• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bollerman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2011
    Ok, I'll admit I'm not an expert. So if your rifle cartridge must be: .357-inch diameter or larger, have a minimum case length of 1.16 inches, and have a maximum case length of 1.8 inches if used on public land What does that leave me for options? .308, .223 (5.56), 7.63mm are all too small. Shotgun slug is too long. What are my options?

I bought an AR a few years back figuring it would be ok for hunting, but I was wrong so I have not used it for that. If I'm going to get a new rifle for hunting, I need to know what to look for. Any help is appreciated.

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    Ok, I'll admit I'm not an expert. So if your rifle cartridge must be: .357-inch diameter or larger, have a minimum case length of 1.16 inches, and have a maximum case length of 1.8 inches if used on public land What does that leave me for options? .308, .223 (5.56), 7.63mm are all too small. Shotgun slug is too long. What are my options?

I bought an AR a few years back figuring it would be ok for hunting, but I was wrong so I have not used it for that. If I'm going to get a new rifle for hunting, I need to know what to look for. Any help is appreciated.

You have multiple options even for the AR. 450 Bushmaster, 458 Socom, anything within those parameters. There are a bunch of lever gun and single shot rifles in pistol cartridges. 44 mag, 357 mag 45 Long Colt. The DNR has a list of examples. And this just applies to pistol caliber rifles. Shotguns are in a completely different category. Length does not apply. 12 ga, 16ga, 20ga. and I believe even .410. are all legal.

Paul30

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    What if the Shotgun has a rifled barrel?
    Then it will likely be more accurate, but still not as accurate as a real metal cased rifle. Many use rifled "slug" barrels. Outside the stupid law of not allowing Indiana residents use the same effective firearm the rest of the country uses, the pistol caliber rifles seem like a good option, or a rifle caliber pistol. Some use a Lone Eagle type pistol in normal caliber like 308.

Paul30

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    Then it is a .73 caliber rifle..
    No, it is a shotgun with a rifled slug barrel. It should be more accurate, much like using a round ball in a sling shot rather than a flat shaped rock. More accurate, but still not as accurate as a real rifle the rest of the country uses to hunt.

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    Then it will likely be more accurate, but still not as accurate as a real metal cased rifle. Many use rifled "slug" barrels. Outside the stupid law of not allowing Indiana residents use the same effective firearm the rest of the country uses, the pistol caliber rifles seem like a good option, or a rifle caliber pistol. Some use a Lone Eagle type pistol in normal caliber like 308.

I'm going to have to disagree with this. For ranges at 150 yards on in, a shotgun set up properly, is just as accurate as any HPR. My 20ga shoots groups just as good as my Tikka T3X .308 with Vortex Viper HS glass on it. Both guns shoot very good groups, but in my experience, I'm not seeing any accuracy difference between the two at 150 yards on in. :twocents: Note: This is using off the shelf ammo (20ga. 2 3/4 " Lightfield EXP Sobots & Hornaday .308 SST 150gr). I'm sure you if started using hand loads to match the individual rifle, the .308 would be more accurate, but when you are shooting MOA at 100 yards with both 20ga, and .308, what is the point, you are using these guns for hunting which is plenty good enough.

Last edited:

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    This whole thing is embarrassing. I don't remember off the top of my head who wrote the law, but please call them up and berate them for being dumbasses.

Top Bottom