest something. Also, each facility has it's own rules. At Crane you can't use handguns or PCRs etc, you must have a buddy, you must go through a somewhat painful check-in process and watch a safety video.

Lastly, this is all 2nd-hand info. I've never done the state reduction/refuge hunts. Never liked the idea of paying for a lottery that you may or may not win. I'm just a meat-hunter, paying for the chance at deer-hunting somewhere special, plus paying for license etc, then still having to pay for processing takes all the fun out of it for me. I just want some good, wholesome meat at little cost. I hunt my own place so I don't have to buy tags.

Top Bottom