• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    Found in Owen county. Neighbor said after he killed it, the tail was making crackling sounds. 6 foot long or bigger. Found 50 feet from house and 10 feet from his dog run, and in a pile of branches I was in last night!

Timber rattler?

7098.jpg

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    From what's left in the picture I would have said copperhead, but 6 feet plus is way beyond those. Need a closer picture of the head and eyes.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Here is some pics I took of a hog nosed snake at our property in Perry County back in June...A darker pattern than the snake here...I am like leadeye and alpo...I was thinking copperhead but Kirk may be right...I know they have different color phases....If you look at what's left of the jaw in the op's pic and the whiteness of it and look at the lower pic here I would say Honorable Kirk Freeman is correct in his belief it is a hog nosed snake....

rimg.php

rimg.php

Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport
    Aren't Hog Nose snakes known for being able to imitate a Rattle snake? Clear down to the actual rattling sound? I believe it is a defense mechanism they posses along with the ability to flatten their heads like a Cobra. If these mechanisms fail they then resort to playing dead I believe?

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    Evidently the neighbor isn't gonna send me a better head pic like I requested minutes after he wacked it with the rake. He immediately disposed of it....he's got 3 tiny kids so I don't blame him.

I'm starting to think milk snake or bull snake after looking at numerous Google images.

Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    Aren't Hog Nose snakes known for being able to imitate a Rattle snake? Clear down to the actual rattling sound? I believe it is a defense mechanism they posses along with the ability to flatten their heads like a Cobra. If these mechanisms fail they then resort to playing dead I believe?

Yes, and one last defensive mechanism they use, is that if you pick them up, they flail their tail everywhere while peeing on everything - it is dusgusting, but effective

AtTheMurph

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    View attachment 60211

How about this little one on my driveway last week. It was small, maybe total of 16in long, maybe only 12 inches. It was an aggressive little SOB but I left him alone and he went about his way. Can't figure out what exactly it is.

Top Bottom