Two different colored Doe. Winter coat & Summer coat?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Restroyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    SE Indiana
    Hopefully the picture attached can be viewed. It's a still shot from a video one of my trail cameras this weekend. The doe on the left has a dark grey coat which I believe is it's full winter coat. The doe on the right still has her chestnut brown summer coat. Typically it seems that the gray winter coats come later and is more gradual. Does anyone find this weird especially since it's this early in season and because one doe is all gray and the other still chestnut brown?
    One Doe with winter coat 9-10-17.JPG

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    The other one is starting the changeover also if you look close. Imo it's normal. They don't all change in the same day. Timing wise, it's about right given this years earlier fall

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    We've had a couple that started changing late July. I know at least down here they started very early, usually mid September before it becomes noticeable. By now almost all ours are completely grey, also seems like they're really putting on the weight. Here's couple pics of a little spike where you can see he's starting the process.
    er2liyY.jpg

CwVaBG2.jpg

Top Bottom