• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Backpacker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Greenwood
    I have read the small game section of the IN DNR regs and did not find answers to these questions;

1) Is there a limit to the quantity of rounds of ammunition I can carry while hunting? Thinking 15 rounds of 22lr
    2) Can I carry two different weapons to hunt with? IE 22 lr pistol and 22lr rifle

What are the answers and where can I read them? Thanks

Last edited:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    If I'm not mistaken the only (atrocious) round restrictions while hunting are for deer, while hunting with the new provisional rifle calibers.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    individual properties might have some restrictions, but on private land the law does not limit ammo or # of guns.. you can even have 2 types when deer hunting.. a deer gun, & a small game gun..

AtTheMurph

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    I am not too sure about the two gun advice given above. If you are deer hunting and have both a deer rifle/shotgun and a small game gun you may be deemed to be hunting deer with a gun not approved.

I wouldn't do that. If you are hunting other types of game that don't have gun restrictions then have at it. Only issue I am aware of is if you are migratory waterfowl hunting you had better only have steel shot with you. No lead under any circumstances.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    I am not too sure about the two gun advice given above. If you are deer hunting and have both a deer rifle/shotgun and a small game gun you may be deemed to be hunting deer with a gun not approved.

I wouldn't do that. If you are hunting other types of game that don't have gun restrictions then have at it. Only issue I am aware of is if you are migratory waterfowl hunting you had better only have steel shot with you. No lead under any circumstances.

later this week I will dig up the written reply from the DNR about deer hunting with a second gun.. Like you said above only water fowl prohibits the possession of certain items.. for taking deer with not allowed equipment you have to actually have used it.. not just have it.. & non private property may have additional restrictions on equipment.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural

later this week I will dig up the written reply from the DNR about deer hunting with a second gun...
    ... for taking deer with not allowed equipment you have to actually have used it.. not just have it.. & non private property may have additional restrictions on equipment.

:popcorn:

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    If I recall correctly, in addition to migratory birds requiring the use of steel shot only (and don't even have lead in possession), if you are hunting upland birds your shotgun is limited to a maximum 3 rounds. If you are hunting rabbit, squirrel you can carry both a long gun and handgun. And there is no limit to how much ammo you carry.

bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    My understanding is for small furry game anything goes...you want to hunt them with an AK and Evo pistol then go for it! 50 BMG for tree rats? "Knock yourself out!"

It changes with deer and feathers.

Deer you are allowed one legal hunting gun (Pistol,or rifle) but must be a legal round. On the flip side you are allowed a pistol of any caliber. You are not allowed lets say a .44mag rifle for the deer and a .22lr rifle for squirrels because that is not a legal deer round and it is not a pistol for personal protection. So if you are wanting to go deer hunting and shoot squirrels you have a few options. #1 shoot them with your legal deer round. #2 shoot them with your personal protection firearm. #3 Carry a .22lr pistol for "Personal protection" and use it for the squirrels.

But to go back to your original question. There is no limit to the amount of ammo you take out for squirrel. I usually just drop a 50 round box in the pocket to make clean up easier than loose rounds. As for number of guns....grab a wheel barrel load all of them from the safe and you are still legal....and yes I have taken squirrels with 7.62X39 while out in the woods. Yes there was a nice tree/backstop behind them and no I did not blow them into a pile of meet and fur. FMJ rounds punch one nice clean hole through the size of a pencil actually less damage than a poor placed .22lr.

bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    Coyote deer hunting | HUNTING INDIANA
    "Can I carry a rifle with me while bow hunting deer to kill coyotes?"

Not sure I agree with the answer to this post! I think that this is another "Gray" area that is up to individual C.O. to decide how they want to handle it.

One example....we were hunting in Ohio county during firearm season, got stopped on our way home at a DNR checkpoint. Both deer in the truck were taken with black powder guns and the guns were in the backseat of the truck. Along with the black powder was a Mauser 96 in 6.5X55. The C.O. decided that it was time to pull us out of line, get us out of the vehicle and proceed with the 20 questions about what we took the deer with and why we had the Mauser.

If they found you in a tree stand during archery season with a bow and a .223 or 6.5X55 or any other H.P. rifle I have no doubt the outcome would have been much worst than the 20 questions and have a nice day. I think if they wanted to they could push the "Intent" side and still haul you in! If you had a pistol on you I think they would have a hard time pushing that through the system but a H.P. rifle might raise enough suspicion to run it through the court system.

GoBoilers!

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Sep 2, 2008
    And just to add to the confusion...
    I had a CO tell me that the 10 round ammo limit for my deer gun was "per gun." I specifically asked "What if I am carrying both my .357 revolver and my .357 lever action? Do I need to limit it to 5 rounds each?" He said, in this case, it would be 10 rounds per gun, so I could top off both to their capacity (6 in the revolver and 9 in the carbine) and be legal. I have not seen this in print anywhere, only just from the CO, so take it for what that is worth.
    ----
    GB!

bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    And just to add to the confusion...
    I had a CO tell me that the 10 round ammo limit for my deer gun was "per gun." I specifically asked "What if I am carrying both my .357 revolver and my .357 lever action? Do I need to limit it to 5 rounds each?" He said, in this case, it would be 10 rounds per gun, so I could top off both to their capacity (6 in the revolver and 9 in the carbine) and be legal. I have not seen this in print anywhere, only just from the CO, so take it for what that is worth.
    ----
    GB!

It was my understanding that the 10 round limit only applied to H.P. rifle? As for "standard" legal rounds there was no limit.....so not sure your C.O. was right?

I think under the current regs you could have as many .357 as you could carry?

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    My understanding is for small furry game anything goes...you want to hunt them with an AK and Evo pistol then go for it! 50 BMG for tree rats? "Knock yourself out!"

It changes with deer and feathers.

Deer you are allowed one legal hunting gun (Pistol,or rifle) but must be a legal round. On the flip side you are allowed a pistol of any caliber. You are not allowed lets say a .44mag rifle for the deer and a .22lr rifle for squirrels because that is not a legal deer round and it is not a pistol for personal protection. So if you are wanting to go deer hunting and shoot squirrels you have a few options. #1 shoot them with your legal deer round. #2 shoot them with your personal protection firearm. #3 Carry a .22lr pistol for "Personal protection" and use it for the squirrels.

But to go back to your original question. There is no limit to the amount of ammo you take out for squirrel. I usually just drop a 50 round box in the pocket to make clean up easier than loose rounds. As for number of guns....grab a wheel barrel load all of them from the safe and you are still legal....and yes I have taken squirrels with 7.62X39 while out in the woods. Yes there was a nice tree/backstop behind them and no I did not blow them into a pile of meet and fur. FMJ rounds punch one nice clean hole through the size of a pencil actually less damage than a poor placed .22lr.

Are you serious? I can't have a .22lr with me for personal protection? Deer hunting this year I'm planning on carrying a suppressed 14" Contender as my PPW. Protect my nuts from the squirrels.:rolleyes:

bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    Are you serious? I can't have a .22lr with me for personal protection? Deer hunting this year I'm planning on carrying a suppressed 14" Contender as my PPW. Protect my nuts from the squirrels.:rolleyes:

Pistol yes. Rifle no.....that is my understanding....but like discussed I don't think anyone "KNOWS" the rules....just 50 Shades of Gray!

junk

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 25, 2016
    state of confusion
    intent ? you can be in the woods with what ever you want . its only a crime if you use the wrong gun . I carry a suppressed 22 lr. for squirrels while deer hunting . no one said you can only hunt deer during deer season . squirrels are legal to shoot .

AtTheMurph

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    Not sure I agree with the answer to this post! I think that this is another "Gray" area that is up to individual C.O. to decide how they want to handle it.

One example....we were hunting in Ohio county during firearm season, got stopped on our way home at a DNR checkpoint. Both deer in the truck were taken with black powder guns and the guns were in the backseat of the truck. Along with the black powder was a Mauser 96 in 6.5X55. The C.O. decided that it was time to pull us out of line, get us out of the vehicle and proceed with the 20 questions about what we took the deer with and why we had the Mauser.

If they found you in a tree stand during archery season with a bow and a .223 or 6.5X55 or any other H.P. rifle I have no doubt the outcome would have been much worst than the 20 questions and have a nice day. I think if they wanted to they could push the "Intent" side and still haul you in! If you had a pistol on you I think they would have a hard time pushing that through the system but a H.P. rifle might raise enough suspicion to run it through the court system.

Exactly. Hunting is not defined as shooting, but in pursuing game. If I pursue game don't actually shoot, I am still hunting. While hunting with and in possession of a illegal weapon, I sure would expect to get some fine treatment!

AtTheMurph

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    intent ? you can be in the woods with what ever you want . its only a crime if you use the wrong gun . I carry a suppressed 22 lr. for squirrels while deer hunting . no one said you can only hunt deer during deer season . squirrels are legal to shoot .

May never be an issue for you until it is an issue for you then you have an issue! lol.

Or tell it to the judge. I don't ever want to tell the judge anything because I don't know the judge and have no idea if his interpretation of the statute is the same as mine.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    If I'm not shooting at game, how is it to be determined that I am or am not walking in the woods legally with any gun/ammunition I choose?

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    I don't think even the CO's know the rules many times.

I had my marlin 44 mag with me last year. Stopped walking out of woods (he drove down the field to me) show tag and caliber of weapon. Next he had me unload and count the rounds of 44 mag. I did and then pointed out that even though I had eight rounds was I not legal to have as many PCR rounds with me as I wanted. His answer was "good question".

Top Bottom