• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    A few months ago I posted a thread about seeing a Couger on a friends farm while I was hunting for Indian artifacts. This is a farm located in southern Indiana near the white river. Well, it turns out that his neighbor had spotted a couger with two cubs too. Now, my friend says that he received a surprise visit from the USDA. They claimed that in the last six months they have killed over 5% of the entire states wild pig populaion on another adjacent farm. They claim that a large group of pigs is likely living on his farm. They want to put cameras, sensors, and traps all over his property to look for & catch wild pigs, and they were very insistent. They even want to fly over his property with a helicopter using thermal imaging. My friend is all for reducing the wild pig threat, but he has never seen any. He has never seen any tracks, and he has not had ANY crop damage that could be attributed to wild pigs. He has never even had one show up on a trail camera. I walk his fields looking for artifacts, and his woods looking for mushrooms, and I have never seen a single track either. He fears that the USDA is REALLY looking for the cougars. At first I told him that he is just being paranoid, but the more I think about it, the more I think he might be right. Do you think he should allow the USDA access to his farm? Do you think they would lie about their true intentions? If he holds his ground (pardon the pun) and refuses them access, do you think they can force him to grant them access?

Nojoy621

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 10, 2016
    Crown point
    I would say no to the cameras and traps, but the flyover would be fine. they can find what they need with a helo and thermals, and for that do they really need his permission? Honest question, Do property lines go vertical?

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Is it common for the USDA to investigate wild life?

Livestock I could see, but wild pigs or cougers seems like it might be a little out of their wheelhouse.

If I was your friend I'd probably be giving DNR a call to find out what, if anything, they know about it.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Does seem fishy given the circumstances. My opinion given that, tell them to pound sand. They are welcome to fly over if they wish because they have that right.

Otherwise, they need a warrant.

Now if you guys could corroborate their ideas with things like sightings, tracks, etc. it would be a differnt matter. But given the circumstances, no. Feel free to look from afar.

EDIT: If they can show proof, I might change my mind. But as the property owner given the lack of evidence, no. Not yet. Show me proof with what you can glean from the air, and then maybe.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Is it common for the USDA to investigate wild life?

Livestock I could see, but wild pigs or cougers seems like it might be a little out of their wheelhouse.

If I was your friend I'd probably be giving DNR a call to find out what, if anything, they know about it.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

And no, I would not allow it. Once in there they can run amok.

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    Does seem fishy given the circumstances. My opinion given that, tell them to pound sand. They are welcome to fly over if they wish because they have that right.

Otherwise, they need a warrant.

Now if you guys could corroborate their ideas with things like sightings, tracks, etc. it would be a differnt matter. But given the circumstances, no. Feel free to look from afar.

EDIT: If they can show proof, I might change my mind. But as the property owner given the lack of evidence, no. Not yet. Show me proof with what you can glean from the air, and then maybe.

Im with this post. Also good forbid they find a suspicious looking "weed" somewhere on the property and then they ransak the whole place to discover two years later it was just a harmless plant.

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    Are you sure they were real?
    Should be white vehicles or was it Bubba in bibs with USDA on the side of his pickup in chalk?

yetti462

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 18, 2016
    Unglaciated heaven
    I told the usda to fly a kite when they asked to fly my place. One of the idiots sent a .308 through my buddies window. The bullet landed on his wife's chest. Keep the usda out of Guthrie twp!!

yetti462

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 18, 2016
    Unglaciated heaven
    Our tax dollars at work, the usda helicopter efforts cost over $300/hr. After 3 days of flying they got 7 pigs. I've said before if they wanted rid of they shoulda been here in 1996 when they were concentrated in two hollers, instead of waiting till now and allowing them to spread onto 3 counties.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Tell them your going rate for hunting/trapping/trespassing your property is $500 p/day, p/person.
    Be sure to make them sign a completely outrageous liability document.
    Tell them they are subject to fines if they trash your property...

Hell no.

Kurr

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2011
    Jefferson County
    Dear USDA:

Thank you for your inquiry regarding accessing our property to survey for the "wild pigs". We may be able to help you out with this matter.

We have divided our 2.26 acres into 75 equal survey units with a draw tag for each unit. Application fees are only $8.00 per unit after you purchase the “Wild Pig Survey License” ($120.00 resident / $180.00 Non-Resident). You will also need to obtain a “Wild Pig Habitat” parking permit ($10.00 per vehicle). You will also need an “Invasive Species” stamp ($15.00 for the first vehicle and $5.00 for each add’l vehicle) You will also want to register at the Check Station to have your vehicle inspected for non-native plant life prior to entering our property. There is also a Day Use fee, $5.00 per vehicle.

If you are successful in the Draw you will be notified two weeks in advance so you can make necessary plans and purchase your “Creek Habitat” stamp. ($18.00 Resident / $140.00 Non-Resident). Survey units open between 8am and 3pm but you cannot commence survey until 9am and must cease all survey activity by 1pm.

Survey Gear can only include a net with a 4ft. diameter made of 100% organic cotton netting with no longer than an 18″ handle, non-weighted and no deeper than 6ft. from net frame to bottom of net. Handles can only be made of BPA-free plastics or wooden handles. After 1pm you can use a net with a 6 ft. diameter if you purchase the “Wild Pig Net Endorsement” ($75.00 Resident / $250 Non-Resident). Any Wild Pig captured that are released will need to be released with an approved release device back into the environment unharmed.

As of June 1, we are offering draw tags for our “Premium Survey” units and application is again only $8.00 per application. However, all fees can be waives if you can verify “Native Indian Tribal rights and status.

You will also need to provide evidence of successful completion of “Wild Pig Surveys and You” comprehensive course on Wild Pig identification, safe handling practices, and self-defense strategies for Wild Pig attacks. This course is offered online through an accredited program for a nominal fee of $750.00.

Please let us know if we can be of assistance to you. Otherwise, we decline your access to our property but appreciate your inquiry.

Sincerely,
    Hkindiana .

:ingo:

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    I know people who own "hunting property" west of Seymour - very near the White River. They've killed hogs on their property. Wild hogs are most definitely in/along/through the White River valley. And spreading.

The USDA may be involved in this in order to help protect the captive/agricultural hogs from potential diseases that wild hogs can carry. Like Trichinella. It's been almost entirely eradicated from the US Domestic pork populations - but not in wild hogs. A reinfection of the domestic populations could prove quite costly.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spencerab23
    Top Bottom