• ...and so much more!
  • Dwight D

Marksman
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Both IN and FL
    I have never seen one but over the last few years the subject has gained more popularity and frankly I find it intriguing. On a whim I had a hat made with the thread title on the front of it. Much to my wife's chagrin, I do wear it out in public on occasion. Most never even pay attention to what it says but occasionally I get a bite. I have been amazed at the things people have told me. I will start the thread with one such example. A friend of mine who is very quiet by nature and who I have known for years has never mentioned Bigfoot or anything else extraordinary before. But he saw my hat and told me about how when he was growing up in Northern Vigo county near the Vermillion county line he was close to the area where a major creek joined the Wabash river. He said some of the local men who worked the railroad delivering the coal to the power plants along the river would speak about seeing what they called River Monkeys. So anyone else got a story to tell?

OknElwt.jpg

Last edited:

Biggredchev

Just some guy
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 16, 2017
    Pretty much Michigan.
    I have a family member who owns about 10 acres of land between gilbert lake and tri-county game preserve in northeastern indiana. There is alot of nothing but fields, woods, and swamps between columbia city and cromwell so the wildlife is insane. Well about half his,land is wooded and his front yard is a hay field. One night he said every night before bed he goes out to smoke a cigar, and usually his property is booming with an insane amout of animals coming and going from tri-county. Well one night he said there was something very large in the field in front of his house and there is a light on a telephone pole across the street at a duck farm so all he could see was an outline. But whatever it was stood up and stared at him. This guy is not the type of guy to be scared of anything, but he said it made him very nervous even though he keeps an AR within arms reach.

We started talking more and more, and supposedly there has been alledged big foot sightings repoted around the tri-county area dating back to the 70s. I never knew, but the way he was talking peaked my intrest.. I thought it was a cool story but i personally have never seen anything.

4651feeder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 21, 2016
    East of NWI
    Not only have I seen it, I've got video of one caught on tape.

[video=youtube;Ei4jhm4emmk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ei4jhm4emmk[/video]

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Never seen one. My wife, however, is totally into the whole thing*. Follows the shows, follows the podcasts, follows all the forums and such. If she didn't hate mosquitoes so much (and wasn't afraid of the dark), she'd be out there hooting and banging 2x4's on trees.

Me? No. Too pragmatic. The chances of an large, advanced, upright primate to be living in such close proximity to H. sapiens sapiens in the continental US is pretty darned low. I could see something in Russia, where Denesovan hominids where found until fairly recently (in geologic terms). I mean, we are talking only low thousands of years between us and them. Remote, but possible, a small population could be around. There have certainly been multiple hominid species (and sub-species) living together historically.

51VPgL2OKmL._AC_UL320_SR214,320_.jpg

I mean, a single bear walked into Indiana and the whole state new about it within 24 hours. But, no one has any evidence of an entire breeding population of Sasquatch?

*for those who have followed my comments in other threads, you might see a trend.

Dino Bravo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 20, 2015
    Cumberland
    Never seen one. My wife, however, is totally into the whole thing*. Follows the shows, follows the podcasts, follows all the forums and such. If she didn't hate mosquitoes so much (and wasn't afraid of the dark), she'd be out there hooting and banging 2x4's on trees.

Me? No. Too pragmatic. The chances of an large, advanced, upright primate to be living in such close proximity to H. sapiens sapiens in the continental US is pretty darned low. I could see something in Russia, where Denesovan hominids where found until fairly recently (in geologic terms). I mean, we are talking only low thousands of years between us and them. Remote, but possible, a small population could be around. There have certainly been multiple hominid species (and sub-species) living together historically.

51VPgL2OKmL._AC_UL320_SR214,320_.jpg

I mean, a single bear walked into Indiana and the whole state new about it within 24 hours. But, no one has any evidence of an entire breeding population of Sasquatch?

*for those who have followed my comments in other threads, you might see a trend.

I agree. I think it's just highly unlikely it wouldn't be caught on a good film by now. The snow leopard is one of the most elusive animals on earth, yet it is on film. I just don't think there's a Sasquatch out there in the US anyway. And those shows kill me. They haven't presented any solid evidence, just claims. Except of course for Mountain Monsters....:)

Dwight D

Marksman
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Both IN and FL
    Now this is the interesting thing about the responses to espouse the improbability of this whole Bigfoot thing. First of all the question was asked of those who have seen it, not of those who don't think it possible, but yet for some reason the scoffers feel the need to reply..... hmm how odd. Also the statement is basically made that there is no evidence, again interesting. Why, well because the simple fact of the matter is that just because a person is not aware of something or has not seen the evidence does not mean such evidence does not exist. Especially if the question I pose next is answered honestly . That being, Just how much time have you actually spent looking into the matter? Despite the naysayers, there are degreed Biologists who are convinced in the existence. Dr Jeff Meldrum, Dr John Bindernagel, and Dr Jane Goodall to name 3. Also there is film that has been analyzed by professionals over and again and proven to be authentic. Patterson Gimlin film.You then have the track casts that have dermal ridges that have been examined by the only FBI trained finger print expert who is also trained in primate prints. His name is Jimmy Chilcutt and he states that casts he has examined are impossible to hoax the dermal ridges and that they are non human and of a non human primate that is yet to be identified. What about the over 17,000 reports in the data base the BFRO has on file from the last 20 years. Or the fact that native Americans have over 100 names for the creature. It would be refreshing for someone to just be humble enough to admit perhaps, just perhaps, there might be information in this world that they just don't have yet. ;)

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    A young man from Montana that frequents the shop had an "experience" while a young man near the Crazy Mountains....He's got a scar on his head from being grazed by a sniper and was the designated marksman in his unit while serving in Iraq....

He told the story and never said what it was...But he did say there is no animal in Montana capable of doing what happened to he and his friend that night...

I believe...Always have....

Legend of Boggy Creek ca 1973 at the Lakewood Drive In...Of course he exists...

Last edited:

kickbacked

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    One night i was taking the dog out, i heard this demonic growl i was sure was a big foot. Honestly really scared me. Started looking up animal calls and realized it was just a bobcat but boy did it sound big and nasty. I havent seen any or had any experience with big foot but i want to believe.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

Bigfoots don't breed. They are assembled in an intergalactic factory. They are cyborgs designed to spy on Earth for their alien masters. They were supposed to be human looking, but there was a little translation issue between the scouts and the engineers.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Let me preface this post with this: I'm not saying "bigfoot" does NOT exist. Stranger things have happened. There is certainly evidence of SOMETHING, but nothing that can rise to the level of certainty.

So, my background on the matter: I had a passing interest in cryptozoology for a couple of decades. Followed things like Bigfoot, Lock Ness, Champ, etc... Probably one of the reasons I studied Biology in college. Took courses in Ecology, Environmental Ecology, Populations, etc... Gave me what I believe is a pretty decent foundation, but by no means am I at the same level as a Ph. D..

So, that said, on the topic of a large bipedal primate, I tend to look at not just the reports, but what it would take to support such a beast. What is their likely habitat? Food sources? Range? How many individuals would it take to support a stable population? When are they most active? For these questions, the best approach is to look at known analogs. If we want to stick to semi-bipedal, that leaves us with Lowland Gorillas, Chimpanzees (too small, really), and Orangutans (more arboreal, but close). Habitats are all dense jungles. All pretty warm, and wet. Lots of food sources, as anything this size needs considerable calories. Fruits and the like are staples, though meat is not unheard of. In the search for food, their ranges are on the order of 2.5 to 5 square miles. Orangutans, being climbers, can travel much farther. Both the gorillas and the chimps stay primarily is family groups. Orangs tend to be more solitary. Research shows populations need to be larger than about 250 individuals to be "healthy". Smaller leads to too little genetic diversity. And finally, all Great Apes are active during the day, and not at night. Most forage in the morning and evening, rest during the heat of the day, and nest at night.

So, I would expect "bigfoot" to fall somewhere into the description above. Similar in most ways, different in a few. For its reported size, it would need on the order of 10,000 calories worth of fruit per day, year around. It seems to be a loner, so a range of healthy adults, at the low end, would need to be 625 square miles, with an adult every 2.5 square miles. On the high end, 1,200 square miles with an adult every 5 miles. And that is for a just barely healthy population of 250 adults.

So, this is why I start getting skeptical, especially in highly populated places like Indiana. There just isn't anywhere for that many large primates to hide. Even the most remote parts of the state have several people per square mile. Sure there are "sightings". But no one seems to have a working camera (they are all blurry, every time). No skeletons. No carcasses. No scat. Some footprints, maybe. Some hair, that can't be fully identified. People keep having "sightings" at night, but it is extremely rare for large primates to be active at night.

BUT.. that's why I pointed our Russia. We KNOW there was a hominid species there, living alongside modern humans, only a few thousand years ago. The area is INCREDIBLY remote. Not much in the way of food for a large primate, but, well, it could still work. Maybe a small population is still holding on?

And I suppose my skepticism could be fueled by the current crop of TV shows. They paint "bigfoot hunters" as a bunch of buffoons. At least the few specials on NatGeo and Science have tried to be scientific. Unfortunately, they are either denied access to any real data, of the data they collects turns out to disprove "bigfoot" (hair that ends up being from a horse, for example).

I'm not saying you shouldn't believe. Heck, my wife LOVES this stuff, and believes it with all her heart. And, winning me over is EASY. Bring me some DNA, a skeleton that can be dated and reconstructed, or the living breathing beast in the flesh.

kolob10

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Beautiful Southern Indiana
    I have been in the field from coast to coast over the years. Spent weeks alone in the high country and woods. The only one I have seen is when I took my boots off before crawling into the tent.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    First let me apologize in advance for the playful pranking of a 16-23 year old.

During high school I worked as a lifeguard at the local state park. Having access to the art department and the wood shop plus a copier and a projector we successfully made BIG FEET right and left. For the next several years muddy trails in the state park were tracked with BIG FEET. Senior year a smaller set was produced. So we had momma and daughter BIG FEET. These feet did travel the state and went on vacations with several people in several states. This started in 1980 and ended when the feet were lost during a greatful dead concert in 1987 in Ohio. Reports in the state park were rampant and I do not think they ever saw us doing the prints.

So if you were one of the Mounds state park visitors who were pranked with BIG FEET please forgive us. We also took a garden gnome for photos all over the place and then sent him home to the owner in a suitcase with pictures and stickers of his travels.

Top Bottom