• ...and so much more!
  • PaulWest

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2017
    West
    Hello,

What are the best resources for rifle hunting for beginners, in general and in this area...Indiana/midwest/North America...not really sure how its...

Hunting seasons, laws, wisdom...like, how would you know which animals to shoot? Too young or sick or...I dont really know, obviously lol. Im sure theres a ton I dont know. Where can I start with credible info/sources?

Thank you very much

PaulWest

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2017
    West
    Thats certainly 1 of the countless specific things I would have asked for - Thanks!

Im not sure exactly whst I have in mind...Im just gonna have to jump in and start somewhere. In my line of work I encounter a lot of, lets say phoneys. From the delusional to all out con artists - sorta like the McDojo in martial arts, if anyone is familiar. So Im hoping maybe someone can point me in the direction of maybe a youtube channel or blog or something, authored by a credible, skilled source, as opposed to some phoney.

PaulWest

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2017
    West
    I know its a broad subject. I was raised in the city and moved out away from it a few years ago. Its time to learn to hunt. Im figuring Ill have to start small - Ive heard rabbits taste good too...so that sounds like a good place to start. Eventually I definitely want to hunt and eat bigger animals.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I know its a broad subject. I was raised in the city and moved out away from it a few years ago. Its time to learn to hunt. Im figuring Ill have to start small - Ive heard rabbits taste good too...so that sounds like a good place to start. Eventually I definitely want to hunt and eat bigger animals.
    If you are going to hunt rabbits, I would start with a shotgun (20g is a good one for rabbits). I would suggest a modified choke. I would go shoot some sporting clays or go to a range where you can throw clay pigeons and shoot a lot. Then get out and look for brushy, thorny areas. I like to wear brush pants and a hunting coat, good boots. Because I walk in the brush and try to kick rabbits out. You can also try squirrel hunting. Just need to find private or public land to hunt on then.

PaulWest

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2017
    West
    If you are going to hunt rabbits, I would start with a shotgun (20g is a good one for rabbits). I would suggest a modified choke. I would go shoot some sporting clays or go to a range where you can throw clay pigeons and shoot a lot. Then get out and look for brushy, thorny areas. I like to wear brush pants and a hunting coat, good boots. Because I walk in the brush and try to kick rabbits out. You can also try squirrel hunting. Just need to find private or public land to hunt on then.

Shotgun, eh? Interesting.

I've been thinking about starting with a .22lr - would you specifically advise against such a rifle in favor of a shotgun? Why/why not?

Restroyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    SE Indiana
    I suggest you take a Hunter Education course. Your question is so broad and wide open it's hard to answer everything in a forum. A Hunter's Education course would allow you to learn the different species to hunt along with the state's regulations and seasons and types of guns (or a bow) that you can hunt with.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    Shotguns are much more forgiving on moving targets. Rabbits generally require a healthy lead, unless your sniping them from a distance. Depends on technique really. If you go out and hope to jump them up then you will likely want a shotgun, if you lay out over looking a meadow a 22 will be just fine.

Depending on your age you may or may not have to complete a hunters education course I think if you were born before 1987 you are fine and after you must take the class? It's a great class and will answer a lot of your questions, worth the weekend if you really want to get started from scratch.

PaulWest

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2017
    West
    I suggest you take a Hunter Education course. Your question is so broad and wide open it's hard to answer everything in a forum. A Hunter's Education course would allow you to learn the different species to hunt along with the state's regulations and seasons and types of guns (or a bow) that you can hunt with.

Sounds like a great idea! I think I'm mostly looking for some credible sources for this kind of thing.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Are you an NRA member?
    If so, which magazine do you receive?

One of the NRA magazines I receive is American Hunter.
    Throughout the year, as the seasons progress, the magazine lays out tips on where, when, how... to find your desired game.
    They give you tips on the newest equipment, new ammo's, ans all by reliable authors in the industry.

There are many decent magazines devoted to hunting.
    You might also consider asking acquaintances about becoming a mentor of sorts.
    Know anyone who squirrel hunts?
    Ask if you can tag along.

For what it's worth, I used to hunt rabbits and squirrels with a Marlin model Glenfield 60.
    This was an 18 round, tubular magazine, .22lr semi-automatic rifle.
    Great little gun.

Anyway, I would kick up a bunny and watch them run. They almost always run a ways and then stop and turn to see where you are. When they stop and pop up their head, BANG.
    I also hunt squirrels in trees with a .22lr rifle, but much care needs to be taken when shooting a rifle skyward.
    I will take a shot ONLY when there is a substantial limb or tree trunk behind my target.
    This is in case of a miss, or complete pass-through.

Just remember, once you pull that trigger, you and you alone are responsible for where that projectile goes, and the damage it does.

If you're close to Lafayette I may be able to help get you started, but after deer season, please!

PaulWest

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2017
    West
    I'm not an NRA member nor do I subscribe to any magazines - though its now on my list of research items.

If any of these articles/authors are online I can and will introduce myself to their work this very evening.

Thank you very much, good sir.

I've wondered about shooting squirrels out of trees...seems like they get down to the ground enough that this might not ever come up...idk...

Here's a fun and interesting bit of info I "have" regarding shooting skyward: I once saw an episode of Mythbusters where they proved that shooting a bullet into the sky and letting it fall would not be fatal - or even cause much damage. I know its TV and all...

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    I'm not an NRA member nor do I subscribe to any magazines - though its now on my list of research items.

If any of these articles/authors are online I can and will introduce myself to their work this very evening.

Thank you very much, good sir.

I've wondered about shooting squirrels out of trees...seems like they get down to the ground enough that this might not ever come up...idk...

Here's a fun and interesting bit of info I "have" regarding shooting skyward: I once saw an episode of Mythbusters where they proved that shooting a bullet into the sky and letting it fall would not be fatal - or even cause much damage. I know its TV and all...

97 percent or more of my squirrel kills have been in the trees. You must choose your caliber properly and know your hunting area, if you have houses in relatively close proximity use a 410 or a 20ga (20 ga can be overkill, but I've taken quite a few with my 870 youth growing up.) If you have more than a couple hundred yards a 22 should be fine. 22lr will take quite a bit more skill than a shotgun, but it is very rewarding to pop one off a limb at 40 yards.

I think you should find a mentor to go out with you to help jumpstart your hunting journey, but with youtube, forums, and books you could become quite successful with enough research.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    A decent-to-good .22LR rifle with a good sighting system is number 1 on the list. Second is a case of decent ammo to go with it, a case being 5,000 rounds...that being said, 1 box is enough to kill 50 of any animal in the State, if you are pretty good with the rifle. The other 4,950 rounds are for starting to get there. :)

The idea is to be a 3-4" shooter at 100 yards, on your feet. If you get there, you won't have shot placement troubles. If you don't have shot placement troubles, I guarantee you will have a better entrance into the world of hunting.

The drill is simple: put one of the little dessert paper plates at 100 steps, and shoot at it (or dry fire) until you keep them most all driven through the middle.

Guys are always saying things like "if Ah kin keep em on a pie plate at 100, Ah'm good-to-go". I'm happily here on the internet to tell you that under some duress, and with disagreeable environmental, most of those pie plate shooters become beach ball shooters, and where the former just BARELY gets it done, the latter is grossly inadequate-to-negligent.

A 4" shooter has enough leeway that even if her hit radius DOUBLES in the woods, she'll still hammer the shot when she has to. Make sense?

I also recommend books. Real hardback ones written by people who have been there, done that. The Wenzel brothers come to mind, but there are a good many others. Get a book or two on tracking wounded animals, and read it twice, thrice?

But don't spend $100 a year on subscriptions or dues either. A good portion of the pages of some of those magazines are devoted to selling "sh..tuff" to hunters and fishermen, as opposed to actual wisdom or even truth.

Find a mentor in shooting. Find a mentor in hunting. The two very much may not be the same person...all hunters can sorta shoot, but not necessarily well, and all Shooters worth being a mentor can obviously shoot, but that doesn't mean they know jack about putting rounds on meat.

The best thing you can do is be in the woods. With a weapon or without. With a mentor or without. You will only ever understand the woods on your own terms through spending time becoming part of it.

-Nate

Last edited:

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    What do you mean by a location of "West", by the way?

If you're not careful around here, somebody will take you under their wing, or know somebody who will....

-Nate

PaulWest

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2017
    West
    What do you mean by a location of "West", by the way?

If you're not careful around here, somebody will take you under their wing, or know somebody who will....

-Nate

Western part of the state. Required field.

Thanks for the input, too. From all of the incredibly helpful info I've received here (and elsewhere since I've started all of this research) I think one of the few things I've decided on is .22lr as my first hunting weapon.

Top Bottom