• ...and so much more!
  • dnurk

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 20, 2012
    Boone County
    The two biggest hunt lease companies are hunt lease network and base camp leasing. You can easily find their websites with a quick search.

Hunt leases have become such a big business its very difficult to find a landowner who will lease directly to a client. The aforementioned services are such a boon for landowners and that is why they're successful.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    The two biggest hunt lease companies are hunt lease network and base camp leasing. You can easily find their websites with a quick search.

Hunt leases have become such a big business its very difficult to find a landowner who will lease directly to a client. The aforementioned services are such a boon for landowners and that is why they're successful.

That is subject to debate. My dad tried it once and it came with so many stipulations ranging from the leasing service controlling all wildlife on the farm including pests to a long list of issues not pertaining to hunting that it will be a cold day in Hell that I will sign on for any such thing.

Ckendall13

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 4, 2017
    Greenwood
    That is subject to debate. My dad tried it once and it came with so many stipulations ranging from the leasing service controlling all wildlife on the farm including pests to a long list of issues not pertaining to hunting that it will be a cold day in Hell that I will sign on for any such thing.
    Exactly the reason I prefer not to use them. They don't treat people fairly and are full of control issues

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia

Glad to hear that. The less control they get over hunting ground in Indiana the better. We've been fortunate that they haven't swooped in and stolen our lease out from under us.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I have no familiarity with hunting leases are the two companies being discussed some sort of brokers?

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I have no familiarity with hunting leases are the two companies being discussed some sort of brokers?

If I were a lease company, IndyDave1776 Hunting Leases Ltd. would lease the hunting rights to farm and forest ground from the landowner and then in turn lease said hunting rights out to a finite number of hunters who will have exclusive use of that land for their personal hunting purposes. Part and parcel of this arrangement is that I have the right and responsibility to enforce trespassing issues and my contract with the landowner will generally provide for everything from controlling the hunting of any and all wildlife on the property this side of setting mouse traps in the house and potentially a great many other things. A prohibition against having a travel trailer on the property comes to mind as one of the more intrusive terms of the lease my dad had on the farm when he tried it, but it was just one memorable point on a rather long list.

Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    I looked at the prices those two companies are charging for leases, WOW. I wonder what percentage of the fees they are charging goes to the landowner.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I looked at the prices those two companies are charging for leases, WOW. I wonder what percentage of the fees they are charging goes to the landowner.

I can't answer that but can say that whatever it may have been wasn't enough to motivate dad to put up with it once the original lease ran out and he could be extremely flexible when money was involved.

ws6duramax

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    Metamora
    Just out of curiosity, what does property tend to lease for ? Say roughly 300 acres of good hunting ground in Franklin , Dearborn or Ripley county

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    Just out of curiosity, what does property tend to lease for ? Say roughly 300 acres of good hunting ground in Franklin , Dearborn or Ripley county

I imagine the owner could ask just about whatever he wants. I have been knocking on doors for the last 2 years trying to get permission in Decatur and parts of Franklin with zero luck. It was not this hard when I was growing up. Land lease may be the only way to have a steady place to hunt. More and more land is being bought up by individuals a hard no from 4 different people in Decatur county cuts the huntable land by 1/3rd. I'd be very interested in buying into a lease in the area with other conservation minded people who want to properly manage the herd.

Top Bottom