• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • glank09

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 27, 2013
    Corunna
    All, when processing my own deer, I have never done any ground meat and always used that meat for jerky. I have recently gotten a smoker and sausage stuffer and gotten into snack sticks, so I would like to start grinding my venison for use in the snack sticks, no more than 3 deer worth in a year. What meat grinders does everyone use, preferably something that won’t break the bank. I am open to either manual or electric so long as it works well.

dnurk

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 20, 2012
    Boone County
    If you already own a kitchenaid heavy duty mixer they make a grinder attachment for the front of it. I’ve processed on average two deer per year with that grinder for the past decade and it works just fine. Probably a bit slower than a dedicated grinder but does just fine with our family.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    If you already own a kitchenaid heavy duty mixer they make a grinder attachment for the front of it. I’ve processed on average two deer per year with that grinder for the past decade and it works just fine. Probably a bit slower than a dedicated grinder but does just fine with our family.

This works, been using it for years.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart

Beat me to it. Kitchen Aide attachment is what i also use. Works decent and not to bad price wise if you already have the main unit

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    Beat me to it. Kitchen Aide attachment is what i also use. Works decent and not to bad price wise if you already have the main unit
    X4. I do two or three deer per year with mine.

And if you don't have the mixer, and are considering buying one, get one of the upgraded units with more hp than the base level unit. I got the step under the pro model, and the 40$ grinder attachment. It's light years ahead of the $100 gander mtn electric grinder it replaced.

nighthawk80

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    Trafalger
    Which version of the Kitchen aide grinders do you guys use. I'm mainly seeing the all plastic ones Is there an metal version that I'm missing? Several review of the plastic one states that they are cracking.

bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    I had/have a Kitchen aid grinder attachment and found it just took WAY TO LONG to grind plus when I was grinding a lot of meat it started getting hot. I decided that instead of burning up a stupid expensive mixer trying to grind I would just get a grinder.

I went through two of the cheap $100.00 grinders with mixed results and finally landed on the #32 hand grinder with the pulley attachment. Had a 3/4 hp electric motor in the garage and have never looked back. I can do 30lb of ground in 20 min including bagging. It takes me longer to clean than to grind one deer.

I think they run $60-80.00 from Rural King......WORTH EVERY PENNY!!!

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I've butchered with some friends that had a rig like bobjones223 is describing and it was very quick at processing. Probably would rig something like that if I ground more than I do, but we're down to two people and some sent to my sons.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    ...finally landed on the #32 hand grinder with the pulley attachment. Had a 3/4 hp electric motor in the garage and have never looked back. I can do 30lb of ground in 20 min including bagging. It takes me longer to clean than to grind one deer.

I think they run $60-80.00 from Rural King......WORTH EVERY PENNY!!!

I've butchered with some friends that had a rig like bobjones223 is describing and it was very quick at processing. Probably would rig something like that if I ground more than I do, but we're down to two people and some sent to my sons.

I bought one of these mounted on a base with motor a few years back. The guy said it was a beast. This makes me feel better about it, as I have never plugged it in.:rolleyes:

If I don't get more time to hunt or dumb luck into a backyard deer this year, thinking of buying some of the really good deals on beef I've seen advertised lately to grind. Also just sprung for a jerky cannon and some mixes to keep the dehydrator working.

glank09

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 27, 2013
    Corunna
    I ended up picking up a professional series Kitchenaid mixer. My wife has been asking for one for a while so I looked at them and let her talk me into buying one :). Always easier to spend that kind of money on something when they think it was their idea!

bwftame - I would seriously consider a 5 pound sausage stuffer over a jerky cannon. I tried with a jerky cannon and hated it. Ended up getting a Hakka brand on Amazon and I am going extremely happy with it.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    ...bwframe - I would seriously consider a 5 pound sausage stuffer over a jerky cannon. I tried with a jerky cannon and hated it. Ended up getting a Hakka brand on Amazon and I am going extremely happy with it.

Thanks for the advice. I'll look into that if I find the cannon doesn't do the job.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Top Bottom