• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • eric001

Vaguely well-known member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Ok, so a friend got me to watch this video about a year ago, and though I have tried to figure it out on my own and looked through the interwebz, I am at a loss.

Does ANYBODY know what make/model call Peter Fiduccia is using around the 2:30 mark in this video?

[video=youtube;mopB6hhDyak]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mopB6hhDyak[/video]

Any and all help is much appreciated.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Often referred to as snort wheeze calls.

Knight and hale make one that looks more like a traditional call than the one he used.

When snorted at i often stop. Look. Listen. Slowly go for the buck grunt call. They know something is not normal just have not figured out what exactly is the issue yet.
    Stomp once with one foot then grunt once. Grunt calls can cause young bucks to run instantly if they have been getting beaten up during the rut. Mostly if it is before first light it is snort stomp snort run. And you will hear it and never see it.

When i I see this it is often a snort stomp snort more than a snort hesitation snort. If it is a group of deer then normally if one jumps they all run. During the rut I have been snorted the does ran off and the buck ran straight to me.

eric001

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I've been wanting to see if Fiduccia's advice works. I just can't quite get it right using just my mouth and other calls don't seem to make that noise--of course there's a good probability I've been doing it wrong, as I'm an amateur at calling. Once I get one of these things I'll see if I can't get it to make the right kinds of noises and actually try it in the woods once I'm sure I'm not going to sound like a retarded deer or some weird pseudo-deer thing.

Sadly, even if I had one today, my spot is so soaked from multiple days of rain I seriously doubt they'll be moving in all the mud for several days. Sigh.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Interesting. I've never heard anyone talk about snorting back at them. We occasionally get snorted at when walking in before daylight but it happens more frequently when walking out after dark when the deer have gone out into the field. I may have to pick one of these up and see if we can get them to calm down rather than eventually running than blowing out of the field.

I also thought they would blow if they smelled something unusual. Not sure where I may have heard it but thought the snort was their way of getting everything out of their nose to draw in a completely clear whiff to try and discern what they were smelling. Interesting stuff.

BiscuitsandGravy

Future 'shootered'
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 8, 2016
    At the Ranch.
    Interesting. I've never heard anyone talk about snorting back at them. We occasionally get snorted at when walking in before daylight but it happens more frequently when walking out after dark when the deer have gone out into the field. I may have to pick one of these up and see if we can get them to calm down rather than eventually running than blowing out of the field.

I also thought they would blow if they smelled something unusual. Not sure where I may have heard it but thought the snort was their way of getting everything out of their nose to draw in a completely clear whiff to try and discern what they were smelling. Interesting stuff.

A few weeks ago, at about 4:30am I 'caught' one under our apple trees in the backyard. I had just cracked open the back sliding door for some fresh air and he/she stood there snorting for a few minutes. I stepped outside and attempted to 'snort back' a couple times then I heard crashing through an adjacent bean field as it ran off. It kind of startled me because its usually dead quiet at 4:30 but he/she sounded most po'd.

eric001

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Either my Google-fu is weak or the original snort call no longer exists. All I can find is the bleat version. Guess I'll have to see if it's the same thing by a different name.

Anybody else have any luck finding an original?

Top Bottom