• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • clfergus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southeast Indy
    Getting together a list of items I need for the season and one item I am debating on trying is a Doe Estrus scent for November. Last year I tried some Special Golden Estrus on a wick from a nearby tree and did shoot a nice nice non-typical 10 point. Did the scent have anything to do with it? No clue really.

I have a few people tell me to take a look at the Code Blue scent and and someone else told me to try Hoosier trapper supply lip licker and does estrus.

Has anyone had good success with any other estrus scents? I have killed deer without them but half the fun of hunting is the crap to buy and thinking it improves my odds.

bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    I have never found it made a difference but that is just me. Now when I get into the stand I do place red fox urine on the tree trunk next to me. I think it might help cover any funny smells that may still be on my hunting cloths and feel it has helped with number of deer seen?

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Don't get wrapped around the axle with scents, gadgets, calls, camo, $5/ea slugs, etc. For most people, books and gas cards to/from the woods would make more difference than any combination of the above.

Spend more time in the woods year-round and get the profile of the area worked out. Then you need to put yourself in a good location for that day's wind conditions (it takes more than one in a woods), and learn to stay the F still. That, or learn how to stalk and still hunt, but I'll tell you firsthand that still hunting and spot-and-stalk are the "long game" approach to success, especially if you are a beginner. Bringing yourself to the deer is not easy.

The final requirement is the keystone to the thing, and that actually the one that needs the most preparation BEFOREhand: shooting. You must be able to hit the shot on demand, in any weather condition, at any level of exertion or fatigue. Because you usually only get ONE chance to punch that ~6" ticket, you need to be ready to put copper-on-meat in 2 seconds or less by having practiced for months and years in advance. For me, the practicing became a lifestyle, and while that's not 100% positive, it does have it's utilities.

It sounds simple here on the internet, but damn a lot of guys screw it up.

-Nate

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Doe scents like Tinks are about a 50/50 for me. They can help bring in a buck that's alone and out looking, but the same scent makes does recoil so if one is trailing that doe you may miss getting an easy shot.

sugarcreekbrass

Expert
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 29, 2015
    West central
    I can't say that I have had deer come in to a scent. I do think scents can help as a cover scent, granted that you take other scent control measures. I also think scent wicks in shooting lanes can stop or slow a deer enough for a shot. It's not a guarantee though. Regardless, I don't believe in them enough to say it is a must have item while hunting.

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    I never use scent. Back in the 80's I tried a few and had bad results. Deer would come in and become alert to the scent and get skittish. I even had a few "blow" due to the scent.....never used scent again. I think it's more important for you and your equipment to be scent free and use the wind when you can. Also, do your homework....know the lay of the land that you are hunting. Know your food sources, and when the food sources change throughout the season. Know the bedding areas, and know the travel and funnel areas. I'm sure that scent works for some hunters when used correctly, but it's just not for me. :twocents:

Note: I have been known to use a cover scent, but have not for the last 10 years. When I was using a cover scent I used coon urine over fox urine, simply because I know just about every woods in Indiana will have some coon. If you have a high population of coyotes in your area, the chances of fox being present is less likely.

Last edited:

Restroyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    SE Indiana
    Personally I don't use scents because I feel that I am a good enough hunter that I don't need them and personally I feel like I am cheating the hunt. I do use calls though and a rattle bag because I feel those require some skill / practice since you have to make the right call at the right time. That's just my 2 cents - not trying to offend anyone who does use scents, just not my thing.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I took a shot of Code Blue before heading to my stand every day I hunted last year. I'm here to tell ya, that stuff tastes like **** and I don't think it made a dang bit of difference. It's snake oil!!

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    :laugh:
    Just cuz it's in an airplane bottle doesn't mean it needs drank :)

I wish someone had told me that before. My neck got all swoled up, my top lip curled back on me and every time a doe came into view I started gruntin uncontrollably. Pert near ruined my whole season.

clfergus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southeast Indy
    I guess I should have worded this thread slightly different when I started it. Not sure how my original question "Has anyone had good success with any other estrus scents?" has turned into hunting tutorials about the proper ways to hunt and advising me to spend more time in the woods and learn how to shoot better.

If you have used a scent and had success let me know. Just an area of hunting that I have never explored in the many years I have hunted so I am interested.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Kidding aside, we have tried many of the scents available, made mock scrapes, used scent drippers and hung he little tree tampons out and we've never seen any success with them. We do use Evercalm on our boots when we walk to our stands and we've had deer follow our path into the area on a few different occasions even though it is not advertised as an attractant. We leave the lid off and the container on the ground at the base of the tree when we climb up, forgot it one evening two years ago and got trail cam pics of a doe eating it lol.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Not sure how my original question...has turned into hunting tutorials about the proper ways to hunt and advising me to spend more time in the woods and learn how to shoot better.

If that's directed at me, my apologies. That apology having been made, it does not mean my statements are false and YOU are not my only target audience.

In my experience, the many commercial "der scents" are meant to collect hunters, not deer. My approach, over a couple decades of moderate success, eventually became "NO scent is better than any Scent."

Only thing I ever use now is the apple I eat on the way in, although I will say that cow **** works pretty well too, and if you can find some deer **** to step in with your boots, that may help.

But there's no scent control or scent gamesmanship that can ever trump just playing the wind right in the first place.

-Nate

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    I took a shot of Code Blue before heading to my stand every day I hunted last year. I'm here to tell ya, that stuff tastes like **** and I don't think it made a dang bit of difference. It's snake oil!!

I just about spit ma sweet tay on the keys! :laugh:

-Nate

clfergus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southeast Indy
    If that's directed at me, my apologies. That apology having been made, it does not mean my statements are false and YOU are not my only target audience.

In my experience, the many commercial "der scents" are meant to collect hunters, not deer. My approach, over a couple decades of moderate success, eventually became "NO scent is better than any Scent."

Only thing I ever use now is the apple I eat on the way in, although I will say that cow **** works pretty well too, and if you can find some deer **** to step in with your boots, that may help.

But there's no scent control or scent gamesmanship that can ever trump just playing the wind right in the first place.

-Nate

Nope, not directed at anyone directly. Just trying to hear of any success stories because I am also skeptical and wondering if maybe some see real success. From the replies I guess I have my answer though.

clfergus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southeast Indy
    Kidding aside, we have tried many of the scents available, made mock scrapes, used scent drippers and hung he little tree tampons out and we've never seen any success with them. We do use Evercalm on our boots when we walk to our stands and we've had deer follow our path into the area on a few different occasions even though it is not advertised as an attractant. We leave the lid off and the container on the ground at the base of the tree when we climb up, forgot it one evening two years ago and got trail cam pics of a doe eating it lol.

Is this what you used? You just smear the deodorant looking stick on your boots?

https://www.amazon.com/Conquest-Sce...505762188&sr=8-1&keywords=evercalm+deer+scent

Top Bottom