• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Richwon4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2011
    Northern IN
    Okay Guys...what are you seeing on your oak trees, and where abouts are you located in the state, are the deer hitting them yet? Let's help each other out.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Okay Guys...what are you seeing on your oak trees, and where abouts are you located in the state, are the deer hitting them yet? Let's help each other out.

I'm sure if you find a white oak that's dropping them the deer will be there. Not seeing a lot of mast on the ground yet around Beanblossom. First frost will really get things going.

Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    Forget the deer eating the acorns, I am waiting for the acorns to fall so I can make some delicious acorn bread with hickory nuts in it.

Last edited:

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    I filled up a 40 quart cooler full of acorns over the last few days. You need a hard hat to walk in my backyard, and its all from 1 oak.

Restroyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    SE Indiana
    In SE Indiana a lot of our acorns are on the ground already. It's been a different weather pattern than normal here. Lots of rain and grass has needed cut every 5 to 7 days and still lush green. Leaves are hanging on longer than typical (still all green) but most of the hickory nuts and walnuts have fallen and a lot of the acorns. Makes me wonder about early fall but the next week is supposed to be in the 80's again? :dunno:

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    i have 50 acres of white oaks and acorns are everywhere.......my corn feeder isn't seeing the action it was seeing.....

bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    I have been seeing a lot of them and a lot of cut ones the squirrels have been enjoying. My pear tree is starting to drop a grocery bag a day on the yard. I just gather them up and run them out to the new property for the deer to enjoy. I also love messing with the drunk bees that are eating the fermented pears! It is hilarious watching them try to fly and after they crash a few times they just walk off....LOL

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    Lots of acorns still in the trees here in NE IN. There were NO acorns ANYWHERE up here last fall. The burr oak acorns are giant this year. No sign of deer getting any yet.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    I'm in the far south. Acorns don't look real good here in the yard, haven't been out in the woods to check. Squirrels must be hitting them and the hickories because I don't see many of them at the bird feeders.

Richwon4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2011
    Northern IN
    Acorns on the Ground

I frequent Potato Creek in St. Joe County and the acorns are dropping in good number. The Red in our back yard that rarely produces a good crop is doing some good this year.

buckwacker

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 23, 2012
    Burr oaks were loaded and falling heavily. White oaks that were loaded last year don't seem to have produced much this year or haven't started to fall yet. Reds/blacks are so so. Hancock county.

Restroyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    SE Indiana
    Acorns are heavy on the ground here in SE. It's been a good year for Hickory nuts and looks like the squirrels been hitting them hard before the acorns. We got about 24 gallons of hickory nuts gathered to crack for us since mid August but very few left on our hickory trees now. Been about 10 straight days of mid- 80 degree temps here and getting ready to head to near 90 degree for the next 5 days more. Our August was much cooler than September. Weird.

Top Bottom