• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PaulWest

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2017
    West
    I live on about 4-5 acres. Tree lines are thick enough to block 90%+ visuals through, either way.

Can I hunt small animals such as squirrels and rabbits in my yard? How much area does one need to be able to shoot/hunt on their own property?

Thank you very much

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2016
    Bloomington
    Dont quote me on this, but i think as long as you are outside of city limits or any other ordinance you can hunt anything right? Theirs no set size your property has to be. Thats what i thought but thatsjust off the top of my head. Someone will be by soon with a more specific answer im sure

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    Depends on where you are .....

Last I knew, inside "old city limits" NO .....

In the "'burbs" MAYBE .....

Neighbors can call police, for noise or disturbance .....

LEO, or lawyer will be along .....

eric001

Vaguely well-known member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Indianapolis
    First, IANAL. As per SSGSAD, outside of the once and former city limits, you should be OK. Should.
    Indy prohibited discharge map.JPG

Second, if you use a bow/crossbow, I seriously doubt the neighbors would even know you were hunting critters.

Third, if you're going to do it at all, I'd suggest making it all nice and legal by getting a hunting license before you do--in person somewhere or at: DNR: Fish & Wildlife Online License System

PaulWest

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2017
    West
    Interesting. Thanks gentlemen. I didnt know one had to be licensed to hunt. Also, what does "any other ordinance" mean? Im on county - not city - land, in the burbs. Well, a burb.

I really should get a bow some day. But Im thinking .22 for now. What are the best informational sources for hunting small game?

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2016
    Bloomington
    Interesting. Thanks gentlemen. I didnt know one had to be licensed to hunt. Also, what does "any other ordinance" mean? Im on county - not city - land, in the burbs. Well, a burb.

I really should get a bow some day. But Im thinking .22 for now. What are the best informational sources for hunting small game?

any other ordinance came to mind because down here their are places outside of city limits in hoosier national that you cant shoot on. Didnt see you were in indy, prolly doesnt pertain to you

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles

NOISE Ord.,

dnurk

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 20, 2012
    Boone County
    I will share this...there is a provision where landowners and their immediate family who FARM their land do not need a license. If you don't farm your land you DO need a license. I own 11 acres in Monroe County but it is all woods. It adjoins state land but I was going to stay within my property line. I specifically asked several COs about this when I bought it and they pointed to Code indicating the land had to be farm-land to avoid the need to purchase a hunting license.

so unless you farm it you need a license.

PaulWest

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2017
    West
    I will share this...there is a provision where landowners and their immediate family who FARM their land do not need a license. If you don't farm your land you DO need a license. I own 11 acres in Monroe County but it is all woods. It adjoins state land but I was going to stay within my property line. I specifically asked several COs about this when I bought it and they pointed to Code indicating the land had to be farm-land to avoid the need to purchase a hunting license.

Interesting, thank you.

I do a fair amount of what I call gardening - though I understand I have a rather large operation compared to most other folks I know. I wonder where the line is drawn between gardening and farming...

dnurk

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 20, 2012
    Boone County
    Interesting, thank you.

I do a fair amount of what I call gardening - though I understand I have a rather large operation compared to most other folks I know. I wonder where the line is drawn between gardening and farming...

i asked them that! I told them I was going to "farm" some large foot plots and asked if that would qualify. All three (separately ) told me it would not. I don't know if they were making it up or not but they indicated the land had to be zoned and taxed as ag farmland. So as with most IC it seems like there is always some grey area.

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    i asked them that! I told them I was going to "farm" some large foot plots and asked if that would qualify. All three (separately ) told me it would not. I don't know if they were making it up or not but they indicated the land had to be zoned and taxed as ag farmland. So as with most IC it seems like there is always some grey area.
    Timber is considered ag land. It does not have to be tillable ground. Dnurk, you can landowner those deer. Just make sure they don't cross property lines or you will need a tag to pursue the critter across your fence. The above comment I made sparked many pages of discussions here on INGO if you search. Including IC refrences but My search fu sucks.

Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills

How many trees does one need to be considered a "tree farmer"?

BigMatt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 22, 2009
    From the DNR website

"Farmland means agricultural land that is devoted or best adaptable to the production of crops, fruits, timber or the raising of livestock, or is assessed as agricultural land for property tax purposes. There is no acreage requirement to qualify for this exemption."

I own a 29 acre hardwood tree farm in Rush County that is in the CRP. If you can do it, I would highly recommend it. It makes it great for taxes and hunting. The only thing you can't do is harvest the trees for a while.

Top Bottom