• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I rented a class C RV for the weekend. Anyone have good ideas for kid friendly campfire meals? I have a sandwich maker, and An iron skillet. Plus hotdog sticks of course.

There will probably be a cooking great over the fire pit.

saintnick81

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    Bedford
    Hobo Dinners. Burger patties, sliced potatoes, carrots, onion, and whatever else you want to throw in. Wrap them in foil and throw them in the coals. Was always my favorite part of camping when I was a kid. It was fun to make them and we could customize them with just the stuff we liked. Still make them on the grill every now and then.

jagee

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    Hobo meals - prep them at home, though.

Meat, veggies, potatoes all cut up and put in a foil packet with some oil and seasonings. Throw the packet on the coals of your fire. Done.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    We just did a little camping. Made Texas Hash. Nice one pot meal that you can prep a little at home. I premeasured rice and whatnot and had it ready to go in ziplocks.

If you are set up for electric a croc pot is awesome. You can go out hiking or fishing and come back to a nice pot of sloppy joes or chilli. Used to bring my electric smoker. Talk about some good eating.

Leftovers can dump into a ziplock and be tossed into the cooler.

Catch some fish and fry them up.

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    if you do the foil dinners, or hobo meals, add a couple of tablespoons of rice, or more. The rice will soak up some of the grease etc produced while cooking and make for a more enjoyable meal.

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    Omelettes in a bag. Cook your sausage or bacon, then put it in a Ziploc bag. Crack a few eggs in there, then a little milk (if you want) and whatever else--green peppers, mushrooms, etc. Put the bags into a pot of water boiling over the campfire.

We cook bacon on hot dog forks (or sometimes just sticks).

Anything that can be done in one pan (Hamburger Helper, for instance) is just as easy to do over a fire as on a stove, but for some reason it's much more satisfying.

Taco meat is easy.

We do pizza in the pie iron sandwich makers. Bread like you're doing grilled cheese, just with pizza toppings instead.

My wife's family loves "brown bears," which are super easy. Biscuit dough from a tube can be carefully cooked on a hot dog fork. After cooking, wipe it with melted butter, then sprinkle with brown sugar or cinnamon & sugar.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    If you put a pan on a campfire, put dish soap on the OUTSIDE of the pan.
    This will make it so you can clean the pan's outside.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    An easy meal.

Cook a flavored rice, such as chicken flavored.
    Add chicken chunks.

Easier to use canned chicken.
    But if you want fresh, cook the chicken 1st, then dice, then add to rice.

Cook rice and chicken together.

Same works for steak and beef flavored rice.

eric001

Vaguely well-known member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Indianapolis
    We used to "cheat" when I was a kid and do the hobo dinners in a foil pan on the grate. When just about done, we'd cut up a block of cheese and let it melt through from the top down.

Also, ears of corn IN THE HUSK work wonderfully if you just dip them in water and put the whole thing on the grate... turn occasionally and as soon as they look burned, the corn will be hot, ready, and with a slightly smoky flavor already in it.

Let's not forget the ultimate classic: hot dogs over the fire... and if you've got some good small branches around, most especially sassafras, you can cut them, clean 'em, and use 'em to roast marshmallows over the fire as well.

If using a skillet on the grate, why not pancakes & bacon/sausage?? Breakfast is always good if done over a fire!

dnurk

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 20, 2012
    Boone County
    Hobo packs are awesome but let the kids prep their own. That's part of the experience. Have a bunch of different stuff...ground beef, veggies, ham/pineapple/sweet potatoes, let them get creative.

Another one one of my favorites is walking tacos. Brown up some ground beef or turkey, dump in taco seasoning (can be done ahead or at camp). Get he small individual size bags of Fritos and different toppings like shredded cheese, sour cream, salsa, peppers...whatever you all like. Put taco meat in Fritos bag and top. Walk or sit around the fire and eat w a spoon. Kids always enjoy.

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    On the Hobo design, slice up a pound of smoked sausage, a few potatoes, add peppers and onions, and butter. I use a garlic and herb marinade, wrap in foil, cook until the taters are done.

we buy frozen peppers and onions, and frozen diced taters. It makes it even easier. I'm old and lazy!

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    On the Hobo design, slice up a pound of smoked sausage, a few potatoes, add peppers and onions, and butter. I use a garlic and herb marinade, wrap in foil, cook until the taters are done.

I need to try making this.

Restroyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    SE Indiana
    Hobo dinners have been covered very well here so I'll throw out a change up: Take some oranges, cut in half, scoop out the orange fruit leaving the peel in 2 halves (eat the orange fruit, use for juice or discard it), take muffin mix (blue berry, poppyseed, cranberry, etc.) that only requires water to mix (like Jiffy brand, or Betty Crocker pouch mix), mix the muffin batter and scoop it into the orange peel halves almost to the top, wrap the halves separately in tin foil, place foil orange halves in fire with the batter side up, cook 5-10 minutes, carefully remove from fire, remove foil from orange peel half, you a got a muffin in a cup with a nice citrus smokey flavor. 3 oranges (6 halves) typically equal one muffin mix.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    My favorite from growing up was camp stroganoff. Brown ground beef in a pan. boil egg noodles while that is cooking.

Drain the beef, then add a can of cream of mushroom soup and a half can of milk or water. Serve over the egg noodles. I've also had it all dumped into one pot as well.

Top Bottom