Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

User Info Menu

Coyote rifle (what caliber)

For those of you who hunt coyotes, what caliber would you choose if that was the guns only purpose?

and

Does anyone have any comments on T/C's Deminsion rifles?

Been asked to take out a growing pack of trouble makers and looking into a rifle setup.

Thanks

User Info Menu

Would depend on the terrain and the range of the closest/farthest shot.

Already have an AR? The AR (.223/5.56) is a good coyote round with quiet a bit of distance. The semi-auto and mag capacity also allows for quick follow up shots.
    "A man has three names: the name he inherits, the name his parents give him, and the name he makes for himself. A man may conquer a million men in battle but one who conquers himself is, indeed, the greatest of conquerors."

User Info Menu

Hubby uses a .223 varmint rifle.
    L.F.F.L.

Follow my son's journey as he travels Europe for the next year on this thread.

http://ingunowners.com/forums/break-...adventure.html or by reading his blog at www.sketchytravels.com

User Info Menu

w_ADAM

flat terrain with maybe a 2-300 yard setup. Asking because I do not know, but what would have that good front shoulder knock down power at that yardage with a smaller cartridge. What is a 6.5 creedmoor compaired to a .243.

User Info Menu

I have whacked them with several different kinds of guns.

Open country 2-3 hundred yards I would go 22-250 or possibly check into 204 Ruger. That's what I would recommend if you are saving pelts. If not Blas away with what you already have. As others have mentioned 223 is also a nice choice. With today's projectiles it can reach out. All depends on if your a handloading guy.
    I wont be wronged, I wont be insulted, and I wont be laid a hand on.

User Info Menu

.243 58 grain Winchester VarmintX
    A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week.

Marksman

User Info Menu

204 ruger is a wonderful coyote rifle. Low recoil, not too loud and fur friendly if you're saving pelts.

Livin' in the sticks!!!! ghitch75's Avatar

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by den57 View Post
    .243 58 grain Winchester VarmintX
    this.....they don't like them at all....
    "I got a shotgun,rifle and 4 wheel drive and country boy can survive!!!"

User Info Menu

I used a 222 for years and my shots were all under 150 yards. It did great for calling yotes and fox kills.
    I was given a nice 22-250 by my neighbor for killing so many yotes and ground hogs. Good caliber but a bit more than I needed.
    I bought my first .243 in '89 and haven't looked back. It's my favorite caliber for any game or varmit local to us around here.
    That being said... I keep an AR at the doors just for yotes and bad persons.
    The cost of shooting AR rounds is cheap. I like that.
    The more you sweat in training the less you bleed in battle.

Plinker

User Info Menu

I like ARs for yotes. Have a good scope though. That said I've been eying a 30-30 for general farm duty.

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast