Hoosier National Forest | Target shooting | your locations?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyGuy17

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2016
    Indianapolis
    Hello INGunOwners,

I recently learned I can go to Hoosier National Forest and target shoot with my pistol. I’ve been viewing Google Maps on good locations and have seen a few questionable ones. I am wanting to know where do you go to target shoot there? And good hidden spots or good spots away from public? Thank You so much!!

9FECB5A5-5BDA-40ED-A115-0B34029A6C81.jpg

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I'm here to learn. Never done any shooting there but on my next visit I'm interested, so I'm just subbing in to see what people have to say!

IndyGuy17

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2016
    Indianapolis
    I'm here to learn. Never done any shooting there but on my next visit I'm interested, so I'm just subbing in to see what people have to say!
    Just learnt about this last week and ever since then I’ve got the itch to go now! Thought about running up to the HNF Office to ask them but not open on weekends :/

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    The only time I've shot out there, we set up along where the gas pipeline runs. It's cleared of all brush for a pretty wide swath. (30 yards, maybe? It's been probably 3 years ago, so I don't remember.) We found a spot where the crests of the hills were far enough apart that we were shooting at 250 yards. Drove right there on a gravel road.

IndyGuy17

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2016
    Indianapolis
    The only time I've shot out there, we set up along where the gas pipeline runs. It's cleared of all brush for a pretty wide swath. (30 yards, maybe? It's been probably 3 years ago, so I don't remember.) We found a spot where the crests of the hills were far enough apart that we were shooting at 250 yards. Drove right there on a gravel road.
    Sounds like a good area there!

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    As noted above, please don't use trees as a backstop. Be aware of and considerate of other forest users (note where trails and nearby houses are), and be sure of your backstop, and please police your garbage. Leave the area better than you found it.

Yeah, I said houses up there. From the maps it may look like the Forest units are large solid blocks but they are really more fragmented than they appear with inholdings and private property.

Have fun, but don't be like some folks who feel like just because no one is around to tell them to behave they are free to be a-holes.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Being one of those people who live in the HNF area we would appreciate it if you listen to Shibumi's words.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    I know a couple of spots, but TBH I'm hesitant to share them on a public forum for fear that some douchenozzles will trash the place or fire off a billion rounds of rifle ammo and get the whole place shut down to recreational shooters. On the occasion that I go out there to shoot, I don't stay particularly long and I don't shoot a large quantity of rifle calibers. I stay far, far clear of any houses or hiking trails. I clean up all my **** so nobody can tell I was there.

If you spook people or make a nuisance of yourself, hikers or residents WILL call 911 on you, DNR WILL go out there and find you, and they WILL find something to cite you for just because you wasted their time going out to deal with you. Then, somebody higher up will read the report or hear the story, shake their head, and go "Why do we even let these yahoos shoot out there anyway? It's completely dangerous and irresponsible. They should go to a range". Just like that, it'll be ruined for everyone, and it ain't coming back once that happens. Banning target shooting in a particular national forest is a bureaucratic decision, not a political one. There's no constitutional amendment or law protecting your ability to set up targets, blast 500 rounds of 7.62, then leave all your trash behind. The only reason any of us are allowed to do this is that a few administrative folks haven't yet decided that we can't.

I happen to know a certain place right off a certain highway where people apparently like to shoot. Shot up stumps, pieces of clay pigeons everywhere, shredded targets, beer cans, half-burned garbage, blasted 2-liters, casings all over the place, and all this shooting happening practically within view of passing automobile traffic. Sadly it seems like there's always going to be someone who can't be trusted to use a privilege responsibly.

Top Bottom