• ...and so much more!
  • Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport
    Well is seems that my "victory" and others was short lived with regard to being drawn for the 2017 reserved dove hunt at the Winamac FWA. Here is what happened. On 07 Aug 2017 I received an e-mail from the IDNR indicating that I had been "successfully" drawn for 01 Sep 2017 for the reserved dove hunt at the Winamac FWA. Then yesterday when I get home from work and check my e-mail I have another e-mail from the IDNR indicating that the reserved hunts roster had been updated? So I go out and check it and it indicates I was UNsuccessful? So I called the Winamac FWA this AM and asked them what is going on? Well...apparently their automated system was only supposed to draw 26 people for 01 Sep 2017 and it malfunctioned and drew 52 people and automatically sent out notices via e-mail to all folks announcing their success.? So anyone drawn #27 thru #52 were infact NOT successful. In an attempt to make it up to those of us who got "accidently" drawn they are offering a IDNR $10.00 gift card and they indicated that we would be given preference points toward being drawn for next years reserved dove hunt? They also indicated that those of us drawn by accident could still show up on opening day as "stand by" hunters. I asked if we do that will be given preference above other standby hunters that were not "accidently " drawn. Short answer "no". Anyway just passing this info along.

Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport
    Here is what the IDNR sent me in an E-mail today regarding the 2017 dove hunt goat rope at the Winamac FWA:

We regret to inform you that you are unsuccessful for a Reserved Draw Dove Hunt at Winamac Fish and Wildlife Area. An error was made and more hunters were selected than we can accommodate for 9/1/2017. We do not wish to compromise the safety nor the quality of the hunt by putting more hunters in the field than the available space allows. Winamac FWA will hold a no-show drawing to fill any remaining spots after the successful hunters check in, we encourage you to attend if you are interested.
    Fish and Wildlife values you as a customer and will be sending you a gift certificate of $10.00 that can be used to purchase a hunting, fishing, or trapping license or be put towards a put-and-take pheasant hunt reservation from the Indiana DNR. In addition, because you were unsuccessful this year, you will receive a preference point in the 2018 dove drawing, if you enter, which will improve your odds of being drawn.
    Again, we apologize for the inconvenience and are doing our best to ensure that the draw runs properly next fall. If you have questions or experience difficulties using your gift certificate, contact Seth Peters at speters@dnr.in.gov or 317-234-5191

Indiana DNR Division of Fish and Wildlife

AtTheMurph

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    That's unfortunate, sorry you got screwed like that.

He didn't get screwed. He was given mistaken information that was later corrected. He isn't out anything and in fact was offered $10 for nothing. Sounds like the rest of us got screwed by a simple error. Now I and every other tax payer has got to cover the $260 some bureaucrat gave away.

I guess it's easy when the money isn't their in the first place.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    This stands as a prime example of my frustration regarding the fact that the state should not be an employer of last resort for people who are too stupid to breath, as evidenced by the sorry performance of most functions of the state government.

Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport
    I was informed by the IDNR that beginning next year for the 2018 reserved dove hunt at all IDNR locations where they hunt dove. They will begin a new system statewide whereby anyone who has applied for the reserve dove hunt/s and has not been lucky enough to be drawn in the last 3 years. Their names will be entered twice automatically into the lottery when they apply for said hunt in an attempt to give them a better chance of being drawn? Just wanted to pass along what Mr.Seth Peters informed me of.

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    That happened to me at Crane a few years back. I was drawn for the very first day. HOT DOG! Nooo.. I was accidently drawn but would get preference the next year. Noooo again.. I did not get drawn next year even with the preference..

AtTheMurph

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    That happened to me at Crane a few years back. I was drawn for the very first day. HOT DOG! Nooo.. I was accidently drawn but would get preference the next year. Noooo again.. I did not get drawn next year even with the preference..

My guess is that you were drawn correctly but then some bureaucrat and their cronies dcided they wanted to hunt too so you were moved to the "Oops, we screwed up" list to make room.

I know a connected guy who has been "drawn" for the reserve pheasant hunts nearly a dozen times in the last 25 years. I am 0 fer in the same time period. How does that work? He's simply lucky I guess?? lol.

DanO

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 27, 2009
    NW IN
    I was drawn for the special pheasant hunt near Willow Slough the first year I put in. Opening day! We were the first ones to hunt it that year. While I AM quite a big deal in my own mind, I don't have any hooks in INDR or any other state departments. Just saying, if it was all rigged, I wouldn't have got the premier slot the first year I put in.

BTW, INDR does an amazing job with this 120 acre property holding down the predators and providing an experience that felt like being in South Dakota hunting. We got our roosters plus half a dozen quail, putting up over 30 birds with the hens.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Disappointing. Sorry you got the short end this time, but hopefully you'll have other successes in the field this year to balance it out. And the $10 gift card is a nice thing.

Top Bottom