Media release from the DNR:

DNR NEWS
    Division of Law Enforcement

Indiana Department of Natural Resources
    402 W. Washington St
    Indianapolis, IN 46204-2748

For immediate release: September 26, 2017

Brownsburg Taxidermist arrested for Corrupt Business Practices

Hendricks Co - Indiana Conservation Officers have been investigating Brownsburg Taxidermy located in Brownsburg, IN for the past year and a half. The owner of the business, Kevin McGrotty allegedly collected thousands of dollars from his clients and has guaranteed his clients completed work, but has failed to do the work he has promised. In all, Kevin has collected over four thousand dollars from sixteen victims that have called in and complained. Mr. McGrotty is being charged with sixteen counts of Theft and one count of Corrupt Business Practices (Level 5 Felony). Mr. McGrotty’s taxidermist license has been revoked as a result of this investigation.

On Sept 26 Indiana Conservation Officers and Hendricks County Sheriff’s detectives served arrest and search warrants on Mr. McGrotty and his Taxidermy business. Officers seized hides, mounts and antlers of customers that had paid Mr. McGrotty to complete taxidermy work on, but had never received their completed work.

Mr. McGrotty still has several hundred other hides, specimens and antlers he has yet to complete the taxidermy work on. The involved agencies are asking for the patience of those individuals who still have property at Brownsburg Taxidermy. All of the articles in the shop will need to be inventoried and recorded. Customers will be notified when they will be able to recover their property.

“The charges filed against Mr. McGrotty are merely allegations. Under the Constitution of Indiana and the United States Mr. McGrotty is innocent of these allegations and will remain so unless or until they are proven beyond a reasonable doubt in court of law.”

-30-
    Media contact: Angela Goldman, DNR Law Enforcement, 812-320-9839

Vamptepes

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 20, 2013
    Eagledale
    I got the email from the reporter earlier and was so happy he got busted finally. I'm glad you guys got something done. I've been trying since 2012 and last year after talking with you (or this year. I've had way to much crap happen this year) I was given the runaround with the Danville courthouse and just lost faith in anything ever happening.

Squirt239

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    North of Brownsburg
    I got the email from the reporter earlier and was so happy he got busted finally. I'm glad you guys got something done. I've been trying since 2012 and last year after talking with you (or this year. I've had way to much crap happen this year) I was given the runaround with the Danville courthouse and just lost faith in anything ever happening.

The prosecutor actually contacted many people that complained and got statements from them. I took a look at mycase this morning and it looks like he is booked on felony business fraud and several counts of theft. His court date is set for 11/28.

You know, in all honesty, it's a damn shame. I've seen some of the work he has done in the past...even own some of it...and he DOES do good work. When he does it. I'm not one to speculate, nor cast judgement, but this one...this one is hard not too when you get screwed out of money that you know you'll never see again.

Vamptepes

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 20, 2013
    Eagledale
    My dad had work done by and him and my uncle used to be friends with him. Only reason I went there. But when he started giving a bunch of bs excuses and tried to file for bankruptcy last month or so is when I knew he was at the end of the road. I hope he gets what he deserves.

Also after my bad experience i warned people anytime taxidermy popped up. It's a shame that he used to get tons of business from premier, but I believe be burned his bridge with them when he was still working behind their building. I don't blame them for recommending people back then because none of us knew.

cordex

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 24, 2008
    A friend and I dropped off a hide and a shoulder mount in November of 2010. I'm sure the hide is long gone, but it would be nice to at least get the skull back. We both still have our claim tickets, which is something.

rem788

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2009
    indy west
    A friend had a buck mounted by this guy several years ago. Looked nice, so when my son shot a nice 10 pointer in 2014 we took it to this guy. Same story except this guy called my son in march and says if he pays in full he will have his mount done by May. I don't think this guy ever intended to finish the mount, just get the money. We could never get in touch with the guy, even when we stopped at the house. My son, like others still has his claim ticket and hopes to get the skull back if nothing else.

rem788

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2009
    indy west
    My son got an e mail from the DNR. There are three dates you can go to the guys house north of Brownsburg and pick up your item. You will need the claim ticket and ID according to the e mail. The first date is October 25th from 2 pm to 9 pm I believe. Check with the DNR for the additional dates and exact times. Good luck to all reclaiming your trophies.

Vamptepes

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 20, 2013
    Eagledale
    Brownsburg Taxidermist ordered to return property of customers

Hendricks Co - Indiana Conservation Officers are investigating Kevin McGrotty, the owner of Brownsburg Taxidermy located in Brownsburg, IN. On September 26 search and arrest warrants were served on McGrotty and his business. McGrotty was jailed and charged with Corrupt Business Practice and multiple counts of Theft.

The court has now ordered McGrotty to return property to customers still in the possession of Brownsburg Taxidermy. In order to facilitate these returns in an orderly fashion and provide the proper documentation for the court, Indiana Conservation Officers will be assisting in the exchange.

All customers of Brownsburg Taxidermy that wish to get their property back may attend one of the three dates set up for this exchange. Customers will need to bring any receipts, cancelled checks or other items that may show ownership of an item, as well as some form of identification. If the owner of an item cannot make one of these dates, it will be acceptable to send a representative with the proper documentation.

The dates that customers will be able to retrieve their items from Brownsburg Taxidermy (9630 N State Road 267, Brownsburg) are as follows:

Wed. October 25 2:00 PM to 9:00 PM
    Sun. October 29 10:00 AM to 6:00 PM
    Thur. November 2 2:00 PM to 9:00 PM

I wish he would be there so we could all slug him as we collect or stuff.

rem788

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2009
    indy west
    We went there the first day and got in line early. We were about the 8th person in line. Started at 2 pm, my son got his antlers and cape back at 3:08 pm. Very slow operation at the start. My son is out the entire amount, no one in line we talked to expected to get any money back. Blood from a turnip situation. My son was just glad to get his antlers and cape back. I know some did not get their capes back, one person was told his antlers were stolen but were being returned. We didn't get details about how his antlers were stolen but did overhear the DNR officer tell him they were being returned. The photo he had looked like a very nice rack, hope he gets them back. One woman was there to recover her son's elk rack. He was deployed in the service. Luckily, she got his rack and cape, although he is out $600 deposit according to her. When we left there were probably 40 or 50 people standing in line and it was only a little after 3.

Vamptepes

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 20, 2013
    Eagledale
    The first day when I showed up it was a 3 hour wait. I went Sunday and was there for maybe 15minutes to get my stuff. Out the money and never got my cape. He's had my stuff since 12/11/12 so it doesn't surprise me. It had only been skull capped. Not even cleaned so I'll be doing the rest of the work myself.

Top Bottom