Chigger Bites, Must resist urge to scratch....

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dugsagun

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    portage
    On the last day in arkansas my lil bro , me , my dad and nephew decided to do some shooting in the back field for about 2 hours. Half a week later and we all are tryin to resist the urge to scratch our bites into OBLIVION!!! I havent had chigger bites in years, but this time down on vacation it was warm and my ankles are on FIRE. I kinda remember my grandma sayin after a week u could scratch away, but looking into it on the internet yields a do not scratch at all, grrrrrrrrrrr. Oh and my nephew, apparently got some of his to my annoying as hell little sister and sister in law, so i guess it isnt all bad? Whats the old saying, misery loves company.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    They got me bad too last month when I was wading through thick johnson grass looking for a missing cat, I scratched like it was chicken pox all over lmao. Have a couple spots left on my feet/ankles that haven't completely healed yet but almost, shew!

senork

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    NW Indiana
    Try putting nail polish (clear or any color) on the chigger bites, it will smother the chiggers, and the itching will soon be relieved.

Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    Try putting nail polish (clear or any color) on the chigger bites, it will smother the chiggers, and the itching will soon be relieved.

FALSE. That is an old wives tale (and it was told to me by my parents too). By the time you notice the bites, the chiggers have fallen off (they do NOT burrow). The reason that the nail polish helps with the itching is that it cuts off oxygen to the bite, AND the placebo effect of thinking that you are killing the nasty things.

easy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2010
    SEOK
    More fun 'cures'.

Wife uses about a 1/4 cup bleach in a hot bath. Rub the crap out of them with a washrag. Seems to work in our house.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    FALSE. That is an old wives tale (and it was told to me by my parents too). By the time you notice the bites, the chiggers have fallen off (they do NOT burrow). The reason that the nail polish helps with the itching is that it cuts off oxygen to the bite, AND the placebo effect of thinking that you are killing the nasty things.

THIS... kinda. I think the relief has more to do with the nasty chemicals (like acetone) that burn/irritate and then seal off the wound from air.

I've had similar success with old school after bite. The ammonia based product that burns like the dickens. But damn if it doesnt stop the itch. I dont get as much relief from the new formula with numbing agents. The burn is a welcome sensation that the pain killers quench.

I had them a couple years ago on vacation after I walked through some tall weeds to get to an abandoned marina to fish. Skeeters hadnt been bad so I didnt think to put any bug spray on. stupid move.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Or even worse... Botfly Larvae...

[video=youtube;23eimVLAQ2c]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23eimVLAQ2c[/video]

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Mother in laws cure. Cover bites with nail polish. Weird but seems to work.

After today or Monday no chigger should be left. To cold.

Wife took a nice maybe spider bite on the forehead. She said she did not really feel it when she thinks it happened. She remember swatting the forehead in the shed. Put the rake back and saw the dead spider where she got the rake and swiped the head. Half hour lattes nice quarter size red mark with the small little hole in center like a spider.

Expatriated

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 22, 2013
    I've had them several times. The worst I ever got was in Trinidad. I scratch them early, often and as hard as I want. That's how I deal with them. I've had blood running down my ankles. That's the only thing I've found to take away the agony. I've found nothing that helps or speeds up the process.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Or even worse... Botfly Larvae...

[video=youtube;23eimVLAQ2c]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23eimVLAQ2c[/video]

I once at my lunch while sitting on a really dead cow. What can I say, it was a dare.:dunno:

But I will NOT click play on that video.:puke:

Top Bottom