• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Hunted a new farm this evening that we put a nice little 1/4 acre food plot on. Had a couple of does wander through on their way to the cornfield then my partner spotted something at the edge of the plot and asked me what it was. I took one look and said "bobcat!". I used to see them in Texas on occasion but never while I was hunting. We trapped one here in Fountain Co a few years back but the new place is in Tippecanoe Co. It was very cool to watch, for me anyway.

I think the only native mammal species we haven't seen yet here in Indiana are the mink and badger. I hope to some day get the list completed.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I've been seeing them more and more over the past couple years around where I live. I'm starting to think that's why I've been seeing less turkeys maybe too. I've called them in out coyote hunting as well. Cool animals for sure!

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Hunted a new farm this evening that we put a nice little 1/4 acre food plot on. Had a couple of does wander through on their way to the cornfield then my partner spotted something at the edge of the plot and asked me what it was. I took one look and said "bobcat!". I used to see them in Texas on occasion but never while I was hunting. We trapped one here in Fountain Co a few years back but the new place is in Tippecanoe Co. It was very cool to watch, for me anyway.

I think the only native mammal species we haven't seen yet here in Indiana are the mink and badger. I hope to some day get the list completed.

Saw a badger in Tippecanoe county while deer hunting 2 years ago.
    First time I've seen a badger in the wild, and I've been tromping around Indiana woods for more than 50 years.
    I'd love to see a bobcat in the wild.
    What part of Tippecanoe county, if you don't mind my asking?

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    I found a road-killed badger in Delaware Co. in the mid 1980's. The only one I've ever seen in Indiana, and that was in an area we'd hunted and trapped in for years.

Never seen an Indiana bobcat, but I've seen many, many mink over the years, in and around White River. Also, I know there are weasels in Indiana, but the only one i've ever seen was one that my brother caught in a fox set back in the '70s.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Speaking of native mammals... I saw my first wild otter a few weekends ago down at Spring Mill State Park. Two of them trotted out of the stream and up into the hill adjacent to the road. Was pretty cool.

I've yet to see any bobcats or badgers, though. BUT - I'm not a hunter.

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    22051189_10109008726925958_4802033691356197348_o.jpg

First (and so far only) time I've seen one...

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson

I hunted a spot overlooking a creek bottom on one of my hunting properties last year and every time I hunted it I saw a mink hunting/playing in the creek. I was kind of surprised since nowhere in the vicinity was the creek wider than 4 feet and in most places you could easily step across it. Even that property, the northern most I hunt, is way too far south for badgers though.

I've seen dozens of bobcats but none while hunting except in Texas.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I hunted a spot overlooking a creek bottom on one of my hunting properties last year and every time I hunted it I saw a mink hunting/playing in the creek. I was kind of surprised since nowhere in the vicinity was the creek wider than 4 feet and in most places you could easily step across it. Even that property, the northern most I hunt, is way too far south for badgers though.

I've seen dozens of bobcats but none while hunting except in Texas.

Not sure where your northern most property is located but they're in northern and central IN. https://secure.in.gov/dnr/fishwild/3384.htm

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    The first time (of only two) times I saw a mink, I thought we were going to scrap a bit.

I was sitting on/against a rotten-ish stump, with it's mostly-hollow rotting log beside me. REALLY cold morning...memorable now from even 15+ years ago.

Anyhow, right about dawn or shortly after, just as the woods were waking up, out pops this guy at my left elbow from what was apparently his front door. We stared at each other kinda dumbfounded for a second, and I would go so far as to say he wasn't ever really that scared, but he kinda turned around and went back down the log and out another hole to resume his morning.

Funny little animal. I sure wouldn't like to have had him decide to fight though. Not at that range.

I've only seen a bobcat once. Never a badger. One set of large cat tracks...very large. Oddly...never a pheasant.

-Nate

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana

River otter?

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    River otter?

Yep, we had a pair of them come through year before last. My hunting partner spotted them first and thought they were mink. I zoomed in with the camera as close as I could just as one came up with a fish in its mouth. We haven’t seen them since. I can’t imagine the creek they were in would support them so I’m guessing they were passing through looking for bigger waters.

1mil-high

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 30, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I got a trail camera picture of a bobcat last week about an hour south of Indianapolis. One of the guys I regularly hunt with saw a total of three while hunting last year too. They are certainly making a comeback.

Top Bottom