How is the fishing in the Big Blue River?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • quicksdraw

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    Eastern In.
    I'll be moving out to Carthage at the end of the month and was wondering how the fishing is in the Big Blue between Knightstown and Shelbyville. I'd like to get a canoe and float the river, if the fishing is worthwhile.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    I'll be moving out to Carthage at the end of the month and was wondering how the fishing is in the Big Blue between Knightstown and Shelbyville. I'd like to get a canoe and float the river, if the fishing is worthwhile.

I'm not sure that the Big Blue is quite big enough for canoeing, although I might be wrong about that.

flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    My favorite if you can still find one is a large truck inner tube. Put a large galvanized wash tub in the middle then set a wide board on top and tie a rope around the board and threw the tub handles.
    Put a piece of carpet in the bottom of the tub to help quiet down noise and get or make a short handled paddle to maneuver with then drop in a small tackle box or your lunch and go fishing.
    You can just roll it along beside you till you get where you want to put it in or throw it in the pickup or van or car trunk and air it up when you get where your going with an electric tire pump.
    Back to your question, my Daughter and grand daughter lived in Carthage for a while, there are deep holes where the fishing is great but can be hard to get to without some kind of float as discribed above.

66chevelle

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jun 16, 2008
    greenfield
    There is a few deep holes on the big blue in this area. My buddy and I took a 10' flat bottom down it a few years ago when the water was high. We started at blue river long rifle in Morristown and took out in Shelbyville. It worked but a canoe/kayak would have been batter. We caught some nice small mouth and a bunch of blue gill. We have also wadded it when the water was low. I have bank fished it a bunch and have had good luck with catfish and small mouth. I've also had pretty good luck with turtles and frogs.

Top Bottom