• ...and so much more!
  • Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    152   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    So this is my second hunting season. So far, I've taken many squirrels. This is the year I get serious about deer. There is a 10 acre farm I'll be hunting in Frankton with crossbow the first three days of archery, I hope to post up a picture October 1st! I was out there a couple nights ago setting up a trail camera. I spent 30 minutes in the woods, no scent control and wearing jeans (just setting up trail cam). I sat with my .22 looking for squirrel in the 30 minutes I had available on a stump next to the tree stand. Fifteen minutes in, I hear a stick crack and turn around. I see a beautiful doe not 20 yards from me walking through the brush!! She walked a bit further and disappeared (I was down hill and she was on a ridge). I got a quick video of her moving with my cell phone and decided I'd stalk a bit, maybe get a good picture. I stood up and instantly looked up to see her trotting toward me (I thought she had walked on)!! I knew she hadn't spotted me when we were about 10 yards from one another and she look me in the eyes, spooked and booked it the other way. That was a neat experience and I look forward to everything I'll be seeing in October. I'm crossing my fingers I'm on a hotspot with low hunting pressure based on my 30-minute experience!!

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Awesome. I have a little 13 acre parcel i hunt. In the 3 weeks ive had my trail cam up have had over 230 pics. I know ive got at least 3 different bucks, several does and have seen a few fawns too. Looking forward to getting a jump this Friday since my little hunting area is in the reduction zone, I can start on the 15th. Happy hunting and i hope ya get at least 1!

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Heres 1 pic of a couple on my cam. Doe and Buck combo.
    2up33iv.jpg

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    Not for hunting, my sister has several deer that come in to her backyard frequently. She said the other day a fawn had been running around in the backyard, Mom was standing at the edge of the yard watching. My sis turned around to do something and when she turned back, the fawn was on the back porch looking in the window. She wasn't able to get a picture as it happened to fast. Her movement inside spooked it off.

Goodcat

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    152   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    Not for hunting, my sister has several deer that come in to her backyard frequently. She said the other day a fawn had been running around in the backyard, Mom was standing at the edge of the yard watching. My sis turned around to do something and when she turned back, the fawn was on the back porch looking in the window. She wasn't able to get a picture as it happened to fast. Her movement inside spooked it off.

It's amazing how deer act late firearm season, vs. before seasons begin. On that note, in low hunting pressure farm areas vs. public hunting lands.

Restroyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    SE Indiana
    It's amazing how deer act late firearm season, vs. before seasons begin. On that note, in low hunting pressure farm areas vs. public hunting lands.

Deer in public lands are used to more people especially if it's a state park (hikers, etc.). Deer in low hunting pressure farm areas see less people and in my experiences get spooked easier than the public land deer. The hunter's scent is key. Public land deer (state parks) tend to be more accustomed to human scent. Deer on farmland with less year round human foot traffic tend to be more skittish of our scent. Scent control is a huge factor when hunting.

Goodcat

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    152   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    Deer in public lands are used to more people especially if it's a state park (hikers, etc.). Deer in low hunting pressure farm areas see less people and in my experiences get spooked easier than the public land deer. The hunter's scent is key. Public land deer (state parks) tend to be more accustomed to human scent. Deer on farmland with less year round human foot traffic tend to be more skittish of our scent. Scent control is a huge factor when hunting.

That's what I've come to understand, which is why I was confused at this encounter wearing jeans, using a thermocell on the ground and not having showered for two days!

Restroyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    SE Indiana
    That's what I've come to understand, which is why I was confused at this encounter wearing jeans, using a thermocell on the ground and not having showered for two days!

How is that thermocell working by the way? I have been thinking of getting one.

Goodcat

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    152   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    Well, very few skeeters out, but I can say I got zero bites. Last time a month ago, I got 80 without. No joke! Not sure if they all died off or if this things is that good.

Top Bottom